New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221406 times)

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #900 on: Dec 26, 2019, 05:53 PM »
I would say so, the lake is dropping so the shorelines are settling,but any damage the sun does during the day is getting refrozen plus some.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #901 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:33 PM »
They are taking it down 3 inches a day and it is still 10 FEET higher than it's normal level for this time of year. They have a long ways to go...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #902 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Nice Pike goose. Got out on the south end today and between two of us we picked off 6 keeper walleyes..and saw a 40" Pike caught....congrats to Brett on that one..had a solid 7" of ice where we were so take it for what it's worth...
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
« Reply #903 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Going to try the lake for the first time tomorrow for perch or walleye hopefully. Is broadalbin boat launch the only access to the southern end? If so it looks like I'll be going in blind from there lol
Dirty Drifters

Offline Gravel Lizzard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #904 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Good to hear the ice is holding. Anybody out today?

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #905 on: Dec 27, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Thank you guys, I’ll be out in the morning and post the ice conditions that we find

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #906 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:02 PM »
any update on the lake after the rain today? gonna venture out tomorrow and give it a shot

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #907 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Going to try the lake for the first time tomorrow for perch or walleye hopefully. Is broadalbin boat launch the only access to the southern end? If so it looks like I'll be going in blind from there lol

The launch is a good place to start. Other places in the south end- Lanzi's have a bar at the southern tip, don't know the name, used to be called the Sand Bar, they don't mind you accessing the lake, just park out of the way and don't block the dumpster. Across the lake from the launch is the Mayfield Town Beach. At the end of Vandenburgh Point is Wally's Bar, off of Rt.30. Then, still on Rt.30, a little north, is Lanzi's Restaurant.  Then, keep going north to Bunker Hill Rd. Turn right onto it and follow it around to the Hudson River Regulating Board Offices. They usually plow the beach and you can park there. There is also plenty of access in the northern end. Oh, and I almost forgot the Sport Island Pub, just off of Rt.30, just before the Northville Bridge. Good Luck!

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #908 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Got a good inch out there :tipup: :o

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #909 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:17 PM »
Nice pig 🐖

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #910 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:52 PM »

What a slob! Congrats! Was that today?
Rob

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #911 on: Jan 02, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Slammer 👍🏻

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #912 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Deadlake, nice pike....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #913 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Nice pike how long was it.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #914 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:08 PM »
44 in,, weighed 25 had it mounted, caught it last Christmas, this year three 36,39, 42

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #915 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:03 PM »
44 in,, weighed 25 had it mounted, caught it last Christmas, this year three 36,39, 42

Kool mount. Like the snow covered tipup. Now you need to get a Golden Shiner mounted on a treble hook dangling from the tipup right in front of the Pike's open mouth.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #916 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:56 AM »

How do you fish for the big girls? Giant sucker dead or alive? Just under ice or laying on the bottom?

Offline Walleyes killers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #917 on: Jan 04, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Just wondering ice conditions at Northampton park?

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #918 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:46 AM »
We use mono 20lbs leader, hang dead sucker half way down, say 12 ft water, put down 6. We use if you can get 8-10 inch suckers, step n sucker slightly to kill it , cut a slit so some juices come out, Hook treble in middle and hang it.  Also caught some big ones with medium shiners, same setup but don’t kill. Early ice we get more, Sunday we caught four pike  biggest 35 mostly a lot of 30in. Seams to be slowing down, was way better December started around the 15 th. Good luck a lot of others are catching good one now.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #919 on: Jan 08, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Just wondering ice conditions at Northampton park?

Was out there a week ago and the ice was around 7 inches however there is a big pressure ridge that runs the shoreline there. You'll want to use caution crossing it or find a way around it. Make sure you have a spud bar. Once your passed the ridge the ice should be fine.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline HammeredMinnow7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #920 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Has anyone had a chance to get out after this past weekends spring temps? I was wondering how much ice was left after the unfavorable temps?

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #921 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I heard reports of anywhere between 5 - 9 inches Sunday.  More on the northern end of the Lake.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #922 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I know it has come up over a foot since Sat. night. No one out on the Northville end today. Open water down to almost the launch...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline just1moredad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #923 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:47 PM »
We had four to six inches of ice in the Northville area today.Be careful around old holes.Cloudy grey ice.        Only ventured out around 150 to 200 yards .Cold weather on the way.

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #924 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Definitely watch your step around old holes. I was out all day yesterday, several old holes eroded to manhole dimensions around 20" to 24" diameter. Ice was bare, easy to spot them. BUT...If we get even just a half inch covering of snow and the holes have skimmed over, you won't see them until you've dropped through. And it won't be a crash-through with broken ice in the swimming pool you just created like a typical thin ice situation. You will drop straight through like a sewer manhole, you better hope you come back up straight through or you will be banging your head against the bottom of 8" to 10" of ice. Hoping we don't get snow until the cold snap firms them up. We bottomed out at 30.6 degrees over night, so not much has changed. They will still be open today.

Offline Icehole_NJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #925 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Hey guys, we don't have any good ice down here in NJ, so i'm thinking of heading up for the weekend.  Any good recommendations anyone can make for a good tackle shop with live bait near the Lake.  Also, any Ice reports would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #926 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:22 PM »
      I,
Would HIGHLY recommend a spud at this time. Thinking of visiting and will be bringing one. I thank the people giving us this information and do not take it lightly. Stay Dry...……..
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #927 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:12 AM »
bbrown, a very good report for this end of the lake. I hope people read it...h2l

Also, the lake has come up 2 feet since Sunday....
Northville, NY

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #928 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:52 AM »

AHPS projecting another .8' rise in water levels, HRBRRD projecting .9' before they start to pull the cork in a few days. The edges are shot where I've checked. I'd recommend staying off for a while, especially if we get the insulating 1" to 3" of snow tonight.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #929 on: Jan 15, 2020, 11:05 AM »
Hey guys, we don't have any good ice down here in NJ, so i'm thinking of heading up for the weekend.  Any good recommendations anyone can make for a good tackle shop with live bait near the Lake.  Also, any Ice reports would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jim's Bait is right there in Mayfield (118 Second Ave Ext, Mayfield, NY 12117). Make sure you bring a spud bar with you as our weather has been mild up here.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.