New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: went thru ice  (Read 4651 times)

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: went thru ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Spikes belong around your neck . . ALWAYS. .  ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Had a diver on the emergency recovery team tell me never wear them around neck, said you could loose them when going in. I have mine tied to D rings on my striker suit !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:47 PM »
my spikes are hooked right on the front of my jacket floatation is a great idea too

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I believe what happened is the wind blew the water around from the snow melt in this spot and it thinned it down. I will have my spikes with me instead of being in my sled. I went down spun around grabbed snow on the ice and brought my left leg on the ice, then the right one and started crawling. I looked back thinking my sled was sinking with strap around my shoulder was going to take me with it. It was still floating so i pulled it on the good ice, and away i went 800 yds away to the car no stopping had to keep the blood flowing. I couldn't imagine if was -27 like it was 3 days earlier up north. I might not be typing right now. Thanks for the replies.
Glad you got out ok. Scary stuff.
Trapper - Great video. Thanks for posting it.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:56 PM »
My Spikes are through my sleeves under my jacket....they dangle right by my hands.

I drape them across my shoulders and down my arms and hold them as i pull on my coat.

I do the same thing when Beaver trapping...the only time I have used them...I wont disclose how many times in my younger days.....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:01 AM »
 Glad all is safe , , picks , spud and creepers , all great tools 
 My spud has saved my bacon more than once , but nothing is fool proof, things can still happen ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:09 AM »
My Spikes are through my sleeves under my jacket....they dangle right by my hands.

I drape them across my shoulders and down my arms and hold them as i pull on my coat.

I do the same thing when Beaver trapping...the only time I have used them...I wont disclose how many times in my younger days.....

I went threw beaver trapping myself ,I was loaded down with pack basket and all .....lucky I was close to the  dam and  got out  ....never carried a back basket on my back  loaded again  ......

Offline Tg8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Trapper , do you sell those snippets of beaver tail for ice fishing? seems like a nice opportunity.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:23 AM »
no  can't say I have but I have tied a many a fly with fur I have trapped  muskrat makes the best dubbing

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Canadice can be tricky out on the west side early in the season. It take a bit longer to lock up and get "safe ice".  There are some spots I have seen on the west side were you can get a bubbler from natural gas on that lake. In 90 feet of water they can move around quite a bit and impact a wide area. 4" of ice is really not a good amount that I personally feel good about on this lake over the deeper water, but that is me. With 6", I feel better in case there is some variability. It is one lake that I often wear a life jacket over my my coat when I first venture out there in the season.

I am so glad that you made it out OK. On some weekdays, you might be the only one or just one of a handful of people out on the lake and there and one can get into trouble fast if it happens.

2X  hemlock and canadice have high oxygen in the water . The ice will then have more bubbles in ice as normal places do. With rain and warm temps , water on top of 4in of ice with slush . Over deep water last area to freeze. U know what happens next.......  Glad u got out and are alive.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:54 AM »

2X  hemlock and canadice have high oxygen in the water . The ice will then have more bubbles in ice as normal places do. With rain and warm temps , water on top of 4in of ice with slush . Over deep water last area to freeze. U know what happens next.......  Glad u got out and are alive.
It's called isolated Global Warming!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:23 PM »
It's called isolated Global Warming!
How are the jerks gonna blame this on the Donald. Lmao.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:06 PM »
How are the jerks gonna blame this on the Donald. Lmao.
👍🏻

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.