New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221211 times)

Offline Icehole_NJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #930 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Guys,

Thanks for the advice...I will def bring a spud bar and rope.  I'll check back tomorrow night to see if conditions get any better.  Don't know if you guys got snow last night, but it looks like some colder weather is coming soon.  Hoping it thickens the ice like a lot of people I'm sure!!! 

Thanks again for the info!!!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #931 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Someone posted this shanty going down on the lake. 

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #932 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Yep, air boat just went past my house on return trip from checking on it. Ice around the edges look like the spring "needles" that we see in April.  A week of melting surface water infiltrating down through has weakened things a bit. Literally watch your step.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #933 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Talked to DEC as they were topping off the air boat. He said the ice is not in very good shape. Good ice in one spot, poor ice in other spots. They are saying 1 to 2 inches of snow tonight so those poor spots will be hard to see. Give it a couple days and it should get better. Be Safe...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #934 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:28 AM »
2” to 3” of heavy snow fell over night at 32 degrees, still snowing lightly. Headed to mid 30s today. We did not need this insulating cover. With any luck it will turn to slush before the cold snap so it can all freeze up. You will be walking blind today, be careful!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #935 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:05 PM »
The ice has broken up down to Sport Island, out in the middle...Be careful...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #936 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:41 PM »
I guess the motorcycle racing that was supposed to happen this weekend by sport island must be cancelled then?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #937 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:22 PM »
I guess the motorcycle racing that was supposed to happen this weekend by sport island must be cancelled then?

Yes it’s currently rescheduled for the 25th.

Offline blorenzon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #938 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Good morning everyone,
I'll be in Broadalbin over the weekend and I was planning to fish in the channel in front of Lakeside Tavern + the bay above it.
Any info on ice conditions in that area? I understand there ice had cracked around Scout Island 10 days or so ago.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. this is my first post, but I've been following this thread for a while. Thanks everyone for the great info

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #939 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:46 AM »
15/20 trucks parked in the parking lot at the campsite this morning. Most are set up out from the beach area. Be safe....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #940 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:43 PM »
How's the ice inches wise?

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #941 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:47 AM »
There is ice but some areas are better than others. MUCH better. There are sections of the lake that were open water last weekend. If I were coming from out of the area I would try to fish where I see others fishing, or at least getting onto the lake. They have been fishing off of Northampton campsite quite a bit and there is good parking and access to the lake...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #942 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:44 PM »
I was fishing the north end Saturday-Sunday.  It was fishable, but not great.  3-5” in various spots and slushy. I was pretty close to shore.  I’m sure its gained over the last few days.

My brother is on the south end, and was drilling 7-8 this weekend.  That was close to shore as well.  Bays have been decent for a while, can’t say what the middle looks like. 

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #943 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Anyone have a report of ice conditions out from Wally's and how much snow remains on the lake?  Hopefully dropping the shanty this weekend.

Offline adkice22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #944 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:31 AM »
Regarding Northampton -- what species do people fish for in that area of the lake? I am new to ice fishing and have not fished Sacandaga yet.  I ask because I would like to set up my tip ups with the right leaders and hook sizes and get the right bait for the type of fish near there.  Sacandaga is only about an hour from home so it's close.  Also is it a good spot spots for numbers?  I am looking to get more chances to learn -- how to set the hook, hand line, read my fish finder, etc.  Thanks.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #945 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:47 AM »
anyone fished towards Brooks Bay?? Never fished there in winter only summer. Thanks...
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #946 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Let’s play “fact or fiction”

I have access on the north side, in Conklinville. I’ve been told that ice tends to be a little on the sketchy side compared to other parts of Sacandaga.

Fact or fiction?

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #947 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:31 AM »

I have access on the north side, in Conklinville. I’ve been told that ice tends to be a little on the sketchy side compared to other parts of Sacandaga.

Fact or fiction?

I have a camp in Day on the north shore, Ive been told the same thing.  Due to the current from the river, Ive heard the ice gets sketchy up there.  I dont know from personal experience, because of what ive been told, I never wanted to find out. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #948 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:07 AM »

Fact or fiction?

