New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221059 times)

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #960 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I think you mean walleyes and pike food....lol...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #961 on: Jan 25, 2020, 04:19 PM »
It was by #5 buoy in the center.... Thankfully years ago. Today wife and I fished off North Hampton Beach State Park about 300 yards off shore. 4 flags 3 fish, 1 keeper. no other flags were seen. Ice 8+" and snowmobiles all over. Good Luck out there...……
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fordman

« Reply #962 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:10 PM »
It was by #5 buoy in the center.... Thankfully years ago. Today wife and I fished off North Hampton Beach State Park about 300 yards off shore. 4 flags 3 fish, 1 keeper. no other flags were seen. Ice 8+" and snowmobiles all over. Good Luck out there...……
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
must be some  water on top with this rain?

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #963 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Kim, the way I read it, I thought that in was this year. Still something you will never forget. My cousin and I went for a swim one Thanksgiving Day about 100yds off the beach at the campsite. We were about 10 years old and I think it was either 1952 or 1953. I know I still remember the walk home was a cold one. I grew up just outside the campsite. Glad you got some action today....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #964 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Hi all,
I’m headed up to the area next weekend. Probably George Saturday but thinking I may try GSL for the first time Sunday. Since I’ve never been there, hoping you can steer me clear of any trouble. My thought was park at Lakeside tavern and access a few spots about a half mile to mile from there.
Questions:
1. anyone know if the business is cool with guys parking there Sun mornings? I’m sure I’d have brunch there when done.
2. Anyone know of the typical or actual ice conditions in that part of the lake? Any known bubblers, areas of current, pressure ridges, etc?
3. Better to target walleye or pike on the south end?

Thanks in advance.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #965 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:05 AM »
We tried to get permission this year seeing as there’s snowmobiling tracks coming in and out but I guess they are trying to limit the parking lot for recreational use as it’s not overly big. We’ve always done better mayfield and north,especially for walleyes. But there is Wally’s that has parking if you’re determined to fish south.

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #966 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Thanks Pikeman. I looked at Wallys as well but that adds to the hike (no machine for me). Maybe I’ll try the north side. Appreciate the insights

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #967 on: Jan 28, 2020, 03:35 PM »
We tried to get permission this year seeing as there’s snowmobiling tracks coming in and out but I guess they are trying to limit the parking lot for recreational use as it’s not overly big. We’ve always done better mayfield and north,especially for walleyes. But there is Wally’s that has parking if you’re determined to fish south.
I parked at lakeside a few weeks ago with no issues. Is this something new?

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #968 on: Jan 28, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Not sure. I know someone that has a camp nearby and has no problems walking from there onto the ice. But from the sounds of it,I think it’s just the matter of actually parking there. This was also over the phone,not asking in person.

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #969 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:13 PM »
I’m good with going to the north side. I’ve found some contours walking out from Northampton beach I’d like to explore.  Any tips for a first time GSLer? I’d like to target walleye/perch, but pike can be fun too. Any ideas of the ice thickness near there?

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #970 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Went out of Northampton last Friday, 7-11" ice, very slow, we got two small walleye and a yellow perch on tip ups.

Offline Ghostcheff44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #971 on: Jan 30, 2020, 04:15 PM »
 Anyword on the walleye challenge. Saw in the news a shanty went threw near lanzis

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #972 on: Feb 01, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Herd through the grapevine someone went in this morning on the Broadalbin side. If true hope everyone is ok

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #973 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:59 PM »
One person air lifted to Albany Med after sled accident near Sport Island. If I hear anything more will post it....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #974 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:36 PM »
My son and I fished off Northampton Beach today. No luck. Saw a couple of other guys chase flags. Ice is 11-12 inches at every hole we drilled.

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #975 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:56 AM »
First time at GSL

Spent 4am-noon off Southampton with 12 tip ups and 2 jigging. No sign of life

Spent 3pm-7pm on the South side. No sign of life.

Not terribly inclined to make a return trip.

In any case, 11-12 inches off Northampton. The channel near Lakesider was only 4-5 and some water on the east side. so take caution there. Once out on the south side of the lake got back to 8+

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #976 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:51 AM »
There is a reason they call it the dead sea. 

Seems to be that kind of year, we haven't had great luck either fishing from the south end of the lake and we are fishing every weekend.

Offline walleye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #977 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Im looking to come up on Feb 15 to fish for pike but i have never been to the lake. Is there parking access around lake? Just want to make sure before making the trip north

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #978 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Im looking to come up on Feb 15 to fish for pike but i have never been to the lake. Is there parking access around lake? Just want to make sure before making the trip north

Take a look back a few pages.  Plenty of info on access.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #979 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:13 AM »

The Federation Tournament is that Weekend, it will be pretty packed I would think just about everywhere.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #980 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Walleye03, just to let you know. Feb.15 is the day of the Walleye Challenge, plus GSLFF contest. There will be about 2000 people fishing the lake that day. The WC is sold out but the GSLFF is open for pike, perch and trout. Parking will be a ZOO but what is one more....Good Luck///h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #981 on: Feb 04, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Walleye03, just to let you know. Feb.15 is the day of the Walleye Challenge, plus GSLFF contest. There will be about 2000 people fishing the lake that day. The WC is sold out but the GSLFF is open for pike, perch and trout. Parking will be a ZOO but what is one more....Good Luck///h2l
They won't have either derby. Everyday i see pics or hear about ppl/shantys/ vehicles going in. Just yesterday I seen a pic of a side by side that broke through. I'm not saying that there isn't safe ice. It's currently 39 out. Unless you get sub zero temps next week there's no way they can put that many ppl on the lake.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #982 on: Feb 04, 2020, 06:57 PM »
It’s been too mild of winter for the sac. If you’re not smokin belts, blowing through feet of snow and slush, or hoofing through it on foot, all with the chance of dropping through a soft spot, then you won’t recognize the true beauty of a nice GSL fish.  ::)
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

fordman

« Reply #983 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:56 PM »
They won't have either derby. Everyday i see pics or hear about ppl/shantys/ vehicles going in. Just yesterday I seen a pic of a side by side that broke through. I'm not saying that there isn't safe ice. It's currently 39 out. Unless you get sub zero temps next week there's no way they can put that many ppl on the lake.
the other day there was 13.5 at north Hampton campsite good ice

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #984 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:30 PM »
the other day there was 13.5 at north Hampton campsite good ice
Like I said there is safe ice but ppl come for out of state for the walleye Challenge. Ppl who don't know the lake like us locals. A disaster waiting to happen.

fordman

« Reply #985 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:37 PM »
Gotta be smart always the east the least with the ice on big sections the west winds hit the east the hardest. Spud spud walk talk leave machines
Home unless you no for sure
West the best for the thicker ice

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #986 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:16 AM »
Use a bit of common sense and its a very safe lake. I see no reason not to have the contest.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #987 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:47 AM »
Use a bit of common sense and its a very safe lake. I see no reason not to have the contest.
Temps in the 40s today!  You think all 2000 + ppl drinking all day will all use common sense? Hope they do have the challenge. Great for our local economy. Personaly I don't like the challenge. Why limit the amount of entries on a lake that big?

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #988 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:57 AM »
When do 2,000 drunks ever use common sense. See one hr above freezing.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #989 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:20 AM »
That's in northville.  I'm in Mayfield right now and the temp is 36.  I'm sure all the ppl traveling for the challenge are going to go to the northern most point of the gsl

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.