New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm temps and rain  (Read 795 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Warm temps and rain
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:57 AM »
I was lucky enough to get out this past week on three different bodies of water in three different counties. I found no more then 3-4 inch of black ice with some white ice (which I don't even count) In most cases I walked through 6-9 inch's of snow and slushy edges. How is the ice holding up in Eastern NY and Adk's with the warmer temps and rain?

Offline S and K fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Warm temps and rain
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Snow is gone on Champlain south of the Crown Point bridge down through. After tommorrow the temps should tighten everything back up and start making some more.
Sean

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:35 AM »
I'm hoping the snow melts off first, the white ice second, and that it leaves the 3-4 inch's of black ice.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:13 PM »
I was up north of Saranac yesterday. Ice was great. we measured 7 inches at a minimum and 8 inches in a few spots. Fishing sucked. Hammered smelt couldn't find lakers again. Third trip to this body of water and we can NOT find any lakers. Not a lot of slush when we got there all slush when we left lots of water on top. With the cold coming in up there, the stuff on top should be solid next weekend.

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Cold weather coming!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:48 PM »
The snow is gone on all the lakes I saw today in my area, lots of standing water, and I'm actually happy with that. Yeah it kinda sucks seeing we had fish able ice on some, but it was sketchy, and when it got covered....those not knowing what was there beforehand could have been in real trouble. Now they're all cleared of that problem and all we need is some of that good cold weather again. Be patient guys....I want to read about all those banner catches and see all the pictures that go with them. Tired of hearing about guys falling thru and all the sadness that goes with it, know what I mean? It's coming...stay on top!  :icefish:

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Maybe it's just me but again I don't like the warm up and rain.
I have fished good solid ice close to Albany area for 3 weeks. Pre snow and after. I fished snow covered Adirondack good ice over the last 2 weeks.
Now the Albany area ice is shot and the adk Is soggy wet with still 8" or so snow and 4" water under and very wet looking soaked areas.
Sure it will freeze again but now we will have 8" snow 4" white I e and who knows what once you break through the crust.

Honestly , if you don't know or don't use caution and common sense then stay off the hardwater, period !! Th er is no excuse for falling through

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:10 PM »
I was up in the dacks yesterday and the snow on the lakes I saw was gone and water remained.   They are saying -2 for tomorrow night.      It is what it is.    Bring a spud bar and stay dry. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Me too.. Foggy, some black ice on the roads and on off rain periods through the day.. Unless it was a big lake pushing water sucking up the snow.. This is what our adk lake looked like dawn- dusk..

Your right, we take what we can get and play safe..

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:08 AM »
Didn't mean to hit a nerve Hot Tuna, just stated my opinion on the local lakes in my area brother, not the Dacks or any other body of water.....and not to start a pissin match, but don't kid yourself about no excuse for falling thru. The whole reason behind my post was my concern about sketchy ice and the springs that were covered by snow, and I'm  relieved nobody took the plunge and the threat is gone.  Question: After you spud your way out, and you feel your on safe ice,what happens to the spud bar? Does it ever leave your hands when you go to drill your holes, do you spud every step after that when your fishing, or does the spud get laid down? You could be an inch away from a spring and never know it bro. We're all at risk of falling thru, no matter how experienced. Again, just my opinion, didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers.... :icefish:

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:44 AM »
If I'm on a new lake I like to spud the area I'm fishing then the spud bar gets put away.  Nice pic tuna.  We didn't come across body of water like that.  Long lake  area blue mountain area was a sheet of ice which  will make good ice this week
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:48 AM »
bring your iceskates! its going to be one slippery walk on the ice after this water hardens up on the ice. went out lastnight to a private pond and got on the crappys for a few hours. 2 inches of water on top and 5 inches of ice. gonna try to get a tiger this week

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:44 AM »
No feathers ruffled I just want safe good ice so folks can go out and enjoy.
We had 6" good ice near Albany by dec 7 prior and after the snow. It was safe ice not sketchy ice.
Now we have what looks like water on top of not safe ice. When it freezes again folks will look at it and think its good. This is what I call sketchy situations where folks can get in trouble.

Same goes for the adk's . That picture was taken just outside of warren county. There was 6" of good black ice under the snow. Now after the past 2 days I'd be very Leary of walking out there.
The spud bar comes out when I first start out. If its hard ice I will drill and see thickness . If all good then it stays in the sled. I'm not one to mess around with thin ice .
Be safe out there folks. For myself I will wait until things get good and solid again before going back out, adk's included.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I checked two of the lakes that  I had fished late last week(before rain) One had complete lost the edges  and we couldn't get on. The other lake was 3-4 inch's of black ice with 1.5inch of slushy water on top.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:32 PM »
we needed the rain here in western NY there was almost a foot of snow on 2 inches of good ice and 2 inches of crap and it never would have gotten safe. now the snow is all gone so the ice can start forming right
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.