New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220873 times)

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #990 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Not much difference. Anything that softens up is gonna harden back up by dark.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #991 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Not much difference. Anything that softens up is gonna harden back up by dark.

Come one come all! Don't mind all those pics of shantys and 4 wheelers going swimming. A local from the north end of the lake said its safe!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #992 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:57 AM »
When do 2,000 drunks ever use common sense. See one hr above freezing.

Are the derby's this coming weekend or the 15th?
westernmas on the finder

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #993 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:01 AM »
15th...theres a derby on Caroga Lake this weekend

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #994 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Back to common sense, metal and black tires are gonna absorb heat on sunny days.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #995 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:25 AM »
Back to common sense, metal and black tires are gonna absorb heat on sunny days.
so do them permy shacks setting there day after day sun beating off them

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #996 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Hey Cowboys1 when is the caroga ice fishing tournament? Saturday and Sunday and where can i find info. Thanks

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #997 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Hey Cowboys1 when is the caroga ice fishing tournament? Saturday and Sunday and where can i find info. Thanks

Its listed at top of page under tournaments....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #998 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Where? im not seeing a tournaments tab? Any idea where exactly or what date the tournament is?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #999 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Where? im not seeing a tournaments tab? Any idea where exactly or what date the tournament is?

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372735.0 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 05, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Great time! $20 for a chance to win a ion. Even if you cant fish the derby buy a ticket!

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 06, 2020, 05:46 PM »
Walleye challenge is going to be questionable, they want 12" at sinclair point from what I heard and with this snow on the ice the ice making is going to come to a halt. If it was a local tournament it would be a 100% go but being as big as it is and so many out of staters who may not be as familiar with the lake as us locals they need to be careful, the last thing they want is somebody getting hurt or going through the ice.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:16 PM »
How much snow is on the ice? Looks like rain tonight. Hopefully it all turns to slush.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Temps in the 40s today!  You think all 2000 + ppl drinking all day will all use common sense? Hope they do have the challenge. Great for our local economy. Personaly I don't like the challenge. Why limit the amount of entries on a lake that big?

Wait a sec, everyone in the challenge drinks and 36 degree air is an ice killer?  You sure you aren't drunk yourself?

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:24 PM »
As of right now the only snow on the ice is what has fallen today,3-4 inches of heavy wet stuff. These next couple cold nights are gonna help a lot. I talked to Louie personally today and they are going to make the call Monday whether the contest is on or not

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Goose97, you been spending all your time on the ice. Haven't seen you on here in awhile. The lake is going down pretty fast now. They are saying we could get some more snow on Friday but then a couple colder nights. I hear the ice is pretty good IF you know where you are going. It's all those first timers that will be out there next weekend that may get into trouble. Maybe you can take them all with you...lol. Hope you are catching a few....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:20 PM »
They canceled our ice quad races again for the 3rd time in a row... I can’t imagine a 1000+ people tournament will be carried on as well.

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:30 AM »
I hope it does get cancelled.  I'm a local and by the time I hear the tickets are available it's already sold out. The event gets sold out within a few days!! More than half the people aren't even fishing in the tournament and are just in it for the raffle prizes.

Besides after the tournament you might as well not fish the lake for awhile as it becomes a true dead sea!

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1008 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:16 AM »
Been spending a lot of time out there hunts2long, finally got the shanty out where I’ve wanted it. Been catching over my limit on walleyes for the past couple weekends. My fishing buddies are having pretty good luck out there too. Some jumbo perch mixed in. We release almost everything but the perch. I hope they have contest,you put it well though,if you’re a local this lake is fine to fish right now, if you don’t know the hazards it can get tricky.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:55 AM »
I dont fish the challenge... but im pretty much local. Hadley area, anyone got any pointers.. pms are prefered. Never fished the lake just looking for some insite
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:58 AM »
Goose, sounds like you are having a good year. The lake does have some nice perch, good that you are releasing some of the walleyes.
SS, the businesses on the lake are having another tough year without good ice and riding conditions.
Iceman, I always thought they could just sell a ticket for the prizes if a person wasn't going to fish. It would also produce more prize money for those that do fish....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Its pouring rain out now. Then switch to snow. Up to a foot of snow! Even being a local and growing up on the GSL I won't step a foot on the ice after today! Won't be making ice with a foot of snow on top.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:01 AM »
With the 4/5 inches we got yesterday and now the rain, then more new snow, you know the lake will be a mess with all the slush. Don't think it will be cold enough to harden up the slush....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Snows blowing around down here in the valley. Saw a pic earlier of the lake and there was a inch or so of slush, w zero snow.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:03 PM »
4/5 inches of wet, heavy snow so far today. No wind yet and the temp is about 32*..h2l
Northville, NY

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 08, 2020, 10:54 AM »
We’ve been pulling fish thru the ice on Sac for over a month now. A lil rain n snow isnt gonna end most ppls ice season.  Lol.   As far as the contest, its the same time frame every year. I received the flyer in the mail and waited 2 more days before driving to fuelnfood to enter.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:44 PM »
Its pouring rain out now. Then switch to snow. Up to a foot of snow! Even being a local and growing up on the GSL I won't step a foot on the ice after today! Won't be making ice with a foot of snow on top.

Sounds like scare tactics from locals. I was there today w almost a foot of ice. Machines all over the place. Minimal snow, on top of a crust layer that held you on foot but could be an issue on a wheeler. Ended up w two pike, a couple break offs n some micro perch. Hope it wasn’t beginners luck, as it was my first time there.

westernmas on the finder

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 09, 2020, 05:50 AM »
Glad your first trip turned out pretty good. I was wrong about "it may not get cold enough" to harden up the slush. Friday afternoon it went from 31 to 18 degrees in about two hours and overnight down to about zero.  The stuff in my drive way turned to hard packed snow. What a pain. Glad I moved most before it froze.

I don't think anyone is trying to scare you away, it is a big lake and conditions on one end may be OK and the other end of the lake could be very iffy at best. This year "iffy" is the norm. Just be careful and use your head. Hope you get back, just don't keep ALL the fish you catch....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:14 AM »
They were all released to fight another day. I’d only be interested in keeping a walleye. I’ll def be back. A machine sure would help bc I didn’t make it half way to my intended location.
westernmas on the finder

Offline campnvlle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1019 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:07 AM »
fished yeaterday all day off sport island pub...13+ of ice..sleds and a few wheelers out and about.  The problem with the walleye challege call is your damed if you do and your damed if you dont....such a strange year weather wise...being a loal i of course.hope they have it..I agree.with an earlier post..use common.sense and tread lightly and youll be fine..that should be done regardless any time your on a lake with ice..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.