The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Lake  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canyon Lake
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:59 PM »
While I haven't been by there since the summer....why isn't there anything mentioned about Canyon Lake?  Does it not freeze over well enough?  Is there any fish in it?

Heck even the SDF&G doesn't have a map on it....what gives?

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
Re: Canyon Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:59 PM »
I've seen holes on canyon lake where it looked like someone was out there but it usually doesn't freeze up very well or for very long if it does.  There are mostly stocked trout from the hatchery up sream and suckers.  I've seen people catch small Pike and caught a little 4" pike fingerling last summer.  With the hatchery closed for renovations, I don't know if they've stocked it this year or not.  But most of the trout I've caught and tried eating from Canyon Lake tasted horrible due to the large number of duck and goose "deposits".  :sick:

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Never tried ice fishing it as I'm not a big pike or trout fan, but I have heard from a couple people who have caught pike well over 10lbs in there. Lots of tasty trout for them to feed on and not a lot of fishing pressure for the pike...
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:22 AM »
The ice isn't thick, but there are some Northern. If you just want to wet a line without ice, drop some worms or power bait near the area where the stream feed it. I caught a 19.5" brown and 17" rainbow there just a few weeks ago. It's a good place to take your kids! I don't care what people say, stocked or not you still need to know how to fish to catch them!

Took this picture there last year in the spring!

Anthony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.