The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout mentored youth days  (Read 767 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Trout mentored youth days
« on: Apr 11, 2015, 12:57 AM »
I'm glad that the Pa Fish Commission is doing the youth mentored fishing days again this year because it gives the kids a chance to fish without dealing with the crowds of the first day.  The only thing I'd change is to let the kids catch 4 fish instead of the youth catching 2 and the mentor catching 2.  I could care less about catching a fish, what I enjoy is seeing my daughters having fun and catching fish.  Either way I think it's a good thing and hopefully they will keep doing it.

Offline creel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trout mentored youth days
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2015, 05:54 AM »
Catch and release, let them keep fishing
thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others

Offline Mickey73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2015, 06:08 PM »
I say let fish as long as they want just do away with anyone old the age of 11 from fishing on that day.

icewagon

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2015, 03:24 PM »
I say no to any youth mentored days fishing or hunting . It's not how I got started as a sportsman. Its not how I taught my children to hunt and fish and the generations of WAGNER sportsman before me .Its just another case or instant gratification taught to the children of today. Teach them Patience first ! 

Offline chris555

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2015, 04:31 PM »
I agree with the first post. The trouble lies with people who cant read or are just worried they wont get first cast of a implanted trout! The average age of MEN fishing without a youth that i saw on Saturday was 45-50 years of age. Amish kids by the dozens with no mentor. If the fish commission need money they missed out on writing citations, I spoke to many guys that fished different streams and they said it was same way their as well. To sum it up my 4 year old son had a blast and that makes me feel good.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I completely agree that there are some people out there that are so damn hard up to catch a fish they'll all but throw a kid out of the way to get their fish, greed pure and simple.  As I said before I like the mentored fishing day for the simple fact there's far less people and a kid can actually fish and have fun.  I don't agree it's a case of instant gratification being taught to children, if that was the case they would just hand the kids fish and send them on their way, the kid still has to go fishing and catch the fish.  No one forces anyone to participate in these programs and no one says someone has to like or agree with them.  There's a very simple solution if you don't like or agree with, don't go. 

Offline potlicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Well i must live a fairytale life because i took my son [9 yo] and his friend [7 yo] and had a blast. It took 45 min. to get on the fish and put together something that worked and 15 min. for them to get thier limits. All i got to do was bait hooks ,take fish off,mentor and watch them reel em in. The kids had a blast and I felt truely blessed.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Well i must live a fairytale life because i took my son [9 yo] and his friend [7 yo] and had a blast. It took 45 min. to get on the fish and put together something that worked and 15 min. for them to get thier limits. All i got to do was bait hooks ,take fish off,mentor and watch them reel em in. The kids had a blast and I felt truely blessed.

Spending time with kids and seeing them having fun truly is a blessing in my book and should be treasured.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.