Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540304 times)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #210 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Not that Im aware of ........... >:(

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #211 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:55 AM »
This topic is cold enough to make some good ice before Thanksgiving.
Here's hoping.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Looks like we may be having a little cool down.  We might be off to an early start.  Im hoping...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Idahogator, how far north are you?  Ever fish Bush lake thru the ice?   I have fished it in the summer and done well.  Id like to target those big bluegill thru the ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #214 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Good morning BlueDuck,
              I'm sorta NE of Sandpoint about 9 miles as the crow flies and if the crow rides in the back of my truck it's near 18 m. Six miles from Northside school on Rapid Lightning Road, then a meander east on Flume Creek Road.

I've not fished Bush Lake. (yet) I read that it's a deep glacial formation and fairly stable water level. And being down in a little pocket where the cold settles in, makes good early ice.
Nice to have company when prospecting a new lake. Maybe we could arrange to be there together,?

My biggest 'gill was released out by the "condos" in '07. A vividly colored 3" trophy.

Well now, after checking IFAG stocking reports and a few maps, I'm not sure, but could it be Brush Lake?

Here's a great animated view.       http://cdn.optmd.com/V2/41975/140046/index.html?g=AQABVJg=&r=www.fishingworks.com/lakes/idaho/boundary/hall-mountain/brush-lake/

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Yep its Brush lake.  Not sure it that was a lost letter or a brain fart.   Brush is usually pretty good for trout and I have caught Gills up to 9".  Buts that always been in the summer months.  Unless they are logging in that area and plowing the road, it takes a snowmobile to get there in the winter.  Alway wanted to give it a try.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #216 on: Nov 26, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Brush will be snowed in, a few cat hunters kind of keep the road open but with the snow that is coming I think it will be a snowmobile only show.  Perkins, Dawson, and Robinson have some decent gills, I think the ice will be good in a couple of weeks.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #217 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Thanks for the info and welcome to the IceShanty, perchhead1.

A little early yet to check the ice but, these temps have frozen, from the bottom, what I've seen of Rapid Lightning Creek. Pack River in that neighborhood is also iced oven. Lake PDO has edge crust that'll support a goose. The mud flats are solid and very walkable. Let's hope the "January Thaw" is delayed.

Tom

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:58 AM »
hey all people have been on upper twin.... there are about 20 holes in the ice where people have been testin the ice... a home owner said he saw 3 guys working there way out off the upper dock and they went out about 100yds... on sunday there was a fresh set of snow cat tracks that ran off the dock and followed the edge of lake for as far as i could see...i didnt step off the dock but i'm a little on the wimpy side when it comes to early ice

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I was out there on Sunday and drilled a couple of holes near the dock.  At that time there was about 3 inches of ice with another inch of slop on top.  I walked around near shore where it was shallow and it held my weight.  Didn't look good enough to go out on the lake to me.  Those other guys must have showed up later. I was hoping a couple of days and it might be safe.  Now we got 6" of wet snow overnight and its 35 degrees this morning.  Cross your fingers and maybe it will be safe this weekend.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #220 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date fellows.

Monday there was ice way out into LPO by the Condos. No tracks and no one out there, yet.

Talked to Mary the ranger at Round Lake S.P. and no one has been off the docks yet, but getting a few fish and no too crowded.

Ice at Sunnyside is only about 30' out. That would be, maybe 5" of water but, hip waders to stay dry on "goose ice"

Cocolalla has only "islands of nasty thin skim".

Please keep us up to date and I'll do the same.
                                                      Tom

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:17 PM »
4 inches of good ice on Upper Twin.  Saw several guys out there today.  They were catching small perch and I saw one small pike thrown back.  Ill be giving it a shot tomorrow.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Blueduck,  Good luck and I might see you out there.  Cant wait to here the reports from this weekend!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #223 on: Dec 05, 2010, 03:27 PM »
2 above this morn. We're making ice.

Good read at CDApress online,(cursor over NEWS and drop down to OUTDOORS). Shaping up to be an Excellent ice season as the colder (predicted) winter will freeze the larger waters.  Let's hope that January thaw plague doesn't show up.

Looking forward to the weekend results, after a night of cleaning fish, of course.

Tom

Offline elkfiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to this site and to ice fishing in general. Just wanted to report that Hauser has a few, but small, patches of open water near the center. The ice is about 1 inch thick around the banks as of 10 am this morning.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #225 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:30 PM »

elkfiend, Welcome to IceShanty !

