New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221209 times)

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #540 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Where about? I fish by fishouse rd side any ice update over there?
weekend hooker!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #541 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Goose, 20 inches is a nice one. Don't keep them all...

Good report Vern....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #542 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:32 AM »
What’s an avg / normal size eye for daga I caught a couple 20” over summer nothing any bigger

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #543 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:21 AM »
I had some luck in deep (35-40) fow this summer with the eyes but do you regulars target them in shallows during the winter or should I go right back to where I had success in the summer deep water?

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #544 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I had some luck in deep (35-40) fow this summer with the eyes but do you regulars target them in shallows during the winter or should I go right back to where I had success in the summer deep water?

Well with the water being lower this time of year I think you would do well to try the same spot you got them at this summer.  The key at Sacandaga is often to be fishing near some type of structure. 

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #545 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:11 PM »
What’s an avg / normal size eye for daga I caught a couple 20” over summer nothing any bigger

This past summer I caught a lot of fish over 15 inches but nothing over 20". It was a very good year. I would like to think it was because of the past 2 winters without much good ice, keeping many off the ice. The way this winter has started out, that may change. The lake gets hit pretty hard in the winter when there is good ice. We will have to wait and see. There are some nice walleyes in the lake, just not a lot of bigger fish. In more than 50 years, I think my biggest was just under 27 inches and that was some time ago but they are there....Good Luck and don't keep them all....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #546 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:14 AM »
To my friends on the GS  last night I caught the biggest walleye through the ice here in Ct. 11.35lbs just made it through the hole Check out Ronald Colaresi on facebook for pic

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #547 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Congrats, Ron. Catch one like that next month....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Went to Sac for my first ever ice fishing trip last year out of Broadalbin. Had a good time and caught some bass and little pike. I've fished in the summer time and always like fishing around sport island pub, and by the islands out from wally's. How's the ice up that way? Anyone have luck fishing by those spots? Any info greatly appreciated. Where is there public parking by these places? I live hour and half away. Planning on heading out in 2 weeks. If anyone would like to fish together i like having a buddy on the ice with me.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #549 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:04 PM »
You can park right at wallys and there is pretty good fishing on both sides of Vandenburg point. 12in of ice right now

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #550 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Anybody heading out tomorrow off Broadalbin boat launch? I'm picking up shiners today and gonna brave it out there. Hows the drag? I'd like to venture out a ways, but if the snow hasn't blown off (which in this wind i'm sure it is) i don't wanna pull too far in deeper snow.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #551 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I'm not about to head out tomorrow but I'll be out there MON. Just went through all of my gear and I'm ready and anxious.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #552 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Anyone been out by Scout? Debating going there or Northampton on Mon. Have had good and bad days at both. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Just saw this posted on Facebook.

WARNING WARNING WARNING
To all people riding snowmobiles and using the lake .

Directly across the spillway in Northville directly across from Sport Island-Pub almost in the middle of the the lake there is a frozen log that sticks out of the ice about two feet!  I have been told by emergency crews that if someone was to hit it , it would be a horrible emergency call .  I was told it is visible in the day time but difficult to see at night !  Thank you to Josh Bedell for this alert !  Please share

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #554 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Someone outta take a chainsaw out there and probably save a life lost a good friend in 05 to a sled accident he hit a dock that wasn’t taken out

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #555 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:58 PM »
IF they can't cut it maybe put a cone on it or something. that wouldn't be good

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #556 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:51 AM »
You have to be very careful riding along the beach as many home owners leave their docks on their beach and just let the water drop in the fall. There are also many old stone walls that project out from the shoreline. Just BE CAREFUL....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #557 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Where about? I fish by fishouse rd side any ice update over there?
I fish a couple miles north up there,I had 10-12 inches last weekend there’s gotta be quite a bit more now

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #558 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Goose, 20 inches is a nice one. Don't keep them all...

Good report Vern....h2l
I only kept two of the five,unfortunately the bigger one was one of them.i try to release any that are 18 or bigger,this time she was hooked really bad.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #559 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Just saw this posted on Facebook.

WARNING WARNING WARNING
To all people riding snowmobiles and using the lake .

Directly across the spillway in Northville directly across from Sport Island-Pub almost in the middle of the the lake there is a frozen log that sticks out of the ice about two feet!  I have been told by emergency crews that if someone was to hit it , it would be a horrible emergency call .  I was told it is visible in the day time but difficult to see at night !  Thank you to Josh Bedell for this alert !  Please share

do someone a favor then...grab your chain saw and lop it off at the surface of the ice.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #560 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:20 PM »
do a favor take a saw and cut the s.o.b. out so someone dosen't get hurt. it'll take bout 5 mins. Didn't get out this weekend because i was at a maple conference but i will be out there near deer island next weekend. tight lines.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:55 AM »
The log was cut off and removed shortly after the initial post on facebook so it's no longer a hazard out there.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #562 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Just got home from the Sacandaga. (Southern end). Had a couple of dropped flags. Guess I'll have to go back to get that big walleye or pike that couldn't find my bait today. I know that they are there. We have caught them before and put them back in....

Offline Boomer23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #563 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:44 PM »
I rented a house with some buddies on the lake near the Conkingville Dam ( about 3/4 mile southwest of it on the south side) for the 1st weekend in February.  I've never fished this lake and this trip is more about hanging out vs hard core fishing.  I'm hoping to just set up some Tip-ups close by the house.  Has anyone had any luck down that way or are most of the fish caught on the Main Lake near town?  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #564 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Just got back from the Sacandaga again. Same results as my last post. Time to move further North (Northampton) and try it later in the day. I know they are there someplace. Maybe saving the bite for the Challenge.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #565 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I rented a house with some buddies on the lake near the Conkingville Dam ( about 3/4 mile southwest of it on the south side) for the 1st weekend in February.  I've never fished this lake and this trip is more about hanging out vs hard core fishing.  I'm hoping to just set up some Tip-ups close by the house.  Has anyone had any luck down that way or are most of the fish caught on the Main Lake near town?  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!
I could be wrong but I don't believe that freezes very well up towards the dam. You could always head a little farther south to fish house or broadalbin area to fish on the "main" lake where there's plenty of ice

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #566 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:29 AM »
I second what BBB said. Ice at that end of the lake can be very iffy. It does get fished but most fish the main lake....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trueweekendwarrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #567 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Has anyone been out from the Broadalbin launch today?  I would like to get out there tomorrow.  I'm just wondering what the ice conditions are like.

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #568 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:55 PM »

I own a camp up at the north end of the lake and NEVER ice fish up that way.  That is where the Sacandaga River runs through the lake and there is current up that way. I wouldnt trust the ice, if it even freezes over completely.  I have never seen anyone fishing that end of the lake through the ice.  Make the drive down to Broadalbin, Mayfield, Lanzis, etc...it would be worth the trip for you!

Offline Boomer23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #569 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I own a camp up at the north end of the lake and NEVER ice fish up that way.  That is where the Sacandaga River runs through the lake and there is current up that way. I wouldnt trust the ice, if it even freezes over completely.  I have never seen anyone fishing that end of the lake through the ice.  Make the drive down to Broadalbin, Mayfield, Lanzis, etc...it would be worth the trip for you!

Thanks for the replies!  I appreciate the feedback - and good to know.  I wondered about that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.