New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220803 times)

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #150 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Minnow, that is exactly what I remember about that incident. Anyone that doesn't believe it to be that way should go directly to Lou and get it right from the source.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:02 AM »
fished 5 guys yesterday from 12-5 in white out conditions again,  caught one pike around 20ish, and one eye at 17 1/2", one other dropped flag.  tough getting around with the wheeler with the snow texture, hopefully the storm on tuesday will be wet snow and will pack down the snowmachine trails.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:30 AM »
not what happened at all.  Lou met him at a dunkin donuts and gave him his $20 entry fee back.  Lou said the fish made the frozen crackling noise when he laid it flat on the tape measure, said it was frozen on the inside and already thawed a little on the out.  he actually sent scales to some lab to have them tested somehow to see if it had been frozen and came back to be true.

So he didn't pay him first place money?  I could have swore that I heard that he did. Maybe not. 
J3W

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:48 AM »
So he didn't pay him first place money?  I could have swore that I heard that he did. Maybe not. 
J3W
nope.  he gave the $20 back and they are no longer allowed to enter the fuel and food tourny anymore.  Lou said he thought they were setting him up because he met the guy somewhere and thought he would have his buddies with him so Lou made sure to pack a little something under his coat.  he said the guy was good about the situation and was on his way.  no first place $ to that cheater!

Offline lakeview

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:35 PM »
i've known lou and his family for 25+ he is no lair or cheater. he offered the man his $$ but only after he wanted to test the fish and if it was found to be a good and he won. lou would at his cost contact all locally paper and report the results. and pay the man his $$. that man was told this at dd and that same man told lou, " never mind it's not worth it." i guess he didn't think he would run into someone of lou's nature. it's just good to know there are still some good people out there that aren't afraid of digging for the truth. even at there our cost.

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:49 AM »
gona be fun gettin to the shantys now

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:36 AM »
gona be fun gettin to the shantys now

i have been plowing a path to my shanty after every storm.  the wind drifts are the worst part, i was just out yesterday plowing out my paths for my tip ups.  there is alot of slush around the old holes which makes it worse.  looks like i'll be out there tomorrow also.  going to be tough to get to the way stations with the wheelers.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:38 AM »
how thick is the ice? heading out this weekend for the first time on this lake.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:58 AM »
how thick is the ice? heading out this weekend for the first time on this lake.
I measured 10-11" of black ice yesterday.  I fished from 12-6 and landed 2 eyes, 18 1/2" and 15 1/2".

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:01 AM »
thanks for the  info ssminnow maybe we will see you out there. we will be fishing around the boat club on saterday then up to fish house saterday night and sunday. good luck and tight lines

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #160 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:09 AM »
thanks for the  info ssminnow maybe we will see you out there. we will be fishing around the boat club on saterday then up to fish house saterday night and sunday. good luck and tight lines
good luck, i'll be out there but not in the tourny.  to many cheaters and to hard to travel the lake with all this snow to get to the station.  hopefully i don't catch a 10 pounder so i don't have to kick myself in the ass!

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #161 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:59 PM »
How much snow is on the lake? 

Offline Adirondackhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:08 PM »
about 16" I think.

I had some slush on the south end by mayfield too

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #163 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Okay for a machine.....would like to bring the snowmobile this weekend....fishing the Great Sac for the first time.....have a relative who owns a camp off of paradise point road.....any info would be great !  thanks...  tightlines !

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #164 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Okay for a machine.....would like to bring the snowmobile this weekend....fishing the Great Sac for the first time.....have a relative who owns a camp off of paradise point road.....any info would be great !  thanks...  tightlines !
snowmachine will be fine. there are alot of trails packed down already.  we only got a few inches today and with this rain it will pack down even better.  it is tough getting around with the wheeler.  be safe and try to stay on main trails until you find a spot because the lake has alot of unsafe spots/ice and pressure ridges.   i fished saturday and my 10" holes where still open on monday after below zero nights from the snowdrifts insulating them.  pressure ridges scare me for that reason.

Offline adirondackrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:18 PM »
They have lowered the lake level two feet in 7days. I think that is why there is so much slush and so many pressure ridges. :-\ :tipup:
[IMG]

Offline jroose1045

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:39 PM »
I have a camp in North Broadalbin, right off Fish House. I haven't been up yet. Are there wheelers and such up there yet? My buddies are nervous because of all that goes on with the water. I remember last year there were little planes landing on the ice.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:52 PM »
with the water being lowered 2 ft and the pressure ridges how safe is the ice for walking and or wheelers?

Offline CntFishw/outVex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:00 PM »
It all depends where you go.  Where there are beaten down trails is where the locals go and mostly the safest.  But yes there have been full size trucks out there over the weekend so there is plenty of ice.
"Thats how we are"
Bkt Bkt

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:00 PM »
i will be out there somewhere only have the wheeler so hopefuly i can find some packed trails

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #170 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:02 PM »
3 weeks ago, out Broadalbin Launch there was a permy shanty out in the middle - quads and sleds were all across the lake...

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:25 PM »
the shanty is ours it been out for 3 weeks now,sleds and wheelers every where, slush is terrible to the frame on buddy's wheeler. snowmobile recomended going is tough on wheelers stay on trails and hope for the best with the wheelers..
Dont't catch um all

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:56 PM »
going out tonight hope its good before the storm usally is

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:32 PM »
wheelers were useless tonight had to be towed off lake bt snowmobile slush to the frame out of broadalbin..not good we broke a trail with snowmobile this morning and it drifted in and we got stuck every 5 feet..Just pushing snow lets hope it hardens up..
Dont't catch um all

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:09 AM »
also couldmt get out to shack snow shoes for me i love to shoe also dont forget a shovel

Offline eye doc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:19 AM »
hopefully it will freeze up this weekend.   i am going to try to make it out today just to check the conditions.

Offline smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:47 AM »
My kid is out on the Mayfield side by Lakeside Dr. as I write this (7:45 am). Says the slush is frezzing up pretty good. Hopefully the real cold weather this weekend will take care of it. Been using snowmachines mostly since the snow. Up till then the wheelies. Still about 11-12 inches. Trails going to the lake are beat. Fluffy snow, with not a lot of base.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:59 PM »
who's in the turnament's this weekend? finally made it out to where im staying for the weekend and cant wait to hit the ice in the morning. we will be off of scout island look for the 2 man frabil and homemade tipdowns.

Offline tomsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:33 PM »
We're still heading up for the Fishhouse Tournament. 4 guys, 2 quads and a lot of gear. Hope the snow/slush aren't going to eliminate us from using the quads. Any reports from the Fishouse area would be appreciated.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:37 PM »
lots of snow wheelers haveing a hard time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.