New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220895 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #360 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:03 AM »
the good news is its going to be below freezing for more than a week,this should tighten things up.it may be to little to late for the challenge

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #361 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:19 AM »
We were out on Saturday.   4ish inches in a bay.  Didn't exactly kill it..few flags, no fish.   Middle looked wide open.

Friend of a friend caught some nice pike the last couple of weeks...

Let's hope things tighten up.   :tipup:

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:34 AM »
As of Sunday there was open water in front of Lanzi way out in middle, cut 5 inches in bay, mayfield.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:01 AM »
I drilled 5 holes in mayfield Bay that had 5 in of ice then the 6th had an 1.5in gotta be careful out there!

Offline lakeview

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #364 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:34 PM »
guys be careful out here, I've lived on and fished this lake my whole life and it's not been like this since the late 80's early 90's. the ice is scary in spots and still not safe pass 100 yards I don't believe I'll be fishing this challenge I hope everyone is thinking about safety first. good luck and please be smart!!!!!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #365 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Is the challenge still on?? I hadn't heard one way or another.

Offline lakeview

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:58 PM »
their is going to be a decision made today, tomorrow or the next day about the challenge. was soon I hear something I will post it here.

Offline fishon10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #367 on: Jan 18, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Challenge is cancelled :'(

Offline lakeview

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Jan 18, 2016, 05:06 PM »
this is now confirmed the challenge is off, sorry everyone. everyone can go to lanzi's on the lake at noon to draw names for the prizes.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:56 PM »
What's the news on the GSLFF Tourney? Is it still on?

Offline lakeview

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #370 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:13 PM »
walleye challenge has been cancelled

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #371 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Visit Fulton County NY on  Facebook or visit 44Lakes.com for updates.  The derby is officially cancelled as mentioned above  :-(   

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:27 AM »
but what about the GSLFF tourney???

Offline rwl20002

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:46 AM »
the gslff web site says its been cancelled

Offline Ghostchef44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bottom Budget Hookers
« Reply #374 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I know alot of people come from outta state for this but in a wk it should be fine deff by the 31th .. They should change the rule til they have the right to cancel the tournament up untill the day of .. Shoot even baseball games get cancelled the day of an people come from way farther away to be apart of it. Just suck  :'(

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #375 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:14 PM »
How about the bait shops who have to order bait for you? Maybe you will buy it if contest is a NO go at last minute...It's a contest and a good time. Yes, might be good ice by the 31st, but the contest was the 30th. You want to fish, GO FISH....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #376 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:14 PM »
One of my friends is flying in from Va. and three of us are from Ct. We will still fish the great sag ,But the call to cancel the tourney was the right thing to do. When your in a tourney that makes you check in live fish in a lake that's as big as GS,the whole lake must be accessable from all over.Giving the present condition of the lake (open Water) With snow on the lake.10 days its not going to make safe ice on the whole lake. I'm sure the decision to cancel a tourney of this size and the amount of money it brings to the area was not taken lightly. Its not the end of the world, and if it saved one life its worth my money. we will be at Lanzy's for the party as well as the drawing. Kudos to those who run the Walleye challenge :clap: :clap: :icefish:

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #377 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:15 PM »
It's crazy to me that people would even argue about canceling the tournament. Conditions are t safe now, and they still won't be on the 30th. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to look at the weather and put the 2 together with the temperatures and wind that it still won't be safe on the 30th. Sure, a lot of areas are locked up and guys are fishing but until the lake is 100% safe with 8"+ of solid ice all the way across its a good call.

Btw, has anyone seen the wind today? Those 50+ mph winds will do a number to the ice along the open water.

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:43 PM »
If one person was to drown during this contest due to questionable ice, that would be the end of it period. I would much rather miss a year than not have it anymore. Just remember it would be on Louie's shoulders and he does enough for these contests without having to put anymore on him. He is the one who started this thing and if he says its a not happening then respect that decision. The other option is to not enter the contest, then all of your issues are solved.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #379 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:54 PM »
good decision to cancel, we plan on fishing in the morning. then going to the drawing. should be a good day either way. It's all about the ice fishing anyway isn't it?

