The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: How to prep your power auger for summer storage  (Read 8315 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How to prep your power auger for summer storage
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:28 PM »
I do things a little different with 2 strokes. I get 'em running then add a bunch of extra oil to the mix. Make it smoke like a James Bond smoke screen even to the point of running rough. Choke it till it dies, pull the string until you feel resistance. Done. Not only top end "fogged" but bottom end has been liberally oiled as well. Leave the tank fueled, apply any cosmetic exterior applications and store.

In the late fall, pour the highly oiled gas into your lawn mower/tractor or whatever (thereby diluting the excess oil), refuel with fresh, replace the spark plug and let 'er rip. Worked a charm for 30 years on any 2 cycle: auger, weed whacker, chain saw, outboards... whatever.

EZPZ.

That method of  over dosing the fuel with oil will work to fog the engine. I don’t use that method because you can fowl the spark plug and I have also seen 2 stroke carbs gummed up with excessive amounts of oil causing them not to run. Most of the time the gas evaporated from the carb and then refill and the oil doesn’t evaporate and your left with a mess. The bottom end already has enough protection for short term storage. You could save alot  time by just pulling the plug and giving a quick squid. With the method I use it’s ready to go on the fall just start it up and your good to go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Eskimo say's the reason the grommets dry out and leak is because of storing them empty. They said to store it full of fuel to keep that grommet from drying out.
<===Lefty===

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I didn't mean to run and leave dry.i run fuel out to remove and inspect the lines.
If they show no signs of replacement,  I squirt with a lubricant and reinstall.  If cracked , soft or look bad, replacing with new is easier now then when you want it to work.
I couldn't tell you how many weedwackers,  boat motors and log splitters where the biggest problem was fuel lines that had fuel in them but dry rotted the gaskets and rubber

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:57 PM »
the ethanol in the fuel doesn’t help with the cracking. Seem like too much work to check a fuel like. If it’s coming off a new one is going on. Use a good fuel treatment and if it’s a 2 stroke use quality oil. That will also help extend your fuel line life.  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Ethanol doesn't play well with rubber or vinyl. Most stock fuel lines are vinyl (worst choice). My fuel line replacements are always Tygon and it seems they last almost forever. Because we can't get regular non-e here I also always use a fuel treatment. SeaFoam, Stabil (in their myriad incarnations), Startron etc. All effective but each offers something a bit different from the rest so I like to rotate.

As far as the oil dosing for storage it's a good rule of thumb (an cheap insurance) to replace the spark plug each season so fouling is not an issue. Fuel with a good additive will keep the carb clear of off season gunk.

Just my experiences...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Most of the newer units are safe to run 10% ethanol without any issues. It’s the older stuff that gets eaten up. If you cant get non ethanol fuel you can buy the premixed cans online. Costs a bit more but you don’t use that much per season anyway .vp fuels also sells a small Engine blend of synthetic fuel

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I'd rather pull a hose off to check and lubricate now then to discover its  junk later only doing nothing but adding a stabilizer and hope it good.
Most cases on small engine troubles are discovered  pulling them out of storage .
As you say, prevention.  Why not check and , lubricate hoses and clamps. Its a 5 min deal. If they are good , reinstall.  Most are not so now is the chance to replace

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Lol I guess you still didn’t watch the video. You can check the lines without pulling them off.  Running the fuel system Dry for storage is never a good idea.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Gas line you buy off the shelf does not have fuel in them.  They have a lubricant.
They also have a manafacturs date stamp.
Once you put fuel to them , there is a deterioration process happening. 
I'm not saying you can bring old lines back to life but you can prolong the damage by using an oil base lubricant instead of an agent as gasoline.

Your quite right as to pre ethonl fuel lines.
My 1989 4.3 merc. Had to have all lines replaced to ethonl approved.
As for performance,  I think it matters less when it's a frequently used engine.
$5.00 worth non ethonl won't break me on a gas auger but not necessarily.
By the time you fill the gas can with a gallon,  you most likely got the last users gas anyway. 
I typically use the gasoline I use most in all my equipment and vehicles.  My atv will run through 6-9 gallons of ethonl a season.  My used to be gas auger , about a gallon so it made no since to keep storage fuel. Use it or dump it

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:34 PM »
I have 100s of feet of fuel like on the shelf. And none of it is lubed. They don’t have fuel because they are new....removing the fuel like to spray oil in it isn’t going to do anything other the possible damage from removing it and reinstalling it. As for performance if your engine is built to run on. Non eth it will hinder the performance if you run an ethanol blend. That’s a fact. Ethanol fuel also doesn’t have the shelf life of non ethanol. It also will promote moisture in fuel. If you go to a fuel pump that’s only non ethanol fuel who cares if it’s the “ last users “ fuel

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Your saying new rubber  hoses, belts or tires are not treated , ok.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:56 PM »
I have wa wall full of belts that are not oiled. They would slip. All the fuel lines I have come dry. I normally have to add lube to slip them on. Tires might have a coating from its mold.