I’d say so. It’s definitely got current all season. Flowing water makes ice sketchy, it could be a foot thick in one spot and a couple inches 10 feet away. Definitely more forgiving when we have a good amount of ice build up.  - few other spots to look out for are Sinclair point ,  around the bridge, the south east side of scout around the channel.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #949 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:22 AM »

I’d say so. It’s definitely got current all season. Flowing water makes ice sketchy, it could be a foot thick in one spot and a couple inches 10 feet away. Definitely more forgiving when we have a good amount of ice build up.  - few other spots to look out for are Sinclair point ,  around the bridge, the south east side of scout around the channel.

Thanks for the information. Funny part is the other private access I have been granted is just east of Scout Island.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #950 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:23 AM »

I have a camp in Day on the north shore, Ive been told the same thing.  Due to the current from the river, Ive heard the ice gets sketchy up there.  I dont know from personal experience, because of what ive been told, I never wanted to find out.

Thanks for the info. Certainly will keep my eyes out for the current. Would never deter me but will certainly my keep me and my spud on my toes...

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #951 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:19 AM »
There were areas of open water on that arm of the lake last week. In the last 5 days the lake has gone down ONE foot. There is current so be very careful...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #952 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:22 AM »
There were areas of open water on that arm of the lake last week. In the last 5 days the lake has gone down ONE foot. There is current so be very careful...h2l

How much ice is currently on the lake  ? Should have some thick ice by now.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #953 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:00 PM »
I just talked to guys coming off the lake at the campsite. They said they were cutting 8 inches in spots to 12 inches in others. Not much slush and about 6 inches of snow. They didn't catch anything...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #954 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:54 PM »
I can definitely say FACT!!!! 1st winter there from buying our camp my wife and dog went for a walk, of all places, in the center. We didn't know about the area. Well the dog went through the ice and when my wife tried to get her out she went through!!!! My wife kept her composure and grabbed the edge of the ice. She instructed the dog to climb out over her back. The dog made it and it was now my wife's turn. She used the cuffs of her jacket to dig and roll from the water. Meanwhile I'm in our unheated camp checking things out with our 7 month old son 1/2 mile away!!!!! The wife walks in all wet and cold with the dog. Went to our neighbors and heated up. A tragedy diverted to say the least. Stay safe...……………
      Kim :tipup: :icefish: :cookoo:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #955 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:30 PM »
I can definitely say FACT!!!! 1st winter there from buying our camp my wife and dog went for a walk, of all places, in the center. We didn't know about the area. Well the dog went through the ice and when my wife tried to get her out she went through!!!! My wife kept her composure and grabbed the edge of the ice. She instructed the dog to climb out over her back. The dog made it and it was now my wife's turn. She used the cuffs of her jacket to dig and roll from the water. Meanwhile I'm in our unheated camp checking things out with our 7 month old son 1/2 mile away!!!!! The wife walks in all wet and cold with the dog. Went to our neighbors and heated up. A tragedy diverted to say the least. Stay safe...……………
      Kim :tipup: :icefish: :cookoo:

All I can say is I’m glad they both returned to you, albeit cold and wet

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #956 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Yes, there seemed to be a lot of 14-15 inch walleyes this past summer. We had a year like that a few years ago. It got better for a few years after that. The spawn can be very hit and miss, depending on Springtime water levels. It would still be a good thing if the state could dump a couple of 5 gallon buckets of fry once in awhile....h2l

Are their any private stockings or is that not a possibility?

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #957 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:13 AM »
Piscesman, glad the wife and dog made it out. What general area of the lake was that? Just so people have an idea of the ice condition in that area. Thanks...h2l

Northville, NY

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #958 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:16 AM »
Are their any private stockings or is that not a possibility?

The only stocking of walleye are those that are put in by GSLFF. I still do not understand why the state doesn't stock, they use too, years ago....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #959 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Yeah they stock the eyes and the trout

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.