New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Went NORTH today  (Read 705 times)

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
Went NORTH today
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:28 PM »
I decided to go see what all the commotion was about up on Guffin bay today. I had the day off from work. I picked up my long friend and fisherman on the way. ( former owner of "not just bait" ) When I got off 81  at watertown and started west I noticed alot of wind had picked up and knew it was going to be nasty at Guffin.

I decided to turn around and go to Lake of the isles. We parked at Dewolf park and it was plowed. We got there just about 8 am. We walked out about 30 yards and it was slush and drifts all the way, so we left. On the way out we saw a 4 wheeler on the ice and no slush, so we went back to see what gives.

The wind was 10 to 20 mph and was brutal.

Going out from the parking area by the dock WAS nasty, however, once out about 200 yards things changed dramatically. The ice firmed up. We went straight across almost to the other shore and as we went the big areas of bald ice grew bigger but there was also snow with drifts too. There was a couple of wet spots but very walkable.

The ice was ABOUT 12 inches, mostly white and very few fish. I fished about 25 holes , 50 to 100 yards apart and covered a large amount of area. The water varied from 8 ft down to 5 ft, then I swung west towards rt 81 to find 10 ft of water. The catch was 2 big perch a third the way across, then dink perch and dink blue gills all the way across until I hit 5 ft of water to catch 2 keeper bluegill in a row, then nothing until the way back and in 10 ft of water I cought non-stop dink bluegills. My friend got a 10 inch largemouth and it was BLACK as coal. I never saw a bass all black like that before.

We decided to leave. It was now 1 pm.

Took a ride to mud bay straight to the marina on the north shore.

On the way saw a deer eating a cedar tree with BOTH paws on the lower wire of a barbed wire fence. Got a picture of it. Slap me for thinking of posting a picture like that here !

I DID NOT walk on the ice. The wind was a straight out 20 mph and the ice LOOKED to be all slush as it was GRAY looking with drifting snow between. Knowing there was minimal ice led me to believe I was looking at SLUSH.

Finally by 2:30 got to guffin. I had no intentions to fish so late in the day so I found the parking with snowmobile shuttle. The fellow that runs it informed me that as of today he is not going to provide this service until the snow settles. He tore up a belt and he is done. The area was pounded by wind all day, and from what the shuttle guy says, there is only slush the first 40 yards, no slush after that, however said a snowmoblie was the only way because of the DRIFTS of snow. Walking I assumed would be out.

Intimaded by a sore back from a accident this past weekend , I decided to cancel the motel room at the duck inn and go home.  :(

Here's the bass :

You know something, some people here might not like this, but too bad ! You aint a sportman if you dont like seeing this :

(Besides, the pictures are on MY paid for server space.)

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Went NORTH today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:35 PM »
very nice pictures the picture of the deer is awesome

Offline Rack-n-Reel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Whitetail pics are welcome any time or any place! Thxs for sharing!!

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Whitetail pics are welcome any time or any place! Thxs for sharing!!

COUGH grumble ahem.....  Some people are just you know the... ummm   oscar meyer variety. yeah.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=181019.0

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I know I have had a few days like that so far this year. Days that seem like your never going to get where you wanna go.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:29 AM »
neat pic of the deer!!! hope tomorrow brings you more fish and a better back...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.