New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220879 times)

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #1080 on: Feb 20, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I stand corrected    However , look at some others such as Canadarago…. A solid fishery

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:34 PM »
The lake could afford to go c and r only for a few years.
I don't think that is the answer. I do think that in most years a lot of fish were being taken during the winter months, but if you think about the last 3 or 4 years and the milder winters the fishing would have improved with less people being able to get on the ice. The lake as also remained pretty high during the winter months so that may also help. My summer numbers were down last year but I did catch some better fish up into July but after that a lot of smaller fish. I keep very few as I don't eat fish and the wife can't anymore. I may have kept 5 all summer for my daughter. Over the years there have been a lot of up and down cycles. Most I believe are all based on spawning conditions in the spring that result in missing year classes. Just my .02....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Thats the first time Ive heard Drago being considered solid.  Theres a few decent walleye if u can get past the dink perch. But your not gonna pull out any double digit numbers of walleye with consistency.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1083 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Ive heard a lot of dumb crap over the years. Believing it takes someone special.  ::)

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1084 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Come on Paul23, you have been out there when they are hitting like that. Any way that is what I HEARD...lol...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1085 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:19 AM »
I don't think that is the answer. I do think that in most years a lot of fish were being taken during the winter months, but if you think about the last 3 or 4 years and the milder winters the fishing would have improved with less people being able to get on the ice. The lake as also remained pretty high during the winter months so that may also help. My summer numbers were down last year but I did catch some better fish up into July but after that a lot of smaller fish. I keep very few as I don't eat fish and the wife can't anymore. I may have kept 5 all summer for my daughter. Over the years there have been a lot of up and down cycles. Most I believe are all based on spawning conditions in the spring that result in missing year classes. Just my .02....h2l

I agree with what you are saying. For pike, the conditions have been absolutely great. There were at least a dozen caught over 40, last year alone. Walleye are a totally different problem. As soon as they get to 15-16”, they get pounded.  Same thing will happen once they are 18”.   I feel like a c&r only stamp would deter people from going to the sac to fish for dinner.  Let’s face it, now a days if you can afford internet and afford to go fishing, you can afford to go to Aldis to get dinner. C&R only and establish a new forage base.  Aside from all that, the lake is massive and needs more fish. I totally understand taking a fish here and there.  But the sac is not the place for guys to limit out morning and night.  It just simply cant handle that pressure and produce quality fish.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1086 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Can anyone share any updates on the amount of snow on the ice?  Is it manageable on foot?
westernmas on the finder

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1087 on: Feb 23, 2020, 06:40 AM »
It was very rare for the lake to be so high most of the Winter. They started taking in down early in Jan. and it was dropping about 3 inches a day. It is now going down almost 6 inches a day. The lake is getting smaller and lots of stone walls, rock piles, humps, etc. are starting to show up along the shore lines. Be careful riding sleds out there....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1088 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:42 AM »
It was very rare for the lake to be so high most of the Winter. They started taking in down early in Jan. and it was dropping about 3 inches a day. It is now going down almost 6 inches a day. The lake is getting smaller and lots of stone walls, rock piles, humps, etc. are starting to show up along the shore lines. Be careful riding sleds out there....h2l

Yeah I spoke to a gentleman that had to move his hardside bc it was only in a few fow with the drawdown. Was a slow day but my buddy broke his pb with a nice 14lber.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1089 on: Feb 23, 2020, 11:00 AM »
I am sure he did, it has dropped 8 feet since Jan. 1st...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1090 on: Feb 23, 2020, 10:00 PM »
I am sure he did, it has dropped 8 feet since Jan. 1st...h2l

I was really surprised to see how much it has gone down. Someone else was enjoying our normal spot today, so we went on an adventure. Fished 9-12, probably 3” or so of snow off the beaten path. My daughter fought this healthy pike for a bit until it saw the daylight and pulled the line out of her hands. Lol. Great day, great memories.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1091 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:21 AM »
That a nice pike. Bet she had fun while she fought it....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1092 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Nice pike!! How's the ice holding up with these temps?? Inches? Thanks jeff

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1093 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Nice pike!! How's the ice holding up with these temps?? Inches? Thanks jeff

There was a little over a foot where I was.  Machines all over the place.  Will be less by the weekend but the night time temps still stay below freezing.  Could be a nice little zamboni effect by Sunday.
westernmas on the finder

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1094 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Thank you . Just concerned about the food n fuel contest on the 6th.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1095 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Thank you . Just concerned about the food n fuel contest on the 6th.

Wasnt that canceled?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1096 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:59 PM »

I was really surprised to see how much it has gone down. Someone else was enjoying our normal spot today, so we went on an adventure. Fished 9-12, probably 3” or so of snow off the beaten path. My daughter fought this healthy pike for a bit until it saw the daylight and pulled the line out of her hands. Lol. Great day, great memories.

Beautiful pike.

Your making me want to go back and give it another shot.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1097 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Wasnt that canceled?

Different tournament. The March 6th tournament is the weekend long tournament. The Walleye challenge scheduled for this pst weekend was canceled.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1098 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Different tournament. The March 6th tournament is the weekend long tournament. The Walleye challenge scheduled for this pst weekend was canceled.

Ahhh got ya. The food and fuel tourney is the multi species one, correct? Where those jumbo pike come in every year...

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1099 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Yea 3 day contest.  Heard its a go.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1100 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:27 PM »
I was up there this weekend. 4 inches of snow on ice & had 10 to 13 inches of ice. I went with a couple of guys & we got 3 nice perch & 7 walleyes. it was 2 degrees Saturday morning. Quads & snow mobiles all over the lake. Walt

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1101 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Thanks all. Great day with the kids. Very rarely does awesome weather and a flag go hand in hand. Especially pike fishing.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1102 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:21 AM »
Pike Paralyzer, do you fish GSL during soft water?...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1103 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Ahhh got ya. The food and fuel tourney is the multi species one, correct? Where those jumbo pike come in every year...

Yup, that’s the one....

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1104 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Beautiful pike.

Your making me want to go back and give it another shot.

I’ve only been there twice n it’s produced some nice fish. My buddy pulled this one up on Saturday and we had a couple of break offs on light line.  Right around 14lbs

westernmas on the finder

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1105 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Nice pike, thanks for sharing...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1106 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Pike Paralyzer, do you fish GSL during soft water?...h2l

Not as much as I’d like to. From the pontoon we may drag crawlers or toss tubes for a little bit, but mainly just relax and enjoy the lake.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #1107 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Where i was on saturday there was about a foot and a half of snow/slop ontop, made very hard going with the 4 wheeler, only fished for a few hours ended up with about 300$ worth of broken gear. Never fished it before. Thats my first time i hope its not like that the next time i venture out on it.
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1108 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Sorry you had a bad first trip out on GSL. Don't think the conditions have improved the last few day....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1109 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Odd, went out sunday by lanzis and was easy walk n drag.  Walk in i coulda used creepers, had maybe a inch of snow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.