Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540249 times)

sihlms391

Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #720 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Idahonative. No I didn't go to kelso.  It should be good too.  It was completely froze over way back before x mas.  Usually they both have same amount of ice.  I am going to round again in morning.  On my way home I will stop by kelso.  Round was producing a lot of perch but now it is not.   I am determined to catch them.  I did catch a croppie today.   Someone was on coccolala I think he was crazy. 

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #721 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:38 AM »
OK thanks for the info! Hopefully I can head that way soon.

Offline Marinetech

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #722 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Any one heard how hayden is still doing? ???

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #723 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:38 PM »

sihlms391

« Reply #724 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Idahonative.  Kelso has 6 plus inches of ice.  Guys are catching lots of trout.  It is pretty slick.  I didn't fish it because I did ok at round lake.  Hope to see you on the ice some time.   

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #725 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:18 PM »
OK thanks! I fished Kelso almost daily last season and did awesome on bluegill and trout. Haven't been out there yet this season, but soon!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #726 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:02 PM »
How big do the bluegill run on Kelso?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #727 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:31 PM »
So i was thinking of taking a trip farther north to try some fishing. Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of fish are in round lake and kelso lake. Im not a big fan of trout. Was really wondering if there was pike, bass, crappie, i know there are perch from the posts i read. Any help would be very helpful.

sihlms391

« Reply #728 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Round has bass, crappie, brook trout, perch, catfish, and trout.  Perch have not been biting very well.  I caught a lot of brook trout and there is lot of rainbows in there.  I know they are catching rainbows out of kelso and there is bluegills and perch in there.  I haven't fished kelso yet this year.  Hope this helps you out.

Offline Marinetech

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #729 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Appreciate the reply on hayden. Was curious how the ice was. Thanks :tipup:

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #730 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:44 PM »

This was my last day out at Kelso last year.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #731 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:56 PM »
And those were just the ones I kept...  ;)2

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #732 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Fished Blue Lake just north of Priest River for 2 hours this afternoon right before dark.  Pulled in several 8 inch perch and half a dozen crappie as well as a nice largemouth.  All hit on a small white jig with maggots.  Also used my new Marcum vx-1 pro for the first time and I am blown away by how well it worked.  I would not have caught nearly as many without it.  Most fish were right on the bottom but some of the crappie showed up about 3-4 feet off the bottom on the flasher and I was able to quickly adjust the jig to them.  About 8-9 inches of smooth solid ice on the lake.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #733 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:44 AM »
thanks for the info you guys. kind of wish there was so pike in the lakes that is what i like to target the most but still might have to take a drive to try to catch some perch.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #734 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:26 AM »
How's MacArthur been lately?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #735 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:01 AM »
thanks for the info you guys. kind of wish there was so pike in the lakes that is what i like to target the most but still might have to take a drive to try to catch some perch.

There's some dandy pike in Blue.

sihlms391

« Reply #736 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:41 AM »
plfish.  I love my marcum vx-1 pro.  I have had it a year and have caught more fish because of it.  Even when the fish are there  and not biting you can change jigs.  I have never fished priest before.  Might have to try it this year.  Awesome catch.

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #737 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Headed to Perkins tomorrow will report what we find. The ice should be fine. In reference to the marcum, I went to a camera last year and found it phenomenal!! I have come to use it from my boat in open water also. My wife says I am cheating. I say the fish have won way to often, what do you guys think ? 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #738 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:36 PM »
No, Crappieluvr, you're not cheatin'.

I have a camera and a Lowrance X67C Sonar, grow my own worms in vegetable waste in the house(no odor), use scents and fish oil, try to be at ONE with the baits, do a little Ritual dance and mantra mumbo jumbo, consult the fishing charts and check the barometer daily, but, I don't want to give away all my secret weapons.

