New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221361 times)

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #510 on: Dec 25, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Any safe ice on GSL? Hoping to try tomorrow with my son.

Offline Peter_C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #511 on: Dec 25, 2017, 02:04 PM »
the lake had 3.5 inches before the rain then we got six inches of snow on top of that now the wind is blowing 40 mph out there Wednesday suppose to be -13 below zero next weekend should tell the tale i wouldnt venture out there now Maybe friday or saturday should be good Good luck
How Dea Biten

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #512 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Problem is

The problem with the walleye challenge is that if you don't live local by the time you get you registration form in the mail,the contest is already full!  I have emailed the Fulton county chamber to see if there was some other fair way to have a chance to register, maybe an online registration page instead of snail mailing the registration forms. ???Just a thought!

If you called the C of C you should have been told that the out of area mailers are sent out before any with the local postal zip code are mailed. I questioned that when I turned mine in at the chamber.

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
« Reply #513 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Hi Friends.  New to the forum.  I'm a transplant to NYC from Utah and hoping to do some hardwater trout fishing.  It's a trek for me to get up to these promising lakes so any update on safe ice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  thetugisthedrug

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #514 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I have to agree with fish on. I have been in this contest for the last few years and i have to tell ya i still havent received my contest registration papers to enter. People up there are slow and stop speeds.
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #515 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:38 AM »
the contest has sold out every year, EVERY YEAR!!!! I live local and have been in the contest every year since it started. have I come close to not making it in a time or 2, yes. have I learned to go directly to the store and sign up when I get the paper in the mail, yes. I don't believe there is a bigger contest in NYS. along with this is ALOT of VOLUNTEER time....
I really don't see how they can make it any easier for people to sign up. the out of town people had registrations mailed out almost a full week before the locals got theirs mailed out.
is that fair? should they all be dropped in the mail at the same time? should you only be able to mail back your entry to enter? should they make it an UNLIMITED ENTRY? these are all fair questions, but at the end of the day the 2018 contest is SOLD OUT and if anyone would like to make SUGGESTIONS on how to improve things stop by and talk to Lou or Beaver or someone from the Chamber and offer to VOLUNTEER some time to help come up with a better way of entering a contest the gets SOLD OUT(1750 entries) in less the 5DAYS!!!!! :woot: :woot:

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #516 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Just as info...took a ride down to the campsite. The gate is open and has been plowed out...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #517 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Hi Friends.  New to the forum.  I'm a transplant to NYC from Utah and hoping to do some hardwater trout fishing.  It's a trek for me to get up to these promising lakes so any update on safe ice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  thetugisthedrug

There aren't a lot of trout in Sacandaga. Some, yes, we stock it (The GSLFF) but they are still far and few between. I have fished this lake for 50 years. I have caught one trout. Seriously. If you really want to get into the trout, Lake George has a healthy population of lake trout. For the length of a trip you have to make to this area, you might consider Lake George. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #518 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:12 AM »
I was wondering, how is the perch population in the lake? Are they mostly small? I'm not too familiar with the lake but will be working in the area and was wondering where a decent spot be for catching a few of those tasty critters? I haven't had any in a couple of years.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #519 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Ben, it is not bad, when you find them. This past summer got some pretty good ones. They were all released. Good Luck...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #520 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:31 AM »
My friend was on the lake yesterday with his side by side checking the ice......8-9 inches in the area of Lanzis.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #521 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:44 AM »
thanks Booker. sounds like shantys will be rolling out soon.......  you guys gonna be out of Wallys again this year?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #522 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Any places on the southern basin to be wary of in terms of ice thickness?

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #523 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Does anyone know if you can park at the Broadalbin Launch/beach parking lot to get access to the lake. If not where else is a good spot to get onto the lake on the south end. I'm new to the area.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #524 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Yeah you can park at the boat launch . Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you go . Dec also parks at the launch !

Offline ironjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #525 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Would the end by Northville be fish-able this weekend?

Offline d36344

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:53 PM »
As far as the southern end just look out for the south side of Scout Island in the channel.  It is always flowing.  Just follow the tracks.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #527 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Yeah you can park at the boat launch . Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you go . Dec also parks at the launch !

As does Forest Rangers. I got checked by one a few years back. Bait receipt, lic. ATV reg. The whole 9 yards.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I guess they are doing what they get paid for. They do work for us...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #529 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:09 AM »
thanks Booker. sounds like shantys will be rolling out soon.......  you guys gonna be out of Wallys again this year?
[/queote]

Haven't been out there (scout) yet but hoping to get out this coming week. Good luck on the ice this year. I know there's lots of big ones in that lake.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #530 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I got roughly 8 inches today on the Edinburg side,it made an inch overnight.they have been biting good both nights even with the cold front

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #531 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:23 PM »
got my shanty out today. gonna hit it up tomorrow and see what bounty the lake may bring..tight lines to all
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #532 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Hey 02 relax! The out of town mailing thing you speak of is bull! I still havent received mine in the mail. Stop calling it a walleye challenge when in reality its a penny social for you locals. If its a fishing contest FISH!!!!!  Dont show up with a ticket and your oxygen bottle and wheelchair to get drunk!
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #533 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Hey 02 relax! The out of town mailing thing you speak of is bull! I still havent received mine in the mail. Stop calling it a walleye challenge when in reality its a penny social for you locals. If its a fishing contest FISH!!!!!  Dont show up with a ticket and your oxygen bottle and wheelchair to get drunk!

Seems as thought you need to take some of your advice....... I have fished every year, even the last 2 when the contest was cancelled do to lack of ice. I don’t need to drink and suck oxygen to have a good time. Like I said before, you think you can “offer” something to make this contest better stop and talk to Lou or Beaver Ross. Better yet, STAY HOME..........

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #534 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Talk is cheap...especially when you don't have facts. I agree.....stay home

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #535 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:39 AM »

NYS Licensed Guide

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #536 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Don't hate the player, hate the game!  :tipup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #537 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Happy new years Guys Time for some new BS

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #538 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:45 PM »
had ourselves a decent day yesterday. Targeted walleye obviously, ended up with 5 keepers 2 shorts one perch and a handful of bass. A couple nice ones actually. All in al a good day on the big lake. We had bout 10-12 inches of ice out in front of hudson river reg. district.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #539 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Went out by myself again tonight,had a foot of ice and caught 5 keepers,one of which was a fat 20 incher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.