Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540184 times)

sihlms391

Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2250 on: Dec 24, 2015, 01:14 PM »
6 years ago I remember 2: feet snow on ice.  It was work going across.  I have to practice with my snow shoes. 

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2251 on: Dec 25, 2015, 01:41 AM »
Ok so have a question for all who fish Avondale do you think a rope rail would be good for walking up and down the hill (the one near the parking lot) if so I will talk to the golf course there and get the go ahead to make a " temporary" one.
Also I'll be heading there tomorrow to check ice conditions

Hahaa, I usually just lay on my gear and slide down on my sled. I wear ice cleats, so I can usually get up without any problems, but a rope would definitely help out. Especially now, with all the snow.
 We are supposed to get some single digits and teens for the next week or so. Hopefully all the snow doesn't keep it from freezing up good.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2252 on: Dec 25, 2015, 03:49 AM »
Well I got the go ahead from the golf course they just said take it down by spring
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2253 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:22 AM »
That is going to be very nice. Pretty unsafe getting on the ice initially if you slide down the hill and onto the ice to test it!

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2254 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:17 AM »
That is going to be very nice. Pretty unsafe getting on the ice initially if you slide down the hill and onto the ice to test it!
I never go out til after I've seen lots of folks out on the ice already.    :)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2255 on: Dec 26, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Is there anywhere in the panhandle that is safe to fish yet? What's everyone's opinion on the first lakes to be ready?

Thanks.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2256 on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:42 AM »
CMS, I've always heard Round Lake in the State Park was first to freeze.       ;)2

sihlms391

« Reply #2257 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Granite and kelso lake are usually the first frozen.  Drove up there today.  The lakes are frozen but almostinch milky ice.  It will be at least a week still.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2258 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:08 PM »
How thick was the ice on Kelso
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

sihlms391

« Reply #2259 on: Dec 26, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Almost inch milky white ice.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2260 on: Dec 26, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Not good news for Chain Lake ice.  Thompson ice is a slush layer about three inches with NO hard ice.  There is some open water beginning to freeze up, but the lake is ringed with SLUSH.   Black Lake had open water thatwas beginning to freeze, but again the access areas are frozen snow slush fields.  Temperature this afternoon wqas up to 27  degrees.  Any report on Fernan for ice conditions?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2261 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Open water now means good ice later as this week should lock 'em up.   Snow covered now means ice could forming unevenly.  If the edge is slush that's better than fully covered with snow.  So are any of the lakes blanketed in lots of snow?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2262 on: Dec 26, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Any snow I saw on the lakes had melted into the slush layer.  I didn't see any snow on the ice. Most of the new ice without slush was beginning to form outside of the shallow bays.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2263 on: Dec 26, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Stjoemitch, I haven't been by Fernan since the 23rd but it was just skim. I could throw a snowball through it. Hopefully we'll have some ice somewhere by the new year.

sihlms391

« Reply #2264 on: Dec 27, 2015, 02:36 AM »
I bet by next Saturday there will be ice.  Three inches of clear ice is all I need. 

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2265 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Has anyone checked out upper or lower twin lakes.? It stays pretty cold and windy most of the winter.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2266 on: Dec 28, 2015, 01:34 PM »
(YAHOO ICE) was out on Avondale lake today with some nice 4" ice. Got me 2 trout (1 had a tag) and a dozen or more perch

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2267 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:11 PM »
(YAHOO ICE) was out on Avondale lake today with some nice 4" ice. Got me 2 trout (1 had a tag) and a dozen or more perch

Let us know what you win for that tag.      :clap:

1st stop: Fish & game office.     ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2268 on: Dec 28, 2015, 03:08 PM »
It was one of those call in no money ones

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2269 on: Dec 28, 2015, 03:25 PM »
It was one of those call in no money ones

Well, rats !      :%$#!:

I was wishing you 5 Grand.      :flex:

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2270 on: Dec 28, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I once caught a perch that had a $100 tag in it.  I told my wife that since I'm getting paid to fish I could quite my job and fish full time.  She said $100 every 40 years isn't quite enough.

>:(

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2271 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Well all I care right now is getting ready for tomorrow I'm going for those trout and perch

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2272 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Checked out Chase Lake today.  Not much snow on the top (the dock had a foot on it).  Stood on the dock and could punch the spud through in one or two whacks.  Drilled a hole and it was 2 1/2 inches....no layers, but not as hard as it should be.  Definitely need some more cold time before it gets good enough to walk on. 

I might check out Blue Lake in another day or two....but I'm not holding my breath for anything just yet.  The snow up in the Priest Lake/Priest River area was enough to blanket a sketchy ice layer and even though the temps haven't been above freezing for several days ( and a few nights in the single digits) things aren't forming much at all.

Anything on Round Lake yet?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2273 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:37 PM »
plfish, I plan on having a look at Round Lake tomorrow.      ;)2

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2274 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:43 PM »
That would be great Gator....definitely looking for a place that is ready to go.  Driving to Avondale in CDA is just a bit too far for me in the next few days. 

Blue Lake and Chase generally freeze fairly early and usually are ahead of the Sandpoint area lakes but every few years when we get a dump of snow after a warm spell in December (like this year) they tend to lag behind the rest of north Idaho. We need one little arctic blast to reset things!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2275 on: Dec 28, 2015, 07:09 PM »
CARELESS what you wish for, ha,ha

Offline atholmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2276 on: Dec 28, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I went by Kelso and Granite today. Off the end of the docks the ice was 2 in at Kelso and 3.5 in at Granite lk. The ice was milky at both lks. I AM going out on Granite this weekend. I love the taste of those trout out at Granite. Has anybody heard anything about Mirror.

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2277 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Just checked Fernan. Someone punched a couple holes 10' out from the dock. About 3" of ice but really milky and open water past the main point. Should be good by the weekend. Be careful out there.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2278 on: Dec 29, 2015, 01:20 PM »
3" of milky ice is not very good.  Need a report on the east end. In the past I have found more ice down there than the west end.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2279 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Anyone checked Sportsman's at Hayden? 

Rayne, I know they stocked trout in late November in Avondale.  How big are the perch there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.