We need all the help we can get and always will. The fish are actually smarter than us.     :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Ziceman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #739 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Fished Winchester last night. Trout fishing was great although it was not the desired species.  Landed 20 or so in a couple of hours, two of witch were tagged fish, that is a first for me.  Trout ranged from 10-14" Ice was great but slick.  5" of good ice.  May want to bring your ice skates.

Offline idaho4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #740 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Fished Winchester most of the day yesterday.  Fishing was slow on everything but trout.  The ice was really good except for a few soft spots near the bank and around old holes.  I also have caught a few tagged fish through the ice at Winchester this year but none of any value (I dont think F&G puts money tags on planted trout).  If you catch a tagged fish, please relay that info to F&G even if it has no money value.  It helps them evaluate the quality of the fishery and they turn around and relay that info to us on thier web page under the research section.  It only takes a few minutes and it can help improve fishing in Idaho.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #741 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:52 PM »
plfish.  I love my marcum vx-1 pro.  I have had it a year and have caught more fish because of it.  Even when the fish are there  and not biting you can change jigs.  I have never fished priest before.  Might have to try it this year.  Awesome catch.

I don't usually fish Priest as I usually go for the smaller lakes.  One of the reasons I wanted the flasher was to start trying Priest more often. Hopefully the ice will form this year on the big lake enough to get out there and try the flasher and have some fun.

Bearsfan....are you referring to pike in the Blue Lake north of Priest River?  If so how do you set up for them?

Offline fishman101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #742 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:29 PM »
I'm new to the site and to ice fishing all together. Fished Hauser today and last couple days are had a little luck 3-5 bluegills and a bass each of the three days I have been out there. Ice was getting a little spooky today with the warm weather. Guess why there was only about 3 other people out there on the lake today.

Offline crappieluvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #743 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:17 PM »
Perkins lake was really good today!! Ice is at least 8". 4 of us caught around 100 bluegills and bass plus 1 perch all in the last hour of daylight. Most everything was pretty small so we put 'em back for another day. But it sure was fun.

Offline Ziceman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #744 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Fished Winchester most of the day yesterday.  Fishing was slow on everything but trout.  The ice was really good except for a few soft spots near the bank and around old holes.  I also have caught a few tagged fish through the ice at Winchester this year but none of any value (I dont think F&G puts money tags on planted trout).  If you catch a tagged fish, please relay that info to F&G even if it has no money value.  It helps them evaluate the quality of the fishery and they turn around and relay that info to us on thier web page under the research section.  It only takes a few minutes and it can help improve fishing in Idaho.

Thanks,  I did it as soon as I got home.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #745 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Season is over in CDA area if this wind, rain, and heat wave keeps up  :%$#!:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #746 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Monday, driving by on Hwy 95 past Cocolalla I spotted some very brave folks out in mid lake(on top), I puckered a bit but, didn't stop.
 Tuesday, on Round Lake most of the day, sloooow was the bite, which kept me there 'til dark thirty for the limit of my patience, and to take 5 trout.
 And since most rulers don't have "about"written anywhere on them, I try to always measure the ice. It was 6 1/4" of fairly clear crystal with a few bubbles stacked vertically in a few places. The surface was slightly wet late in the day. At 10:30 last night the temp near there was 51.8dF. YIKES.    :woot:

Offline sneekee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #747 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Anybody having any luck with the walleys?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #748 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Bearsfan....are you referring to pike in the Blue Lake north of Priest River?  If so how do you set up for them?
[/quote]

Plfish, yep that's the one. You know I never made it back out there to do it through the ice, but a buddy and I took a canoe out there and got 3 under 30". I think it was probably the last time I was out there on the ice, a few guys wanted all of our small perch, for pike. They said pike fishing is great and there might be a record out there. That would be a great ice pike fishing lake.

Offline perchsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #749 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Recieved a call back from my inquiry to the Railroad (BNSF) today regarding parking along the highway and crossing railroad property. Yes, they will stop and issue warnings and or citations to encourage people to use the public access at Cocolalla  lake. Thought this might be of interest.

Pearchsoup

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.