Do 4 more post and new features will be enabled for you to use.    :o

Tom

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Upper Twin was slow today (Sunday).  Close to 6 inches of ice out about 300 feet from the dock. Seemed to be less ice out farther then that.  I ended up with 9 perch and 2 pretty nice crappie.  Might check out Round Lake tomorrow.

Offline elkfiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Fished Granite Lake today. 4 or so inches of ice around the banks, I didn't go too far out. I caught three largemouth and one trout, all pretty small. Most hits came on a firetiger colored jig with a Berkely power grub on it. Got a few hits on a worm and corn/marshmallow/powerbait (not all at once, tried different things). Slow going, I started around 10 am and packed up around 4 pm. All hits were within 30 or 40 feet of the bank.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Fished round lake Monday.  5-6 inches of ice.  Pretty slow but did squeeze out a limit of trout and one perch in 5 hours.  At least we are ice fishing now...   I hope this warming spell don't end it.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #229 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the news BlueDuck.
There's been a lot of north wind lately that has blown the ice away from many areas on the north side of LPO. The condos have a little more protection so, will have a look at that today and update later.

Offline born2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I am new to this started ice fishing last year and had a blast with it. Hope to do a lot more this year. Somebody told me this is a good place for information. Live in Moscow so I fish a lot at Spring Valley, Blue Loons, Moose Creek.

Fished Spring Valley Reservoir on Sunday. Ice is about 4-5 inches think at least fifty feet out and about 2 inch thick in deeper water. Never crack on us pretty sold actually. Caught about 12 trout in 3 hours all around 12inch or so. Not my favorite spot to ice fish, but catching fish is better than not. Probably heading to Winchester this weekend.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I headed out on to Upper Twin Sunday to check it out.  Ice seemed pretty good.  there were about 6 or so people on the ice and 2 guys sitting in a truck watching tip ups.  I talked to the guys sitting in the truck and they said the ice was 6" but out at their furthest tipup it was only 2 1/2"  Be careful!  I also talked to a couple of guys that just came off and they said it was slow but had a couple of fish.  they also said the ice was thin once you made it out a ways from shore.  Lower Twin looked like it had open water down around the middle of the lake.
Cocolalla still had open water in the middle this morning but if the wind quits it will freeze fast. 

Good luck and stay on the dry side of the ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #232 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I am new to this started ice fishing last year and had a blast with it. Hope to do a lot more this year. Somebody told me this is a good place for information. Live in Moscow so I fish a lot at Spring Valley, Blue Loons, Moose Creek.

Fished Spring Valley Reservoir on Sunday. Ice is about 4-5 inches think at least fifty feet out and about 2 inch thick in deeper water. Never crack on us pretty sold actually. Caught about 12 trout in 3 hours all around 12inch or so. Not my favorite spot to ice fish, but catching fish is better than not. Probably heading to Winchester this weekend.

Welcome to IceShanty, born2fish.
Somebody told you right - this is THE place for hard-water info.
 ? You have some special reg. there for a dozen trout?
Oh, I get it, they were brookies and you kept one less than half a limit, cool.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #233 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Plenty of ice at the Condos - did a visual from 3rd St. No holes and no tracks. So spud your way out and proof it.

Fishable ice at Springy Point but, it's a hike thru the snow, nice place for traveling very lite.

Sunnyside has fishable ice that didn.t get blown out.

Be safe, even tho it's shallow, first one out - use a spud.

Tom

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #234 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:31 PM »

Good job!!!  Will be on Winchester ALL DAY on Friday!!!

Jim

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:28 AM »
With warmer weather and rain headed our way and temps above freezing at night be careful of the bad ice that these conditions will create. When there is only 4 or 5 inches of ice or less on the North lakes it can go bad in a hurry. I carry two phillips screwdrivers on a cord around my neck to help pull myself out. I do not go alone with these conditions and carry a least a rope, a small light extension ladder is also good to have in the truck. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #236 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:32 AM »
All good reasoning.
Welcome to IceShanty, perchhead1

Offline idaho-grizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:41 PM »
New to ice fishing, last year was a first for me. Anyway got to have knee replacement on the 16Th of December hoping to be back on the ice sometime in Jan. I have a daughter who has a place on Hayden lake and was thinking about flying up and trying to catch a pike. Anyone fishing Hayden for pike. Would also like to try some other places and species while I am in northern Idaho. Do you catch any landlocked salmon in any of the lakes up there. Thanks

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Spirit Lake has landlocked salmon.  There are pike in Hayden, and crappie perch bluegill trout etc, elsewhere.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Lower twin has blueback as well as Mirror lake. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.