Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540257 times)

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1110 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Thanks guys, i know we have a post for pictures but i had to get it in the North Idaho Ice forum to get everyone fired up! Let's get fishing!!! :tipup:
Tiger Stripe

idfishnhunt

« Reply #1111 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:03 PM »
That's a beauty!  Congrats!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1112 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Wow Teamtigerstripe, that one looks better than me.  :woot: :roflmao:

NEWS FLASH      Just received word that ice fishers are on the North end on Cocolalla Lake.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1113 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM »
that look on your face is priceless!

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1114 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:19 PM »
FYI. Drove by the condos sunday. Nobody on the ice and it looked thin from the road

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1115 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:40 PM »
nice pike

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1116 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Nice Gator.  Now tell us.  What did it take to get that bite?  What bait fooled that old gal? Tip-up or jigging?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1117 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Checked Round Lake today.  Drilled two holes.  First one was pretty close to shore and it was 4". Next one was at the end of the docks half way between the two.  3" there.  I saw some foot prints and holes out a hundred feet but didn't go out there. 
Then I checked Cocolalla.  About 6 people scattered around fishing.  Walked out to talk to some fishermen and they were catching some perch. They were on 3" of ice.  I drilled severa holes and it really depends on where you drill.  Some places were only 2 ".   Im going to wait a few days befor I fish either of these lakes.  They froze real spotty and the thickness varies on both of them.  Be careful.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1118 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Hey BlueDuck, I checked Round Lake also, about 2:30. Saw one car, a nature hiker, maybe?
Those holes out a hundred feet looked very wet, about 15 or 20 feet across.
I sorta thought it was springy ice with lots of pucker power. It kept me in me car, ha.
How's the Stingray?

sihlms391

« Reply #1119 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:17 PM »
blueduck.  I was out on round  Friday and those are my foot prints out there.  .Where the foot prints end it was pretty thin.  Maybe and inch and a half.  I went off the side that you can launch your boat.  It spooked me pretty good. 

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1120 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Bullpine, Just using tip-ups with smelt. Oh, and a little bit of special scent put into the gills.  If you go to the "pictures" category at the top, look at the post tippin up.  That was our weekend catch.   :tipup:
Tiger Stripe

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1121 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:27 PM »
Wow it really was worth lookin in the photo section for that catch.  Good job.   What a bunch of northern.  I was going to try the perch I saved in the freezer but maybe I need to spring for some of those smelt.   

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1122 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Just a tip on the frozen perch. I have found that if the have been frozen for a while. They will float. I put them in a bucket of water over night to get them to suck up water.

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1123 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 AM »
We had a perch on one of the  :tipup: and it got hit twice and caught one off of it, so that wouldn't be a bad idea.
Tiger Stripe

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1124 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:58 AM »
We had a perch on one of the  :tipup: and it got hit twice and caught one off of it, so that wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you dont mind me asking how do you rig you purch up. Has an old boy show me how. Take the head and the dorsal fin off cut the guts and leave them attached and hanging out.

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1125 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Just like you would a smelt, treble in the head and a sliding treble under the dorsal.  Make sure to squeeze and pop the air sack.
Tiger Stripe

Offline Ziceman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1126 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Just a dumb question but I thought it was illegal to us any game fish as bait or dosen't Idaho consider perch a game fish?

Offline strgn8r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1127 on: Jan 17, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Not true.  If there is a size limit it has to be used whole. And it has to be counted in your daily bag limit if there is one.  We use game fish all the time for sturgeon.

Tight lines,
Len

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1128 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Also, they have to be dead fish. Unfortunately, in Idaho, we can't use live fish as bait. Otherwise, we'd be nailing those gators right and left

:tipup:

sihlms391

« Reply #1129 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:42 PM »
anybody been fishing round lake.  Heard there was some guys fishing on the east side.  was hoping to get some more recent report.

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1130 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Friendly reminder, I saw this on the police blotter yesterday.

4:59 p.m. Idaho Department of Fish & Game: A warning for all ice fishing folks on Cocolalla Lake. BNSF railroad is ticketing everybody that crosses the tracks or parks on their posted property on the south end of the lake. In addition they are towing vehicles. The only public access is from the north end on the IDFG boat access property.

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1131 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I'm thinking of trying my luck this Saturday. Anyone been to the Hayden Sportmans Access or maybe Upper Twin or lower Twin off Par 3 Road? I would even consider Coco or Round. Been a cold week, maybe the ice has tightened up.

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1132 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:07 PM »
I was on upper twin last friday the ice was 5-6" think around the edges but as you get further the ice as only 3-4 inches. was able to catch a few perch. Anybody been out to hauser was thinking of going out there tomorrow and was wondeing if anyone had tried it yet.

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1133 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I'm thinking of trying my luck this Saturday. Anyone been to the Hayden Sportmans Access or maybe Upper Twin or lower Twin off Par 3 Road? I would even consider Coco or Round. Been a cold week, maybe the ice has tightened up.

I was out on Hayden last Sunday and saw one pike pulled on a tip up the second we got there, but nothing after that. The ice was awesome; very clear and solid. Probably 5 inches or so. It's been cold all week, I'd imagine there's more now. Was also on upper twin the same day catching a bucket load of smaller perch; bait size really.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1134 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Fished Round Lake today.  4" of ice but less in some places so be careful.  Caught a limit of trout and one perch.  Fairly slow but steady.  Several people out on Cocolalla when I drove by.

sihlms391

« Reply #1135 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:38 PM »
thanks for info blueduck.  I like the perch out of round but they usually don't bite there this late in the season.  thanks again,

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1136 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:09 PM »
We hit lower Twin Lakes this morning, no luck. Maybe 15 others out there. Good 6+ inches of ice. Lost one at the hole, couldn't see it.

sihlms391

« Reply #1137 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:47 PM »
any one here if spirit lake is going yet?  should be good clear ice if it is. 

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1138 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:21 PM »
went to hauser yesterday all we got was 1 lone bluegill. Went to fernan today nothing

Offline Sheartab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1139 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I'm from Wisconsin, seems there was an Ice Fishing Tournament somewhere nearby every weekend. I have not seen one around here. Am I missing something? They were are a load of fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.