The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice augers..... what is your preference?  (Read 4788 times)

kim63ny

Ice augers..... what is your preference?
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:27 AM »
What is your preference for ice augers and why?
Prefer gas, electric or hand?
Prefer a specific brand or style?
What size hole do you typically drill?

focusin

Re: Ice augers..... what is your preference?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:31 AM »
I just got a new jiffy Stealth. It cuts ice like butter. 9inch holes.
Hand augers are only good when the ice is thin. or if you're only drilling one hole.
I think if you're going out to fish a full day with 5 holes or more. you need a gas powered auger. If you fish frequently it is worth the investment. you can get a used one for about a hundred dollars.

kim63ny

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:35 AM »
Are you using such a large hole for larger fish or for the 'freeze-over' factor? Do you use tip-ups as well as jigs through that size hole? Thx, Kim

I just got a new jiffy Stealth. It cuts ice like butter. 9inch holes.
Hand augers are only good when the ice is thin. or if you're only drilling one hole.
I think if you're going out to fish a full day with 5 holes or more. you need a gas powered auger. If you fish frequently it is worth the investment. you can get a used one for about a hundred dollars.

HoneoyeH

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:37 AM »
What is your preference for ice augers and why?
Prefer gas, electric or hand?
Prefer a specific brand or style?
What size hole do you typically drill?

Gas powered is best by far.  I've used manual spoon and screw augers, and they work really well.  But after 12 to 15 holes, you're worn out.  With the gas auger you can cut all day and still have enough energy to fish.

Strikemaster with an 8" blade is my personal auger.  I only need 6" but the 8" was the only one available. :)

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:47 AM »
Kim, I feel the best auger on the market is the NilsMaster. If you buy the hand auger, you can later add a powerhead to it. I can usually have 2-3 (or more)holes drilled in more than 6" of ice before a power auger is started, warmed up and has drilled one hole. yes, if you're going through 18" of ice or more and plan on alot of holes, a power auger is the way to go. In that case, i would recommend the Nils Master also. I have used the spoon type, Mora's and Lazer's and none compare (or even come close) to the Nils.

Pete Lewis

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:03 AM »
I use my reliable Jiffy 3 hp that cuts a 8 inch hole,it has started all the time and has never let me down(Knock On Wood).

dwayne

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:15 AM »
I use a 6 inch laser....Keep sharp blades on it and it cuts like butter.  Also can re-open your holes on the cold days....I have iced 12 pound pike through the hole for all the guys out there who say it is too small of a hole diameter.

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:30 AM »
Kim, I feel the best auger on the market is the NilsMaster. If you buy the hand auger, you can later add a powerhead to it. I can usually have 2-3 (or more)holes drilled in more than 6" of ice before a power auger is started, warmed up and has drilled one hole. yes, if you're going through 18" of ice or more and plan on alot of holes, a power auger is the way to go. In that case, i would recommend the Nils Master also. I have used the spoon type, Mora's and Lazer's and none compare (or even come close) to the Nils.

I agree with pete the Nils Master has a very nice blade design that cut like no other as well as being versitile enough to fit on my power head.Nils Master has my vote!!!

The"FishinFoool" :tipup:
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2005, 11:35 AM »

now that there are nils master hand augers, this just isnt true anymore

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I like the simplicity of a hand auger...nothing to go wrong as long as the blades are sharp and fixed to the auger well.  I've tried the lazers and jiffy hand augers...never a nils master though.  I've got a cheap 8 " mora and I keep the blades super sharp by polishing the blades with a dremel and metal polish.  No problem popping 20-25 holes per day up to a foot think.  Plus it's lighter too.  I'm still young so I don't mind burning a few calories out there. maybe some day I'll go with a gas auger.

kim63ny

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Have any of you heard about the adapter so you can hook to your bigger amp rechargeable hand drills to so you can use an ice auger blade with it? Sounds like a 'cool' idea! I think an adaptable 4-6" balde would work great that way and wonder if there are shorter blades avaiable for this type of use rather than a 2-3 foot one? Anyone know anything about this? Thanks, Kim

Offline Bensmen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEN
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2005, 01:17 PM »
For slight ice. Hand Auger w/Alaskan Dreams drilling. 8" .

When it's thick Eskimo Barracuda w/10' holes is the trick. It's a bit heavy w/3 horse but the 10' holes are really sweet for jigging or tip-ups.
Alaskan Dreams (son) and Chucker (nephew) are good and strong pullers of sleds and weight isn't an issue.

Also still bring a spud for opening old holes and quick checks of iffy ice.

