Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540318 times)

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #390 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I fished Kelso again yesterday evening. From 330 till 530 and didnt have a bite.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #391 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:18 PM »
We grow some nice perch up here too.

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #392 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Any ice reports for Hauser?

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #393 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Hauser i fine now. the rain and warm weather had it pretty thin. but since this cold snap its good. Not sure if i wanna head out, that wind is howling!

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #394 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Hauser i fine now. the rain and warm weather had it pretty thin. but since this cold snap its good. Not sure if i wanna head out, that wind is howling!

Can you be more specific, how many inches of ice and how many inches of slush on top of ice?

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #395 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:32 PM »
This may be some older info but it took awhile to process my profile.  Friday afternoon I headed to Round Lake for a few hours and was surprised by the amount of open water.  I fished within 30 feet of the docks with a good 8-9 inches of ice.  About 30 feet out further there were some larger pockets of open water.  Had 2 bites and pulled in two 12" rainbows off of the bottom.  I was hoping for some perch but I guess that's a pretty good success rate even if it's slow.  Also had a camera and only saw rainbows at the bottom.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #396 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Any reports on Hayden? we're going there tomorrow AM. hopefully there will be good ice

Offline kfedka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #397 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Hauser has about 12 inches of "ice." The upper half is the slush that has been frozen over. Lots of ice cracking sound, probably the ice refreezing and becoming stronger. Fishing very slow, a few Bluegills which I caught after the sun went behind the mountain.

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #398 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Fished Hayden today and only had one flag go up all day but no hookup. Saw guys next to us pull in an 18 pounder which was pretty cool. Ice was 7-8" with lots of cracking and popping when the sun was shining. May try again on friday.

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #399 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:35 AM »
Fished hauser today, bite was on consistently. Brought home about 7. Yeah, the ice is making some noise, scary for a noobie ice fisher like my self. But i was asured it was fine. ice was great. about a foot. fun day overall :tipup:

Offline fishinPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #400 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:32 AM »
What were you catching at Hauser and where?  I've caught channel cats on the north side and bass on the south side in the Spring.  I've also caught kokes in the middle through the ice.  I know they stock it with trout.  Any recommendations on where to start?

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #401 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:35 PM »
was thinking of taking the wife and kid on a fishing trip to hauser. was just wondering if it is easily assessable since the kid is only 3 and i will be pulling him. any suggestions would be appreciated

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #402 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I fish the south east corner. Was catching bluegills, crappie, and the occasional trout. the ice has broke on the shore pretty bad so pulling him on might be hard. But the ice is 12 inches, so no worries there.:)

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #403 on: Feb 03, 2011, 02:07 PM »
hey hauser thanks for the report. have the edges locked back up since the cold snap or are they still iffy

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #404 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Has anyone been over by Springy Point recently?  I was wondering on the ice conditions and if people have been doing any good?

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #405 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:49 PM »
it moved again last night. broke the benches right of the concrete. ice still good today. 12 inches. Caught 14 gills just befor the sun went down :tipup:

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #406 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I have been working all the time yuk.  Have any of you all caught any Tiger Muskie through the ice at Hauser I have been trying for years no muskie. I fish the same place were I catch them in the summer nada it is kinda weird. I should not complain too much my best cats came this way 20lbs but damn I want to ice a Tiger. Any suggestions F@G just planted it 4 years ago they are getting fat I Know it. With my luck it will be 39in and I will have to put it back :tipup:

Offline Hauser lake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #407 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:15 PM »
This is a ice forum but i have a open water wuestion real quick. You say you catch muskies in the summer on hauser. I just moved here to idaho and not sure where and what to use. thanks for any advise

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #408 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Yes I fish the far north end of hauser for Muskie right as soon as the pads start to pop up along the edge. My best luck comes with a 6" to 10" fire tiger Rap steel leader and 15# power pro, you will also catch some nice bass this way.  set the drag high because they pull hard and will wrap your line around everything they can. It is fustrating because you must put them back if they are under 40" none of mine have been keepers. some in the 16# range. The state record is from hauser 38# 48" in 2001.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #409 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:20 PM »
McArthur has safe ice, was out today and caught some dinky perch and once nice 16 inch brookie.  The wind was terrible, I should have brought the shelter, so I left after about 2 hours.  Thin to no ice by the spillway dock, the rest of the lake is good.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #410 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Do you catch Pike out of Mcaurther the south end is called pike lake on my map never fished it except from the dock caught bass. I wanna try through the ice  :tipup:have not made it yet what outher fish does it have?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #411 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:06 PM »
McArthur has safe ice, was out today and caught some dinky perch and once nice 16 inch brookie.  The wind was terrible, I should have brought the shelter, so I left after about 2 hours.  Thin to no ice by the spillway dock, the rest of the lake is good.
Thanks for the report on the McA.
May I make a suggestion? Good. Safe ice is sorta an approximation, so, have you marked the handle of your hole skimmer? Only takes a few min. and then you will be able to shove it down the hole, push it to the side, pull the base of your skimmer up under the ice and read the thickness. Yard stick and  a magic marker is all it takes and one inch marks with a number is all you need, as you can guess those half inches.

This will help us old guys who like to drive out on safe ice with a diesel 4X4 and not have it go through.

Thanks again, Tight lines,
                                  Tom        :thumbsup:

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #412 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:42 AM »
yea i agree sorta one mans safe is another mans sketchy, or scared out of his mind. I like to know the thickness and if it is clear white cracked or if their are pressure ridges or the shore line is thin. it just is not that cold here this year. Let's just be safe I know the feeling of going through the ice and you never forget it.  :tipup: I want to catch some brookies through the ice any sugustions and i dont want to pull out the snowshoes.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #413 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:37 AM »
By safe ice I meant safe to walk on, not drive a rig out on, although there was a 4 wheeler on the ice the other day.  The ice is solid and about 8 to 10 inches.  I  don't know if I would target brookies as it mainly kicks out bass and perch, although I could not find the bigger perch, the brookie was a bonus.  I have fished Mirror Lake for brookies thru the ice.

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #414 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Fishslayer, try cocallala for brookies. Went out a couple of weeks ago and caught 13 out of there. Step off the dock at the main boat launch, turn left and walk 50 feet or so. Lots of old holes where we were fishing. About 5-8 ft of water. I was using a little jigging spoon tipped with a small chunk of crawler. They come through in waves. You'll have 10-20 minutes of nothing, and then catch 4-5 while the school goes through.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #415 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone. Any size to the brook trout out of Cocolalla. I have not fished it yet this year, do you ever catch any Browns out of it? I am going to give it a try. According to fish stoking reports they have about every fish you can think of in Cocolalla a real melting pot of fish. :tipup:

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #416 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:41 AM »
The ones we caught ran between 8 and 13 inches. Never caught any of those browns but I've heard about them.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #417 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Right on those are pretty good i have caught Browns out of the creek never the lake. :tipup:

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #418 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:32 PM »
and one nice 16 inch brookie. 

SWEEEET!!!!

Jim

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #419 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:36 PM »
The ones we caught ran between 8 and 13 inches. Never caught any of those browns but I've heard about them.

Ever hear of bigger ones taken out of there?

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.