Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540371 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2460 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:31 PM »
It's truly lookin' better by the day.     :thumbsup: :clap:

See ya on the ice.    ;)2

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2461 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:42 PM »
I stopped by spirit lake today, the boat launch is froze but looks pretty slushy and a couple hundred yards out was open so didn't bother to get out and try to measure. That is the lake I am wanting to freeze up the most. I would like to try my hand at the kokanee, my grandpa used to do very well there.

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2462 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Does anyone know if parking is allowed on the south end of Cocolalla along the railroad tracks?  I used to park there, but haven't fished there for a couple years due to poor ice.  I heard the railroad police were chasing people out of there.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2463 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Thank you very much for the update!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2464 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Does anyone know if parking is allowed on the south end of Cocolalla along the railroad tracks?  I used to park there, but haven't fished there for a couple years due to poor ice.  I heard the railroad police were chasing people out of there.
It's not just a chase, ha.

Best turn in toward the west, cross the tracks and snoop out some parking toward the lake, a short walk.    ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2465 on: Dec 13, 2016, 12:22 AM »
well going to try and fish the little bit of safe ice Avondale has tomorrow I will have my ice picks and rope handy
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline DR0CK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2466 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:55 AM »
How's that ice?

Offline dbluff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2467 on: Dec 13, 2016, 12:17 PM »
RayneBidziil22, how was/ is the ice on Avondale bud? Hopefully I can catch up with you again out there this year.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2468 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:50 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Hauser? Is there ice? Are there decent perch there?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2469 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:31 PM »
Double posting this here....

Does anyone have any way to cook farmed trout that makes them edible? I've tried smoking, frying, baking, grilling... Always the same result. Mushy, inedible, muddy taste. :(

That's mostly what you catch out of Spring Valley and Moose Creek Reservoirs which are the closest ice fishing to my location.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2470 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I don't know anything about fishing Hauser, but the news on the radio this morning said that a dog fell through the ice on Newman lake which is not that far from Hauser. They rescued the dog and he is gonna be ok.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2471 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Update on Upper Twin north of Rathdrum.  2" -2 1/2" near the dock.  Little or no snow on the lake. Might be safe by the weekend.  Lower Twin still open water with some thin ice forming on the north end. It will be a while for that one.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2472 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Hey BlueDuck,

Ran into you two years ago on Round lake. Any idea if the perch in upper twin are bigger than fingerlings now? That's all we could find two years ago through the ice.

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2473 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:46 PM »
Drove by cocollala this morning 9:30 and it was mostly sealed over, just a few little water spots. stopped at sportsmans access and it was 1/8 inch thick at the ramp. Soooo maybe if, big IF, the wind doesn't destroy it, It will seal up nice tonight and start building ice.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2474 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Thanks Gills!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2475 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:31 PM »
do to some unexpected things I was unable to get out but the last last I checked Avondale had 3"-4" of clear ice with about 3"of snow and this was the first part of the lake the rest was starting to freeze over and with the single digits in the weather forecast this week I have high hopes to try and find out how thick it's gotten, now I've made plans to definitely go out tomorrow and fish.
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2476 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Huge, I remember you.  Not sure how big the perch are going to be on Upper Twin this year.  They have been mostly dinks through the ice for the last ten years or so.  I keep hoping they will start getting bigger.  There are a lot of pike in that lake and that might start making a difference one of these days.   I fish that lake a lot in the spring and summer and I do very well on crappie.  I catch one once in a while through the ice but only hit and miss.  One thing that might  add some excitement to the ice fishing on this lake this year is the addition of blue gills.  This last summer while crappie fishing I caught a lot of 7 - 9" blue gills. These were real blue gills, not the little red ears or other sunfish. 

Upper Twin is usually one of the first lakes in the area to have safe ice.  It close to home so I tend to fish it a lot.  The pike fishing can be good too but its usually slow.

Lower Twin has bigger perch and also blue back.  It can be good for both but is normally a two weeks or more later then the upper lake for safe ice.   

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2477 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:13 AM »
well off to the lake is go this fishaholic  is tired of waiting  (I'm fishing on safe is so not worried to much  just worried about getting fish)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2478 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for the info Blue!

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2479 on: Dec 14, 2016, 04:14 PM »
 Took a bit of an expedition this morning to check out the conditions. A couple of tents on Avondale and a single guy fishing upper Twin about 40 yards off the boat launch. Looks like it's time to take an "Office Monday," and get out!
 :tipup:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2480 on: Dec 14, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Took a bit of an expedition this morning to check out the conditions. A couple of tents on Avondale and a single guy fishing upper Twin about 40 yards off the boat launch. Looks like it's time to take an "Office Monday," and get out!
 :tipup:
those two tent were me and a friend  ice is 3" (1" of clear and 2" of frozen  snow ) caught a lot of perch  (well over 40 for me and my friend caught about 36 perch and one trout) wind got the best of us but we got a lot of fish

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2481 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Hey thanks for the info!! Maggots for bait?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2482 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:57 PM »
worms and maggots

sihlms391

« Reply #2483 on: Dec 15, 2016, 12:29 AM »
I think by Monday a few lakes will be ready.  I am ready. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2484 on: Dec 15, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Okay I didn't want to jinks it but yeah maybe we got us a ice fishing season going here.  ;D

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2485 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:01 AM »
The ice would be forming in a hurry if there wasn't snow on top of it.  Any ice I have seen so far has had 4" of slop as you walk and only 2-3" of good ice below that. By Monday hopefully things will lock up and we can begin this season safely. Usually, I'm one of the first on the ice and i have decided to wait until after this cold snap.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2486 on: Dec 16, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Avondale ice is getting thicker what I fished on a few days ago is now thicker

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2487 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Just looked at the extended forecast.  Rain and 43 on the way.  Be careful out there next week.  May try Fernan on Sunday and watch the Packers on my mini tv.

Packernut

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2488 on: Dec 17, 2016, 10:57 AM »
All night time temps below freezing for foreseeable future. Be nice if the snow on top turns to ice and then I can pulled my shanty wherever I want.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2489 on: Dec 17, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Saw 5 guys fishing on Upper Twin today.  Walked out and checked the ice.  4" of solid clear ice.  Only about a 1/2 " of snow on top.  Might give it a try tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.