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #380 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:22 PM »
The non- fishermen (who got in the contest) should be glad the Challenge is not going to happen. Now "they" will  have a chance to win a prize for biggest fish each hour, even tho they had no intent to ever put a line in the water. I've fished everyone of the Challenges and never got a pay back yet. Maybe this will be my year.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #381 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:44 PM »
The non- fishermen (who got in the contest) should be glad the Challenge is not going to happen. Now "they" will  have a chance to win a prize for biggest fish each hour, even tho they had no intent to ever put a line in the water. I've fished everyone of the Challenges and never got a pay back yet. Maybe this will be my year.

Yeah was talking about this weekend with Jay n the guys. Sucks that the "non fishing persons" have the same chances as the rest of us now........ Should at least have to make them present to collect the hourly money. If they aren't there then redraw the $$. Not like we have anywhere to be. Wouldn't be done until 5 if they had the contest

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #382 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:55 PM »
why does it suck, they paid the same price you did. this is the 8th walleye challenge,the only one to be canceled .Its called being Fair

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:05 PM »
why does it suck, they paid the same price you did. this is the 8th walleye challenge,the only one to be canceled .Its called being Fair

Yea they did pay the same as the rest of us, but if they don't fish how do they have the same odds to cash hourly money as the ones that freeze their asses off out there for 8 hours. I know a lot of people only get into this contest for the chance to win 1 of the machines. In which they don't have to be present for to claim. All door prizes you need to claim by 5pm. So in the case of no contest and random drawing of the hourly payouts you should have to be present to claim. I have also entered this contest since the very beginning and braved the elements every year unlike some this year that will most likely cash in on an hourly payout........

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #384 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Yea they did pay the same as the rest of us, but if they don't fish how do they have the same odds to cash hourly money as the ones that freeze their asses off out there for 8 hours. I know a lot of people only get into this contest for the chance to win 1 of the machines. In which they don't have to be present for to claim. All door prizes you need to claim by 5pm. So in the case of no contest and random drawing of the hourly payouts you should have to be present to claim. I have also entered this contest since the very beginning and braved the elements every year unlike some this year that will most likely cash in on an hourly payout........

Well this year you don't have to brave the elements, why complain on here about how the contest is being run. They're all volunteers who spend a lot of time organizing this event every year for no direct benefit to themselves. It seems to,be a success every year. Plus it's too tough to reschedule something like this where you get people from out of state that take time off from work to come to this event

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Anyone know what parts of sacandaga will be safe by Friday?? I'm targeting pike so whatever areas I can find them is where I wanna be.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #386 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Well this year you don't have to brave the elements, why complain on here about how the contest is being run. They're all volunteers who spend a lot of time organizing this event every year for no direct benefit to themselves. It seems to,be a success every year. Plus it's too tough to reschedule something like this where you get people from out of state that take time off from work to come to this event

Really?? I'm not using this forum as a place to complain. I merely said that it sucked cause all 1750 are eligible for the random drawing. Of those 1750 how many actually fish?? I bet not
More than 1200-1300. And I had only said that they should be present to claim any of the hourly prizes that are awarded.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I'm with you  beer belly bob I'll just add one more thing Now that you know how things are run in the tourney,being fair and all you may want to reconsider getting in it next yr.Most of us are very happy with the way they run it. If its freeze your A___ off you want I hear Lanzy's will have a cold plunge open in the lake

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #388 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:08 PM »
I'll be fishing.....  Shanty will be out this weekend, anyone wants to stop by for a cold one.....(beer) feel free.....

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #389 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Anyone know what parts of sacandaga will be safe by Friday?? I'm targeting pike so whatever areas I can find them is where I wanna be.

Your best bet for fishable ice is on the south end of the lake. With that being said this is a very dangerous lake especially with the conditions we have had. There are currents that run through different areas of the lake. My advice is to stay off it or at least check the ice as you go if you don't know this lake well. A sled went in yesterday where 50 yards away there is 7". It was at a known bad area but be careful if you go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.