New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Smelt fishing on Canadice Lake  (Read 9942 times)

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt fishing on Canadice Lake
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:10 PM »
 Anyone else out there like jigging for smelt ? I went to canadice lake last week and got 75-100 in a few hours. was fishing at the boat launch in about 10 FOW. Lost my ice with the warm spell. Any one want to try it we could get togather.      Gary

Offline ICEano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • work to live, live to fish
Re: Smelt fishing on Canadice Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:07 AM »
i have friend whose done it a few times but i usually wait and scoop them out of the creek in the spring :tipup:

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:11 AM »
    I also like dipping Smelt , but it seams like hit and miss. i just cant hit them like I used to!
where do you go?
                          Gary

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:28 PM »
smelt fishing has never been better at the south end 20 to 30 fow caught 125 in 3 hours or so last sat night.
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:55 PM »
where is candice lake?

Offline perchman47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:00 PM »
im in college at brockport and its a decent drive down there . But ive ever caught a smelt and would love to stink up my common room with a whole bunch of them. where is the boat launch?

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:33 AM »
 Canadice lake is South of Rochester. been good this year. Boat is in the center of lake,on the east side.
not too many fish that eat better than deep fryed smelt!! Will be there this weekend!

Gary

Offline foot-in-hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:10 AM »
I just got back from canadice - good till 11pm, then I started killing em. came home with about 150 smelt. 2-6 feet under the ice. Good fun - perfect night. LOUD coyotes!

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:21 AM »
     I came by there at about 12.30 last night. Seen one vehicle, almost stopped. But I had sneakers on!!!!
I have a under water light that I drop in the hole. try to get them up to the ice. works pretty well.
     we sure do not need the coyotes that we have ,But I like to Liston to them!! Wasn't that long ago that there was none. now there everywhere!!!
                                                              Gary

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:31 AM »
What do you use for bait to catch smelt?

Offline bruce40ny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:39 AM »
i am up to try for smelt. what time is best got a friend but like to have more fishing buds. let me know i am up to try it. bruce

Offline dholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Anyone else out there like jigging for smelt ? I went to canadice lake last week and got 75-100 in a few hours. was fishing at the boat launch in about 10 FOW. Lost my ice with the warm spell. Any one want to try it we could get togather.      Gary
would like to try it, i live in springwater used to get them in the spring give me a shout and we will go

Offline dholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:01 AM »
I just got back from canadice - good till 11pm, then I started killing em. came home with about 150 smelt. 2-6 feet under the ice. Good fun - perfect night. LOUD coyotes!
[/quote
where were you getting them at?

Offline crash430

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:12 AM »
just waiting for some good ice before i go after the smelt ,have been hooked since my cousing took me after them ,i have caught them everywhere on the lake ,little ice jig topped with waxie,or sometimes they take just the jig plain

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Thanks for the info crash430

Offline crash430

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for the info crash430
no problem have to get together sometime and hit the smelt

Offline foot-in-hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:08 PM »
     I came by there at about 12.30 last night. Seen one vehicle, almost stopped. But I had sneakers on!!!!
I have a under water light that I drop in the hole. try to get them up to the ice. works pretty well.
     we sure do not need the coyotes that we have ,But I like to Liston to them!! Wasn't that long ago that there was none. now there everywhere!!!
                                                              Gary

That was me - the last guy there
Greg

Offline JPM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Hey Gary,   I think me and some buddies are fishing Honeoye on Sat. maybe we could shoot over to Candice and try for some smelts.  Will you be out there
that afternoon?   We may just fish H. Lake for a while as I've heaard the lake is pretty crazy with sleds and quads.   Can you only get them at night?
I assume you need a floating light- is this correct?

look forward to your response.

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:43 AM »

I will be there sat.  night! I try to get there before dark so I can set up in the light.
I have a under water light that I use, But sometimes A lantern setting on the Ice works better!
i use small jig tipped with a spike. I try to work them up to the Ice, So that I am Fishing in only
a foot of water or so. the faster you get them out the faster you can catch another one!
   any one that want to join me WELCOME!!! The more the merrier. i fish at the boat launch.

Dave, Is that you? I went Fishing with you before! Lost my wallet!!!! I live on canadice rd. Now
                                                                                         Gary

Offline dholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Gary,
Yea its me. Mitchelle and I fished last night and got 100 or so. I plan on going Sat night after I get out of work. A couple of guys were fishing out past us and did well also. Make sure you have all paperwork we have been checked a few times now by the DEC. Keep in touch.  :icefish:

Offline crash430

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Gary,
Yea its me. Mitchelle and I fished last night and got 100 or so. I plan on going Sat night after I get out of work. A couple of guys were fishing out past us and did well also. Make sure you have all paperwork we have been checked a few times now by the DEC. Keep in touch.  :icefish:
thats weird i have never been checked by dec down there ice fishing usually in spring,summer and fall i will get checked atleast once

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:28 AM »
My buddy and I have been wanting to get down there to jig up some smel hopefully we can get down there within the next week or so and hook up with a bunch of shanty guys and jig some up.
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline crash430

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Hey Gary,   I think me and some buddies are fishing Honeoye on Sat. maybe we could shoot over to Candice and try for some smelts.  Will you be out there
that afternoon?   We may just fish H. Lake for a while as I've heaard the lake is pretty crazy with sleds and quads.   Can you only get them at night?
I assume you need a floating light- is this correct?

look forward to your response.
no floating light needed you can actually just set up a lantern next to hole

Offline JPM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:02 PM »

I will be there sat.  night! I try to get there before dark so I can set up in the light.
I have a under water light that I use, But sometimes A lantern setting on the Ice works better!
i use small jig tipped with a spike. I try to work them up to the Ice, So that I am Fishing in only
a foot of water or so. the faster you get them out the faster you can catch another one!
   any one that want to join me WELCOME!!! The more the merrier. i fish at the boat launch.

Dave, Is that you? I went Fishing with you before! Lost my wallet!!!! I live on canadice rd. Now
                                                                                         Gary
Hey Gary,

We are interested in getting out on Sat.   We would probably get there mid afternoon and set up for some perch first.   Can you let me know
1. where you will be putting in?   2. What setup we need?  hooks size- I would assume really small, and bait.  We have lanterns.   Also, how big are these smelts - decent size?   When we get closer to making the decision, I'll let you know and give you my cell no.   

Thanks for the info.
Jim.

Offline jakehaungser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Gary,

Is there some special paper work that is required to fish Canadice?  Is it like the permit that is required for Hemlock.    Has anyone heard report about ice fishing on Hemlock?

I have been out on Honeyoye 4 times - skunked each time - Smelting may be the way go.

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:05 AM »
    I fish the boat launch. you need jigging pole, small jigs,lantern ,spikes the smelt are about the size of your longest finger.I get there just before dark. they are in the top five fish to eat in my book!
                                                                                                             Gary

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Gary hows the ice out of the launch,how thick is it.I want to take my daughter down their to get some smelt.

Offline dholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Gary,
Are you fishing Sat night? At the launch or where the canoes are? Just spoke with a guy who hit the smelt last night off the sand bar at Hemlock. Let me no where your gonna be.  :tipup:

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Always fascinated by the number of guys that are actually interested in catching and eating bait! :roflmao:

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:06 AM »
     Same permit as hemlock. You can down load it or pick one up at the north end of hemlock. It is the blue and white kiosk near the circle driveway
                                                                   Gary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.