Author Topic: Milwaukee VS DeWalt  (Read 3575 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Milwaukee VS DeWalt
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Probably the 2 most popular drills on the ice.

Here's a very interesting comparison, with a bunch of good real world tests.  I particularly enjoyed the torture tests.  I had no idea you could run these under water fully submersed.

&t=171s

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Milwaukee VS DeWalt
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Wow, what a test!  I had no idea they would run under water, either.  Guess I don't need to worry about a little snow getting on my drill if it can continue to run when completely submerged!  I have the Dewalt 996 on a 6" Nero bit and love it.  We are now drilling through close to 2' of ice and still no issues.  Have only run the 1st battery out once (5ah), and that was a very busy day of hole hopping through 18" of ice. 

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:42 AM »
I didn't realize they were on the 3rd generation of the Milwaukee drill.  The newer one is shorter, and for some reason the bare tool is less expensive on Amazon than the 2nd generation.  Some are beefing about the new chuck on the 3rd gen.   I've got the 1st generation drill (725in-lb), about five winter years old, still going with the original 4ah batteries, 6" lazer, 2nd gen clam plate with extension.  Love it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:19 AM »
I had no idea you could run these under water fully submersed.

I didn't either but early season I went swimming with my K-drill and Milwaukee Fuel in hand. I threw it back on the ice while treading water and extricated myself. Got home, figured the drill was toast but worked perfect! It wasn't under the water long but I was impressed. No idea they were made to work that way.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:20 AM »
I have a Milwaukee 28V,  this was the 7th season.  I have 3 batteries for it.  only  complaint is one battery seems to charge fully but goes to 3/4 right away,  I get about 80% of the holes out of it vs the other two.  To be expected though,  batteries can be goofy.  That said,  if the drill took a crap today,  I got my money out of it already.  I'd buy the Milwaukee m18 fuel with a 12ah battery.  I personally haven't seen that battery go below 2 bars on a 50 hole day with 24 inches of ice using a 6 inch Nils.  I don't know the warranty of the other drills,  but to spend $250 on a drill and have a 5 year warranty,  I think that is pretty solid. 

I'm not brand loyal, I know many with dewalt etc...I just stay with what I know and feel comfortable with and that's milwaukee. 

BTW,  I feel like the cold affects the battery.  I personally keep the battery i'm using in my pocket when it's 10 degrees or less.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I like knot wars better. ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:49 AM »
In the end it comes down to which you like better, red or yellow go figure.   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Tailgate wars?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:08 PM »
And a really big thing to consider if they are equal. Red has a 5 year warranty on tool 3 on battery, Yellow has a 1 year warranty on both!

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Milwaukee's L ion XC batteries can sit in the cold for days without losing much power.
Tight lines

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:37 AM »
And a really big thing to consider if they are equal. Red has a 5 year warranty on tool 3 on battery, Yellow has a 1 year warranty on both!

That's a good point to know and consider. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2019, 04:30 PM »
But orange has a lifetime guarantee.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:26 PM »
I just bought the Ridgid 5 tool kit that includes the 1300 in. lb. drill and 2 4 amp batteries. I just happen to have an old 8" Mora sitting around!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I just bought the Ridgid 5 tool kit that includes the 1300 in. lb. drill and 2 4 amp batteries. I just happen to have an old 8" Mora sitting around!! ::)

8 inch mora,  good luck with that.  ::)

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2019, 04:22 PM »
I use a 8” mora with my ridgid drill but have a 9ah battery.i get more holes than i care to drill thru 12” of ice.fast too.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Mora augers with a couple mods are awesome. My chipper version, large cut out blade does 32" ice in 17 seconds, lazer version blade slightly slower but works great on drills as it's not quite as agressive.. Chipper similar to K-Drill pic above cut out blades. Also have an offset center point. Replaced drill chuck with direct drive adapter and added the ION quick release to avoid loosing the bit when the chuck loosens. Clam plate also prevents bit loss but more cumbersome. I use a second Mora, cut the flights off and add 1/2 shaft to extend the total auger length than add a 7/8" receiver to attach to drills & gas engine. I find Mora augers at flea markets & garage sales at $10 to $15. Made a few connection adapters shown next to my MudMixer.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2019, 06:42 PM »

If you can’t use a Mora, it’s not the auger.........

Besides, better than a spud or a hatchet.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.