Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540139 times)

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #2190 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:37 PM »
I've been so busy with work, trying to sell my house, and chasing deer elk and waterfowl that I almost forgot about ice fishing. Now work just needs to slow down so I can get my gear together. Hopefully we get a bit of a longer season this time around

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2191 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:54 PM »
I got my deer elkhuntinfool  also been waterfowl hunting plus I drive now
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2192 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Congrats Rayne.    ;)2 :clap:

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2193 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Ice thixkness at Fernan? 

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2194 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:14 AM »
4 inches off the dock at Perkins.  I was alone so I only drilled off the dock.  Ice looks good but we need 3 more cold nights.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2195 on: Dec 01, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Hayden almost completely frozen at sportsman's access  (give it a week and we should have it fully frozen and then another week after that  before we can fish it
Avondale  100% frozen  (not including the open holes do to deer falling through) give it a week and a half before it might be 3" of ice
Be safe and good luck
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2196 on: Dec 01, 2015, 12:07 PM »

I fished perkins yesterday, was kinda slow but I managed to put enough gills on ice for supper. ice is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 throughout the lake but still need to watch for springs. gills average about 7 1/2 inches.

fished dawson this morning 4 inches ice did fair for 8in crappie  fished 17ft water

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2197 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Headed to Perkins tomorrow, fished your holes on Dawson, small gills small perch. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2198 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Some of you may like catching stockers/planters.

News from Idaho Fish & Game about Avondale Lake:    Click it.

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2199 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Wife and I fished Dawson again this morning from daylight to 0845 , same place as yesterday and did well on crappie 8- 8 1/2 inches.  It's going to warm up some now so I hope the ice hold up.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2200 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:09 PM »
If we get the rain that is forecast, the lakes in Boundary Co. will not be safe.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2201 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:07 AM »
Let's hope the forecast is wrong as usual.       :woot: :roflmao:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2202 on: Dec 03, 2015, 02:08 AM »
Well I'm going to Hayden  (sportsman's access) and if the ice melted some I'll do a little waterfowl hunting but if it did not melt I'll tell you how much is on it like % wise

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2203 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:35 AM »
West end of Thompson had three inches of ice on the west end, however this warm up might stop the lake from freezing  over for awhile.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2204 on: Dec 03, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Round Lake is 90% iced over.  Probably 3/4 of an inch at the docks.   OK start, but won't hold up long if it warms up like the forecast calls for.  I  think its just teasing us.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2205 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:06 PM »
I think I could break up 3/4" with my john boat, BlueDuck.     ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2206 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Fernan was looking good a couple days ago on the SW end. Today there is close to an inch of standing water on it. If this rain and above freezing keeps up all that early ice will be shot.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2207 on: Dec 04, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Gator... After today there probably isn't any ice to break.    I usually figure any year we are ice fishing before Christmas is a pretty good year. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2208 on: Dec 04, 2015, 07:19 PM »
BlueDuck, you have seen RL for many more years than I have, even though I put up camp here in '72, never made it to Rl until finding the truth that 'ice is nice' , ha.  Only a few years, really.
Seems to be the vast farm-land streams, feeding Cocolalla and then Round, heat & current are a big factor.
And, then it rains & rains.     (Rats) lol

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2209 on: Dec 07, 2015, 12:31 AM »
Hayden lost a lot of the ice that was once there (waterfowl hunting has picked up more due to that) fernan still has some open water.

Dear god give me frozen lakes and a light snow before Christmas

sihlms391

« Reply #2210 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:34 AM »
This year will be same as last year.  I only got a month of ice fishing in last year.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2211 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Moose Creek Res. had 3" plus of good ice, but it was raining today and an inch of water on top and no freezing nighttime temps will ruin the cap that is on there now.  Did manage a limit of trout.

sihlms391

« Reply #2212 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I am starting to get the itch now.  Hope to try to catch pike this year.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2213 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:10 AM »
Well sihlms391 I have had that itch for a while thus the reason I have 20 tip-ups and about 4rods for pike bought 5 new leaders (y rigs aka quick strike rigs) and 2 new sleds and a new ice hut and i already have 2 bags of herrings, plus a bag of smelt I ordered, and some other fish. So I think I'm almost done prepping but I'm not sure yet

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2214 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:40 AM »
BlueDuck, you have seen RL for many more years than I have, even though I put up camp here in '72, never made it to Rl until finding the truth that 'ice is nice' , ha.  Only a few years, really.
Seems to be the vast farm-land streams, feeding Cocolalla and then Round, heat & current are a big factor.
And, then it rains & rains.     (Rats) lol
  I like to watch how the ice forms on the lakes I fish the most.  Different parts freeze at different rates a lot of the time.  I have noticed both Round and Cocolalla ice up in patches.  Not uncommon for it to be 4 or 5 inches and safe in one place and only 2 or 3 inches in others.  First ice can be tricky and I like to map it, at least in my mind.   A little later in the winter when you see the idiots skating, skiing or using snow machines as if its all the same and safe.   Ma nature has a way of weeding out the weaker brain cells...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2215 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Yup, lot to learn from watching it form and deteriorate. 
 I thought about helping ma nature thin out the wheeler idiots doing top speed on Cocolalla, when they run through your spread.     Grrr !   
 I keep the tactical light at hand & the strobe gets their attention.   If you reach under your coat they really back off.      :woot: :roflmao:

sihlms391

« Reply #2216 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:53 AM »
At least lake levels will come up from all this rain.  If long range forecast is right lakes will be ready by first year.

sihlms391

« Reply #2217 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Maybe it is time to move somewhere that gets cold earlier so I can ice fish sooner.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2218 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:57 PM »
  I like to watch how the ice forms on the lakes I fish the most.  Different parts freeze at different rates a lot of the time.  I have noticed both Round and Cocolalla ice up in patches.  Not uncommon for it to be 4 or 5 inches and safe in one place and only 2 or 3 inches in others.  First ice can be tricky and I like to map it, at least in my mind.   A little later in the winter when you see the idiots skating, skiing or using snow machines as if its all the same and safe.   Ma nature has a way of weeding out the weaker brain cells...
What's the thinnest ice or the area last to freeze on Cocolalla, Blue Duck?

sihlms391

« Reply #2219 on: Dec 12, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I have two days off this week.  Is there any ice up north?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.