New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220789 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #420 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:42 PM »
How's the fishing north of bville bridge.iv never wet a line on the sac..wierd being I'm only 15 mins from access in the town of day.just wondering if the long skinny part of the lake is decent fishing or do I need to head down to near mayfield.

you can catch walleye and rainbows all day if you stay near the bridge in the main river channel. We had a house right there next to the bridge on the west side for nearly 15 years...thats where we caught all our fish.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #421 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:45 PM »

you can catch walleye and rainbows all day if you stay near the bridge in the main river channel. We had a house right there next to the bridge on the west side for nearly 15 years...thats where we caught all our fish.
thanx for the info gonna start spending some time on this lake mostly after pike eyes and perch I'll find em

Offline JiggnWithIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #422 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I'm going to head up with a buddy tomorrow his in-laws live on pike St in broadalbin and have access there. I was looking for any useful info. I've never fished this lake so just seeing if I could get some info thnx

Offline Zerakhto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #423 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:42 AM »
First time posting...Heading up to Sac this weekend to do some fishing, only if there is safe ice, of course...If not, taking the 22-250 to get in a couple of days of coyote hunting...Lots of coyote this year in our parts, saw a few and heard a bunch at dusk every evening during the late muzzle.  Any report on ice (from "I Go Inn" to Batchelorville Bridge) would be much appreciated...Good luck...

Offline swallowmypride

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish for fun....
« Reply #424 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Heading your way Friday, first timer on the "dead Sea"... any pointers? ???

Offline Zerakhto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #425 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:48 PM »
 Best "pointer" I can give is...patience...The last couple of years it's been all pike.  I go up with a group of friends one long weekend a year, and this is the weekend.  Last year we caught several pike, the largest (34") came on a tip-up at 10pm...That was the 2nd time I've caught pike well after dark.  Have done quite well with walleyes in the past, but not in the previous 2 years...Good luck...

Offline JiggnWithIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #426 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Fished up there today for first time boy was the wind whipn. Fished by sand island. Fished just the first half of the day due to the wind. Ended up with a few walleye. around 10 inches of ice

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #427 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:27 PM »
planning my first trip to sacandaga ever this weekend. always wanted to fish it for walleyes. looking for a suggestion where might be best to get a few. i was planning on either broadalbin, town of day, or the shoals around north hampton? any pointers much appreciated.

Offline swallowmypride

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish for fun....
« Reply #428 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Fished up there today for first time boy was the wind whipn. Fished by sand island. Fished just the first half of the day due to the wind. Ended up with a few walleye. around 10 inches of ice

Nice nice! I will try to hold my mouth right this weekend and pray to the fish gods!  ;D

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #429 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:06 AM »
The 8th walleye challenge is history,Met up with Hunts2long and world famous Dave, Good to see old friends,Did not fish.Ice was safe in most areas, had the CRV on it at the camp ground.There are some 100+ happy people that made out at the drawing, Lanzy's was a great party as usual.Hopfully the 9th challenge we will have a normal winter.Stay safe out there  :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #430 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:09 AM »
There's always the food and fuel tourney the first weekend in March.  ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #431 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:52 AM »
There's always the food and fuel tourney the first weekend in March.  ;)

Please explain something to me. I'm not trying to cause trouble, just need clarification. When I post about about a tourney, specifically this one, last year, my post was deleted. Yet, you, a moderator, can post it. What's up with that???

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #432 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I fished the bay to the left of Wally's yesterday. It is so safe that I watched a plane land and take off several times.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #433 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:39 AM »
That plane didn't weigh that much and he was able to look at the ice from above and get the big picture. There are still spots that are not "so safe" as you say....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #434 on: Jan 31, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Please explain something to me. I'm not trying to cause trouble, just need clarification. When I post about about a tourney, specifically this one, last year, my post was deleted. Yet, you, a moderator, can post it. What's up with that???
Do as I say not as I do most likely.  I know the walleye challenge thread got deleted this year also.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #435 on: Jan 31, 2016, 03:28 PM »
A big round of applause goes out to Lou Stutzke, the fuel n food family, The Fulton County Chamber and Lanzis on the LAke as well as franks gun and tackle and all the other bussiness' not listed, that made the Wallaye Chalenge a succesful endeavor this year despite the ice situation. A good time was had by all and i am sure everyone is looking forward to next years walleye challenge. B :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #436 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Do as I say not as I do most likely.  I know the walleye challenge thread got deleted this year also.

