Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540326 times)

Offline Yellowice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2370 on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Fished granite lake Fri/Sat.  4" of good ice with 2" of slush holding on top.  Caught some descent rainbows and one bass.  Early morning was great.  Afternoon was pretty quiet.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2371 on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty Yellowice and thank you for report.       :clap:

Offline Yellowice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2372 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Appreciate that and you are welcome.  Time to give back  :)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2373 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:46 PM »
That sounds safe Mike.    Thanks.     ;)2

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2374 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Total ice out !   Sunnyside/Oden Bay.       :cookoo:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2375 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Think Ill dig the boat out of the snow bank.  Its still early yet, but the long range forecast looks like more of the same.

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2376 on: Jan 23, 2016, 03:34 PM »
We were off to a great start ....... To bad the ice didn't hold out , I did dig the boat out last weekend and fished Cda . The catching was good and I didn't have to worry about going for a swim . Bummer about the ice ,  the fishing was pretty good , And we were able to get a couple of new guy's hooked . Wish we could of made it to more lakes .

Offline thechubbycubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2377 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:33 AM »
What did u catch out of cda this time of year

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2378 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:07 PM »
We caught 4 salmon with the biggest at just under 10 lbs the other three were under 20'' and last Sat only 1 fish at 7lbs. I would rather be on the ice this time of year as the season is so short ...........I drove by twin on my way to work at  priest and saw some rig's parked by the driving range is anyone on the ice up there?

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2379 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Does anyone know how the ice is Kelso or Granite?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2380 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:21 AM »
That's everyone's question on how the ice is weither it is Hayden, Avondale, or Kelso
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2381 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:06 PM »
I went out on Avondale this afternoon. There was about 6 ft of water between shore and the ice. Using a broken tree branch and my spud bar I was able to get on the ice. The ice was 6 in thick white and solid. Getting on the ice is the tricky part. I will go out there this weekend. I did not fish as there was no one else out. The ice was slick as snot. It was raining pretty good which did not do much for my motivation.

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2382 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Checked out Granite this morning.  Ice was around 5 inches, all white and really soft.  The creek inlet is open about 40-50 feet into the lake.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2383 on: Feb 01, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Is the season over or our people still finding decent ice somewhere?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2384 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I know where some ice is still and people are getting pike if that's what you are looking for
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2385 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I know where some ice is still and people are getting pike if that's what you are looking for

I love a good pike bite on tip-ups. I really just want to get out before the ice is totally shot.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2386 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Then go to hayden I was out there had to leave early seen 3 flags and 2 fish I caught 3 eater size perch

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2387 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Lower Twin is still good ,If you want some perch and a few crappie .......Look's like it will hold up at least thru the weekend .

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2388 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:07 PM »
How is the ice looking on lower twin cause I might go there just for the crappies

Offline thechubbycubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2389 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Is spirit lake still frozen over and I dont see much chatter about people fishing it all that much. Is it any good?

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2390 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:29 PM »
I drove up to Spirit today and the main lake is all open water. The launch at Nautical Rd hasn't been plowed but I walked down to the dock and spudded a hole. There was 4 inches of not good enough ice for me, lot of slush.  Fished Twin  instead.

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2391 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Right now I'm on Avondale. I have 5 in of solid ice. Bringing a 2×10×12 sure makes it easy to get on the ice

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2392 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Saturday we caught some nice perch on lower twin with a couple of crappie , Every thing in 32' of water.........Ice is still good , a 1" layer of half frozen snow/slush over 5"-6" of ice . Some of the guy's were catching a few silver's. Sure was windy we staked the hut first thing ,and caught one sled from a fisherman from across the lake that blew our way . He had a long walk.....

Offline skullbus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2393 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Lower Twin was more than sketchy today  .........3"-4" maybe .... Ice out .  Put all the gear away today !  The catching was good last Sat , a lot of nice fish ,  I can't wait to get the boat out as soon as the ice is gone . Good luck everyone  I'll see you on the water !!!!!!!

Offline thechubbycubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2394 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:08 PM »
So as ive mentioned earlier, I am moving to spirit lake in beginning of april n ive done as much research as I can about the local lakes for the past two years. I heard there is an amazing amount of kokanee in spirit lake. Being from illinois, ive never caught one. Are they good eaters? Do they taste like a mini salmon? Do u fillet them or gut them? Do most people smoke them? I am so excited to move that I cant contain myself. Thanks

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2395 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Yeah you can get kokanne out of spirit lake but they are small you would get bigger ones out of hayden, cda, and some other lakes  spirit lake kokanne I have learned are not worth it you would need 3-4 fish to equal 1 fish from hayden (spirit lake kokanne 8" big, hayden  11" small 15" big) but yes kokanne at any of the lakes will taste of salmon 

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2396 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:13 PM »
I stopped by spirit tonight, it was dark but could see ice still at the boat launch. Go figure, not enough ice to fish on but too much ice to get a boat in.

Offline thechubbycubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2397 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:38 AM »
So do u smoke kokankee?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2398 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:43 AM »
I smoke, grill, pan fry, bake, and will be canning them

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2399 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:51 AM »
So as ive mentioned earlier, I am moving to spirit lake in beginning of april n ive done as much research as I can about the local lakes for the past two years. I heard there is an amazing amount of kokanee in spirit lake. Being from illinois, ive never caught one. Are they good eaters? Do they taste like a mini salmon? Do u fillet them or gut them? Do most people smoke them? I am so excited to move that I cant contain myself. Thanks

First off, welcome to N.Idaho. Next, Kokanee are very good eat. Like other salmon, you don't want to eat them when close to or during spawn (mushy meat).They are essentially a lake locked sockeye. I usually gut them like a trout and they are great smoked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.