New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: WNY Yellow Perch?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline JDontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
WNY Yellow Perch?
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Any advice on anybody and where to find them during this super cold spell?
I live in Rochester and work seasonally, cabin fever is setting in and I am hungry for perch!
any advice would be wonderful!
Be safe!

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
Re: WNY Yellow Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:54 AM »
I live in Rochester and work seasonally, cabin fever is setting in and I am hungry for perch!
this time of year they tend to be deeper... I will be targeting 30-35ft this weekend

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Take a trip to lake Erie, usually gotta go out a few miles but you will get jumbos, and if u get to 60ft of water or a mud bottom you can get good numbers too. Otherwise if u get to a shoal bottom you will only get schools passing by. I usually head out of sturgeon point and at least 48ft of water

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:36 PM »

You have one of the best perch factories right in your backyard in Irondequoit Bay when they are active and feeding.

Perch Chacer

Offline JDontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Very nice! Thank you very much. Irondequoit, I have driven around several times and haven't seen a soul out there, so I have been reluctant to go out there. I am suppose to go to Sturgeon on Sunday, but am weary as I've heard horror stories about people getting stranded.....
Be safe!

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:27 PM »
You won't get stranded, the helicopters will give you a ride back.  It's pretty locked now you should be alight

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:42 PM »
I hate to be a bummer but I have been in Irondequoit quite a bit this season with limited success. If your looking for perch the best place to go is big water, Erie, Oneida, Keuka, Cayuga and head to deep water. When the snow pack hits the ice and the water goes dark they head deep into the mud to root up worms. I have been to Erie and Oneida and haven't killed them but I always get a couple meals. Now with the snow pack walking is gonna be tough but if you have the will and want it bad enough you can get out there. Good luck
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Very nice! Thank you very much. Irondequoit, I have driven around several times and haven't seen a soul out there, so I have been reluctant to go out there.  I am suppose to go to Sturgeon on Sunday, but am weary as I've heard horror stories about people getting stranded.....

Erie is a large lake and when on foot it seems even larger.  It is best if you have a snowmobile, some areas out of Sturgeon still are slushy and ATV's still get stuck.  You'll need to go out about 3-4 miles to the 50 plus mud bottom perch grounds.  The closer 50' waters are slate bottom and don't hold many perch, just the occasional passing school.  The main trail out is easy to follow but as you get further out the trail starts to split multiple time so a GPS is also a good device to have.  If you get to the perch grounds you will catch a lot of nice perch.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:15 AM »
The perch seem to be on strike this season, all of the regular hot spots are not producing well at all. The Lake Ontario Bays, and even Lake Erie have been very tough. They are getting some perch at Sampson State Park at Seneca Lake in the marina but it is a small area and fills up fast.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.