Actually the walleye challenge was talked about a lot this year and left alone. At least by me.  :)

Last year we had fighting on the fuel and food thread that would not stop so it was removed. If you want to talk about fuel and food tourney on this thread, go ahead, you have my blessing.  :angel
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #437 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Actually the walleye challenge was talked about a lot this year and left alone. At least by me.  :)

Last year we had fighting on the fuel and food thread that would not stop so it was removed. If you want to talk about fuel and food tourney on this thread, go ahead, you have my blessing.  :angel

Wrong thread. No fighting on the one I started. In fact, it was only up for an afternoon before it disappeared, with very few responses.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #438 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:31 PM »
That plane didn't weigh that much and he was able to look at the ice from above and get the big picture. There are still spots that are not "so safe" as you say....h2l

I was only saying that THIS bay is safe. That's all.

Offline Gadway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #439 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:01 AM »
I think some of you guys on Sacandaga should be alarmed on how many pictures you see on the web, Facebook and other social sight of all the pictures of huge Pike that you see all stacked up on the ice dead after pictures. Is there truly that many people who love to eat pike that much or is it more of a -- look everyone what I caught and now that I am done showing everyone I am just going to toss them in a ditch.  Nothing more disgusting than people who catch big fish, show the world and then just dump them. If you are one of those guys on Sacandaga just snap a quick picture and throw the darn thing back.....

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #440 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I think some of you guys on Sacandaga should be alarmed on how many pictures you see on the web, Facebook and other social sight of all the pictures of huge Pike that you see all stacked up on the ice dead after pictures. Is there truly that many people who love to eat pike that much or is it more of a -- look everyone what I caught and now that I am done showing everyone I am just going to toss them in a ditch.  Nothing more disgusting than people who catch big fish, show the world and then just dump them. If you are one of those guys on Sacandaga just snap a quick picture and throw the darn thing back.....
I personal would never do this but I only take what I eat, but if a person is legal they can do it. But it's not ethical. You are not a true sportsman. And it's really not good for the fishery. RETURN WHAT YOU DON"T EAT!!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #441 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Its been a long time since I have seen stacks of pike piled up on this lake, as you say.  I do see some nice pike caught and released and I do see some kept. There are some very nice pike caught every year. As a whole the lake keeps producing some nice fish. More harm is done by the fishermen that keep the small fish, under 36" as an example...Just my .02....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:17 AM »
I know for the three day tourney Lou tells people don't even bother with pike 36 or less.  He is also really good about going out and measure fish that will be released. 

Offline Crappie Killr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Feb 01, 2016, 03:06 PM »

I agree. I have connections to several people around the GSL area and have seen way too many pictures this year of nice pike that will never be caught again. Saw a picture just yesterday with 5 nice pike all lined up on the ice. Just my opinion, but pike are better fighters that they are food.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Feb 01, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I'm from Mayfield and fished the GSL my whole life. If you can ice 5 "nice" pike in 1 outing i'm impressed!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #445 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:33 PM »
The pike population in GS is not going anywhere,There largest predator fish is doing very well,Taste as good as walleye,I have never seen anyone just leave a limit of fish frozen on the ice. NY has laws that govern the lakes,as well as the daily creel limits. Everyone has to have a license, As long as they abide by the laws.When we all catch fish its up to the guy who caught it as to C&R or Harvest it. There are some nice ways on Youtube ,how to filet a pike with no bones in the filets :tipup:

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:23 PM »
I never understood keeping trophy northerns as well...or trophy anything.

Offline zAc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #447 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:59 AM »
I'm from Mayfield and fished the GSL my whole life. If you can ice 5 "nice" pike in 1 outing i'm impressed!

I agree, maybe a large group with lots of chances but five in one day would be impressive. Havnt spent much time on the lake ice fishing cause of Dead Sea rumors but I have had some decent days. Pulled a 36 inch pike out yesterday had to bring it home. (Was on a trout tip up) hooked was deep. If fileted the right way no bones and beer batter, taste as good a any walleye I have ever had.

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:35 PM »
The pike population in GS is not going anywhere,There largest predator fish is doing very well,Taste as good as walleye,I have never seen anyone just leave a limit of fish frozen on the ice. NY has laws that govern the lakes,as well as the daily creel limits. Everyone has to have a license, As long as they abide by the laws.When we all catch fish its up to the guy who caught it as to C&R or Harvest it. There are some nice ways on Youtube ,how to filet a pike with no bones in the filets :tipup:
I agree!!!! I've seen smaller bodies of water where pickerel are well populated & people out to get perch or crappie, etc, leave piles of pickerel on the ice for the eagles or fox/coyotes rather than throw them back as they are aggravated by the nuisance of all the pickerel & this has not dented the pickerel population even a little bit.  I've never seen anyone leave a northern. I don't ever really target them but if I caught a monster  (as what happened last season) I might put it on the wall (lol as I did last year). I fish the dead sea often & very true, the pike are not going anywhere.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #449 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Fished off the bp boat launch today. Didn't catch any but marked a ton in 20 fow . Found a froze over tip up about 1/4 mile out and a mini sledgehammer ! Not sure what it was used for ha ha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.