Author Topic: Outdoor Bait Tank?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
Outdoor Bait Tank?
« on: Oct 27, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Looking to build a Bait Tank outside with little to no power source.
Geothermal heating?
I am also lakefront front so maybe put it in the lake or circulate water from it? Still has the freezing issues...

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Outdoor Bait Tank?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2016, 10:05 PM »
55 gallon barrel works good or chest freezer painted black. Keeping it on the south side maybe for most sunlight.
Tight lines

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I tried that last year with a heater and it still froze solid.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2016, 07:59 AM »
I tried that last year with a heater and it still froze solid.
And last year was a mild winter

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2016, 12:15 AM »
I kinda lucked out on this issue. The previous owner of my house built an underground fruit cellar. With no heat it never gets colder than low 50's. It the summer it never get above high sixties. The only thing I had to do was install bait tank. I also added some electrical outlets.

Keep waxworms , raise european nightcrawlers and try to keep minnow tank stocked with 6-20 dozen minnows.

Also added a little bench for tying jigs . If any of you have an unused underground structure you can do something similar. I no longer have to wait for bait shops to open. If I need to restock minners or waxworms I usually buy on way home. The european nightcrawlers have been able to sustain what I use by breeding so far. Since this picture was taken I have added a bigger tank for keeping larger number of minnows.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2016, 02:42 PM »
What kind of filter is that? Do you use an airator too?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I use a 22 cf chest freezer.  about 12-15" of water.  A aerator to supply fresh air from out side and a pond pump pumping water into a 5 gallon bucket made filter.  I used pillow filling, 4 lbs aquarium charcoal than another layer of pillow filling.  Drilled 1/4" holes around the bottom.  I put a padlock on the lid so kids don't just fall into the thing. 

I have yet to have this freeze, even when it drops to -25 or so below zero and it is kept outside all winter long. 
Don

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Forest I kept mine outside last year using a big cooler with a small aquarium heater on a timer and an aerator but no filter. I changed out half the water 2x weekly and adjusted the timer from 1 hour every 4 to 1 hour every 2 depending how cold it was outside. It was a basic light timer from home depot. I also had a thermometer in the cooler and kept the water between 33 and 36 so no shock when using them or changing the water out
. I never fed them and I lost very few but I also live on a lake so it was easy to change out the water.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2016, 10:05 AM »
What would you suggest feeding them if it was necessary? Pet store flakes?
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Don't fed them. They can go a very long time without food. Have worked in a bait shop. We never fed the bait.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2016, 01:36 PM »
if you live lake front find a junk clothes washer that has a stainless drum in it. take it out and put it in the lake maybe put in a bubbler to keep it from freezing.ive been selling these drums to guys that live on lakes for  livewells for fish and bait.they are nice and big with little holes already in them and stainless wont rust away.ive got one in my pond that I keep my catfish bait in and the fish will last forever without water changes and food gets in the drum naturally  too.i didn't use a top on mine but when its really sunny out it reflects off the stainless steel and stresses the fish a little but i installed a top and it works great.

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:20 AM »
if you live lake front find a junk clothes washer that has a stainless drum in it. take it out and put it in the lake maybe put in a bubbler to keep it from freezing.ive been selling these drums to guys that live on lakes for  livewells for fish and bait.they are nice and big with little holes already in them and stainless wont rust away.ive got one in my pond that I keep my catfish bait in and the fish will last forever without water changes and food gets in the drum naturally  too.i didn't use a top on mine but when its really sunny out it reflects off the stainless steel and stresses the fish a little but i installed a top and it works great.
A bubbler and a black lid to keep the herons out. Maybe I'll try it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.