Offline erie eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:39 PM »
FT Not sure who taught you that oil drops out of the gas in the c/case, but that is wrong, Your fuel mix coats everything and the rest is go power and out the exhaust, if it did every 2 stroke would seize. The problem with what you are trying to do with your video, ( didn't watch) is what works in your location with gasoline doesn't mean it will work in mine. Ethanol fuel doesnt care if it is burning in old engines or new, it is the storage and handling that makes all the differance, but we are on the same page it is no good for anything that is sporadically used. Some old equipment had fuel lines and carb parts that did not tolerate ethanol, But most of that has had to have been changed by this time.  I have been doing your job since early 70's and went through gasahol that if it drew any moisture it ate through aluminum magnesium fuel tanks in a short time.
 I have been through STIHL'S factory in the US and in Germany and every unit is run at the end of the assy line and then run out of fuel, and I know of units that sat for years and never had a grommet or fuel line rot out in storage. Most of our fuel problems come from the inferior china recipes for rubber parts and ethanol. One of my Customers whose company has the Chinese  make rubber components for them said they will leave out some key ingredients and tell them they saved them some money all the while this is stuff for just in time assy in the USA and it took 3 mos to get here, do you think they are not going to assemble and hope it all doesn't go bad during warranty period or shut down the assy lines 'til they get good material.
 I wish you well in trying to make videos to educate but there are too many variables, and too many experts who have not shot themselves in the foot yet with their fuel and when it happens it will be something other that caused it. AOI will be on here next to tell you that ethanol has nothing to do with running or storage issues. Please don't take this as criticism of your knowledge but as mechanics we can fix the equipment but changing bad habits has to cost our customers money before change will happen for most. We educate on every new sale and then cross our fingers.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Lol your post was pretty funny .you should really learn how a 2 stroke engine works before making a foolish comment. In Engine factories they will use a high quality fully synthetic fuel to test an engine. ( like vp racing fuels ) you can drain that fuel successfully because it’s high quality and extremely longer shelf life. They probably also have a method of flushing the fuel system. They sent just dumping the fuel tank and boxing it . They aren’t using a cheap fuel with 10% ethanol in it . You really have no clue what your talking about and almost every point you made is wrong.
Make sure to study your facts before you bash someone on a post 

Offline erie eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Please cite what manual tells you that the oil drops out of the gas in the crankcase, I never tell anyone of my certificates because they are only paper and most are poorly administered, my 14yr old son was a test taking tech and had all of your equivalents when honda started their system of testing.
Please look at the animation, and read it carefully no where does it say oil is dropped out of the fuel. http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html  If the oil separated where does it accumulate ???  Again your info is only good if everything is followed exactly today, tomorrow our fuel will change or has already and will cause someone problems, The simple answer is store it where it is dry run Stihl Motomix or equivalent if it 4 cycle, squirt some oil in the cylinder and you will have no restart issues that were not already there, all of this info is golden.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:27 PM »

My company also does winterization on boats and shrink wrapping. The main reason why 2 strokes will seize up during storage is because exhaust port leaves the piston and cylinder exposed to the air. And that can bring moisture from the airs humidity into the engine.
.. EXACTLY.. 2 stroke engines should be stored ( when possible).. pickled with the piston  [email protected] close off intake and exhaust ports...

also a fan of wet storage.. been a small engine /marine mechanic for over 40 years... it didn't used to be that way but times force changes..People get away with "things" until one day they don't get away with it anymore..it makes me a lot of money.

FWIW... grease actually breaks down hardened steel ( this is why spring manufacturers advise against greasing leaf springs)..oil is a better choice...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Hey Rocco’s. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about ! So your not going to slather your auger in gear oil and grease. per tunas specs lol.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Never said slather.  Those were your words.
I work for a multi billion dollar company that has lubrication technicians that use the most advanced products in the world.
My 8 million dollar warehouse is filled with thousands of belts , hoses and bearings.  I can tell you. , every single 1 is treated from the manafacturs for storage.
Maybe not in the sense you perceive as oil , but a lubricant and uv protection is applied.if they sit on a shelf untreated they dry rot .

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Hot tunas response to what to protect auger against corrosion-“, wipe them down with a gear oil,  or synthetic grease. 
It's messy yes ”

Looks like your not one of them of them  fancy lubricant techs lol.

And we aren’t when talking about hoses belts bearings or any of your other wearhouse stock. We are talking about small Engine fuel lines. And mine always come dry. Your getting so off , your response has nothing to do with the post.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Lol big surprise another thread with FT has turned into an argument. Someone might be a bit to impressed with themselves.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Tuna always always tries to hi jack all my posts with his nonsense. It’s just what he does. For some reason he feels like he has to change me. You guys always have to be haters. If you post nonsense I’ll call it out. It’s not my fault people post without knowing what they are talking about. You guys are the ones always posting negative comments. I just state facts. Sorry if that crushes your heart

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Tuna always always tries to hi jack all my posts with his nonsense. It’s just what he does. For some reason he feels like he has to change me. You guys always have to be haters. If you post nonsense I’ll call it out. It’s not my fault people post without knowing what they are talking about. You guys are the ones always posting negative comments. I just state facts. Sorry if that crushes your heart

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Lol I love how jealous you guys get. You hate the content But can’t keep your eyes off it ! I’ll take it as a compliment, thanks. You guys are like my groupies. I always know you’ll be a part of my post.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:17 PM »
It's because you are so epic!!!!! Lmao

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:20 PM »
It’s ok. I’ll allow you to be one of our groupies. Maybe I’ll give you a shout out in our next video ! I’ll even give you a free epic upstate sticker for your sled then you’ll feel like part of the crew and won’t feel so left out.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:23 PM »
That would be so epic bro lmao

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:31 PM »

I know you deleted the photo after you posted it but I saved it !

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:33 PM »

I know you deleted the photo after you posted it but I saved it !

Wow someone is a fan saving pics of me lol.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I always save our fan mail out of respect for our viewers!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I don't know that seems like some epic stalker stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.