Kids and wife got me a power auger to even odds with arthritis. It's a back and arm saver.
Retired & Lovin\' It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Gas powered Jiffy model 30 with 8" diameter

Hand powered mora with 6" diameter
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

kim63ny

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2005, 01:39 PM »
My husband's auger has a 10" blade and often finds that the hole is generally too big for most tip-ups on the market today. He does well with his Heritage tip-ups as they are broad and sturdy and will span the 10" gap quite well. Have also heard concerns over the course of time of having large holes in the ice where children might be present or where the water will tend to freeze poorly, so only use our 10 incher when conditions seem appropriate for it, otherwise we rely on our 8" Jiffy Lazer mag hand auger(and the energy of our 15 year old sonof course! LOL!). Kim

For slight ice. Hand Auger w/Alaskan Dreams drilling. 8" .

When it's thick Eskimo Barracuda w/10' holes is the trick. It's a bit heavy w/3 horse but the 10' holes are really sweet for jigging or tip-ups.
Alaskan Dreams (son) and Chucker (nephew) are good and strong pullers of sleds and weight isn't an issue.

Also still bring a spud for opening old holes and quick checks of iffy ice.

Kids and wife got me a power auger to even odds with arthritis. It's a back and arm saver.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I bought a Strikemaster Mag 2000 last year with 10.25 inch auger. Love the unit but would prefer the 8.25 inch instead.
I use the disc type polar tip ups that fit in a 5 gal bucket and the 10 inch hole is just a tad big for these.
On very cold days it is ok because of re freeze but when it is warm or raining the holes get bigger and the discs are a sloppy fit.
Very few fish in NY that will not fit thru an 8 inch hole!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I'm a jiffy dude (never seen or used a nils, but I am sure they are good). I have a Stealth that cuts a 9 inch hole, a little on the large side...

I also have a 6inch strikemaster laser hand auger. I like it because it is easy to carry around to different jigging spots.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Walleyed

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:15 PM »
I agree that gas augers are generally quick and painless, but I am a firm believer that they will definitly spook the fish. I have had guys drill holes with a gas auger close to me and any fish I had on my vex disappear. So if it means sweatin a little or take a chance on spookin a fish (ecspecially crappie fishin) I'll do some sweatin and hand drill the holes.  Just my oppinion.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:16 PM »
when im on the move jiggin lakers i may drill up to 60 holes a day if i got company up to a 100 the 9 inch jiffy stealth  is for me.

Walleyed

« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:58 PM »
when im on the move jiggin lakers i may drill up to 60 holes a day if i got company up to a 100 the 9 inch jiffy stealth  is for me.
When you are fishing those depths it dont make much difference when it comes to the noise. I am ussually fishing 10'- 30' for panfish or walleyes and I think the noise spooks them. Just like soft water, I use my trolling motor to get into a place I think is holding fish.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:10 PM »
i couldnt tell you how many times i have drilled a few holes with the power auger, and immediatly after i drill the holes, whoever is with me has fish down there on the vex...happens at any depth too...but i agree sometimes fish can be spooky, but generally the fish that i fish for usually arent.

Walleyed

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:19 PM »
i couldnt tell you how many times i have drilled a few holes with the power auger, and immediatly after i drill the holes, whoever is with me has fish down there on the vex...happens at any depth too...but i agree sometimes fish can be spooky, but generally the fish that i fish for usually arent.
you are probably right bigred. It is just one of those percautions I take. I have heard of guys say that they think it attracts the fish. Who knows. To each there own.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:26 PM »
 6" Strikemaster Lazer all the way, cuts like a hot knife on butter.
Jason

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Jiffy 30, 10" for the Pike and Walleye in the Great Sacandaga.

billybono

« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:42 PM »
6" Strikemaster Lazer all the way, cuts like a hot knife on butter.
i agree 100% the only way to go

billybono

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Strikmaster Lazers Hand-Style, size depending on what you're landing.  Fifty plus holes a day, no problem, my wife even uses them.  When we've got alot of ice, put a powerhead (gas hand drill) it.
It's all about Karma.....

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Lazers are great!, but have you guys ever tried a nils master hand auger?

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Jiffy has always been good to me. Sturdy, strong and easy to maintain.

NAD42

« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:06 PM »
used for the 1st time, my 'new' 8'' NILS on 'toga the other day(I got dragged out there ;))...it was different at first, but, after I got the hang of it, could use 2 fingers on each hand to drill 5'' or so in seconds, no effort...that was nice.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Nils Master all the way!!!( I have the predecessor, when it was called Tanaka).  Otherwise I would adapt a Husqvarna engine to a Nils flighting and cutterhead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.