New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220979 times)

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #480 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:36 PM »
well said pike...well said.. ;)

Thanks man.  Just trying to do my part.  I fell through two years ago for the first time (28 years on ice).  We were on a solid 12" and got a light dusting of snow the night before...I blew through a spot that must have froze over just before the dusting.  As long as the weather stays cold and we dont get any freak warm ups, we are off to a good start to have the safest ice in the last 4 or so years.  I have been dying to get my son out for the last two years but the ice has been to unpredictable when dealing with a 6 year old.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #481 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I was up towards northville,a little way off shore.unfortunately this warm day with rain has covered the ice with water as well,I'd like to see it all freeze again before I go out for the second time

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #482 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Yeah me and jay wanna get the shanty back out this year. I wanna get my 4 yr old boy out there something fierce but not till its super safe and he has a spot to get warm and such and have some fun bein with dad and grandpa and the boys. Playin hard and eating some venison..like i did as a young lad. Have fun and be safe
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #483 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Vern, who GAVE you venison...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #484 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:22 PM »
hahahaha jay took care of that this year as i was busy building my new house...selling the old one..and taking care of life now its time to fish before syrup season.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #485 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Must have been a good run last spring. You moving closer to the Mud House?...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Justice Fishnett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #486 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Could anybody please tell me how I can enter the GSL tournament this year? Have never done it and would like to try it out. Thanks!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #487 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:53 AM »
The big Walleye contest is sold out. There is the GSLFF contest. Go to their web site for into....h2;
Northville, NY

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #488 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Fished a couple times last year and got skunked! Usually doesn't happen to me looking forward to figuring it out this year

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Justice Fishnett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #489 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:31 AM »
The big Walleye contest is sold out. There is the GSLFF contest. Go to their web site for into....h2;
Thanks H2L, my "friends" were sapose to let me know about it months ago but never did. Theres always next year!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #490 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:37 AM »
it sells out quickly

Offline Peter_C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #491 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:39 PM »
ice is sketchy here in cranberry creek with a big crack fifty yards out but dont need much water to catch christmas eve dinner still only got 3.5 inches of ice dont venture too far stay safe
How Dea Biten

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #492 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Had 3.5 inches on the Edinburg side yesterday when I checked,I'll be out again this weekend

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #493 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:14 AM »
Thanks H2L, my "friends" were sapose to let me know about it months ago but never did. Theres always next year!

Write to the Fulton County Chamber of Commerce. Ask to be put on the mailing list. Then they will send out an application right to your door next year. 

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #494 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Could anybody please tell me how I can enter the GSL tournament this year? Have never done it and would like to try it out. Thanks!

Go to their website.. GSLFF, look up "Contests", find the appropriate form, print it out, send it in. Easy. Do you know about the Fuel & Food Contest? Three days, first weekend in March. Go to Fuel & Food, same deal as GSLFF. Print. Send in. Get a Bigg'in!

Offline fishon10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #495 on: Dec 23, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Problem is

The problem with the walleye challenge is that if you don't live local by the time you get you registration form in the mail,the contest is already full!  I have emailed the Fulton county chamber to see if there was some other fair way to have a chance to register, maybe an online registration page instead of snail mailing the registration forms. ???Just a thought!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #496 on: Dec 23, 2017, 05:20 PM »
not to mention the number of people who want to actually fish in the tourney and can't because so many people register just to get in the raffles.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:28 AM »
Problem is

The problem with the walleye challenge is that if you don't live local by the time you get you registration form in the mail,the contest is already full!  I have emailed the Fulton county chamber to see if there was some other fair way to have a chance to register, maybe an online registration page instead of snail mailing the registration forms. ???Just a thought!

I'm not local to the lake and I have never had a problem. In fact, I was out of town when mine arrived this year. It was almost a week before I got back and could mail it in. I got in with no problem. Then, two days after I mailed it, I heard it was closed. So I JUST made it.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #498 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:28 AM »
I live in Ct. the mail has always been later than the filling of the tourney,Got in 9 times in a row by calling the chamber of commerce around nov 1 every yr.once people start returning their registrations,they e-mail me the apps and I send them in. If there was a way to do it on line would be fair to everyone,In addition to that maybe having a box you can check if your fishing or not,that way you could get the 1750 people fishing as well as the ones who just want to be in the raffel.which would increase prize money. Just my two cents worth :tipup:

Offline Sammon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #499 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Walleye CHALLENGED!, It's called the great dead sea, is it not!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #500 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:59 AM »
It is....
Northville, NY

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #501 on: Dec 24, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Problem is

The registration mailer is mailed to out of towners a week before it’s mailed to locals. This was directly from the chamber when I called this year to see when they were getting mailed.

Offline fishon10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #502 on: Dec 24, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Not sure that I am buying that.  I am an out of towner and I get my mail every day.  Before my registration even got to me, there were posts on this site that the contest was full already.  Have a great holiday everyone!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #503 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Fishon, The way I understand it, is the local store that sells them is allowed so many to be sold and the C of C gets another block to be mailed out. Someone may have gone in to buy one and they had sold out of what they had...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #504 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:52 AM »
Walleye CHALLENGED!, It's called the great dead sea, is it not!

Yes. Yes it is. But, as one who fishes this lake a lot, and catches a lot of fish, I object to that name for the lake. It is true, it can be a tricky lake to fish because it is really a resevoir and the habitat is frequently changing. But, like anything else, if you put in the time to learn the lake, you will catch fish.  Good Luck!

Offline Harper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #505 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:41 AM »
There will never be a way to make the Challenge suitable for everyone. With that being said, if it tends to cater to the locals, so be it. I also believe that the people that actually fish the contest should have preference over the non fishers.
Harper's Tip-Up Inn

Offline fishon10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #506 on: Dec 25, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Hunts2long, thanks for that info. I didn't know that.  Next year I will have to remember to contact C of C in November.  Merry Christmas all!!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #507 on: Dec 25, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I'm all in, You guys just keep making Ice  . I have icefished the so called dead sea for more than 10yrs. Winning one yr.Placing a few others,A lot of weighed in but not making the cut.over the yrs. only had one yr. did not catch a walleye,did catch everything but. Hopefully everything will go off with out a hitch this Feb. My crew is made up of 4 guys ,3 from Ct. 1 from Virginia.I have to say we have always had a great time fishing as well as the party after.They do a great job running the Challenge.As for the lake giving up the gold,that's why they call it fishing.Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas :tipup:

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #508 on: Dec 25, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Octane, you catch walleyes in the "dead sea"? Merry Christmas...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #509 on: Dec 25, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Octanehi5 does, Merry Christmas see you on the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.