New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Massive Muskie  (Read 18809 times)

Offline jrmPikeFreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing For Life!!!
Re: Massive Muskie
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:16 PM »
the top muskie is a tiger, the bottom is a true muskie. there is a big difference in the colors and markings.

Offline oldman50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Looks like pure Muskie to me pikefreak. Lamoka has some big ones too. That is if you can put up with all the pickeral. I have fished a few Bass tournaments there. Waneta is right next to it and alot of big Muskies come out of there as well. Nice fish!

Offline ADKC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Congrats . thats one nice fish.

Offline daveyg17k

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Thats my dream right there. I really want to take a big fish through the ice just to see what its like. Maybe one day.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:54 PM »
It's a pure bred 'ski.  No tiger stockings exist on Waneta or Lamoka.  They (pure breds) can have slight barred patterns depending on color variation.

Only a matter of time before this thread blows up from a die hard musky hunter seeing this photo.  These fish are to be released without removing them from the water or undo stress while out of season....I.E.  holding it in the gill and taking pictures.

Great fish and catch none the less....

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline Icedog40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:58 PM »
two more words being it was out of season.... DAMN SHAME :'(

Naw man, it would be a DAMN SHAME to kill a fish like that. With the quality of replicas today, I don't believe there is ANY reason to kill a fish for the wall.

The thrill is in the catch, not necessarily in the kill.

Congrats to the lucky fishermen...

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Thats a trophy fish!! Congrats to the fisherman who caught it!!

Offline fireman7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:22 PM »
where is lamoka lake? lucky for me, its literally right across the road from my house!! Ive seen muskie caught out of there around 50'' before but never through the ice.

Offline ConesusPikeCatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Definitely a beautiful fish and congrats on the catch/release and the quality photo....i.e. no massive amounts of blood involved unlike a couple of unmentionable pics from last season.  The photo shows a bunch of very understandably proud fishing buddies, is done cleanly, and makes it much more believable that the fish was immedietly released.  I do without a doubt agree on the replica 100%.  Congrats again!!

You hit it right on the nose man. thanks.

Offline bballs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Glad it went back.  Monsters like that are so rare, just the fact that it went back makes me fell better about my chances of ever catching noe.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:28 PM »
ware is the pic?
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Grumpy2 is absolutely right here. It's a great fish, but even taking it out of the water and snapping a pic is a violation of the regs. as any fish caught out of season must be immediately returned to the water (ie. no pics). Not taking away from the great catch and the fact that this is wonderful fish, or that what was done here is nothing compared to what happened last year, but the regs are the regs, and if it was me or i was with friends that caught it, then it wouldn't have been taken out for a picture, and certainly wouldn't end up on the web (as this is a major reason the guys last year were found/busted).

Offline Icedog40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:14 PM »
^^^Lighten up man. If you ain't EnCon, then let it be. That was a lifetime fish, I'd be damned if I ain't gonna snap a pic. Apparently, they felt the same.

Plenty of slobs out there would have taken that fish, and we would be none the wiser.

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:24 PM »
That was a lifetime fish, I'd be damned if I ain't gonna snap a pic.

+1 to That ... make it quick and send it on it's way  ;)
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:09 PM »
+2... pin a rose on you for not allowing a pic, if that was me and a friend of mine tried stopping me from snapping one they wouldn't be my friend anymore... that's rediculous mr. dec.

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:22 PM »
3 had to have a pic to show of that fish for you and to gradafy that fish
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:20 PM »
What a monster, whatever it is
He'll be back

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Might be out of season ,but a picture is worth a thousand words.NICE FISH
[img]

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Nice fish and good release.
The theory of leaving it in the water is ridiculous, most of us would have to take it out of the water to identify it and remove the hooks. Try doing that through a 6" hole with a thirty pound,thrashing fish. Good luck.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Def a muskie (not a tiger).  Nice fish!!    :o  @)

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:31 PM »
^^^Lighten up man. If you ain't EnCon, then let it be. That was a lifetime fish, I'd be damned if I ain't gonna snap a pic. Apparently, they felt the same.

Plenty of slobs out there would have taken that fish, and we would be none the wiser.

Maybe IceDog thought it was HUGE northern pike and just needed to get a better look at it.. And while doing so his friends snaped a pic...  IceDog That's one fine fish. I hope you did a shot or two.

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Nothing wrong with your buddy snapping some pics while you are removing the hooks (gawd knows i'd be screaming at my buddy to get all that he could if i got one) but holding it up for the 'trophy pic' is indeed not immediate release.  

You can get pics during a catch and release only season, but this is a closed season for a reason. I do agree that in some cases those extra few seconds won't make a difference, but there is no way to know which is which...may swim off ok yet be belly up under the ice later, no way to know  :'(.  

Another reason for immediate release/no pics is to discourage those who hope to catch them 'by accident' (aka secretly targeting them) while using inappropriate gear that could ultimately harm the fish. No way to know who is truly catching by accident and who is secretly breaking the law, so no pics for one and all.

Fantastic fish though! Happy to hear it swam off.    

Offline ConesusPikeCatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Grumpy2 is absolutely right here. It's a great fish, but even taking it out of the water and snapping a pic is a violation of the regs. as any fish caught out of season must be immediately returned to the water (ie. no pics). Not taking away from the great catch and the fact that this is wonderful fish, or that what was done here is nothing compared to what happened last year, but the regs are the regs, and if it was me or i was with friends that caught it, then it wouldn't have been taken out for a picture, and certainly wouldn't end up on the web (as this is a major reason the guys last year were found/busted).

You think myself or my buddy who caught it could help if it got on the web or not? The person who caught this fish wouldnt have had any idea this pic was on internet if i didnt have an account. Who knows what would have been said if i didnt come on here with what happened from the start. This was posted by a random person. And in regards to that, i dont think anyone needs to post pics of other peoples fish OR get on here and tell everyone what they saw other random people catch. If they want to share a picture or get an account and give a report more power to them. Just about everyone who ice fishes has heard of the site and if they wanted to share there fishing with the world they would do so. Sorry this has always aggravated me.

When the fish got to the hole all we could tell was that it was huge. We took the fish out of the hole because it was the best thing to do to get the hook out. Because we knew the fish was so damn big our buddy was ready with the camera before the fish was even out of the water. It couldnt have been a more healthy catch and release. The fish took off like a bat out of hell into deep water she didnt act all funny and dazed and stay near the bottom of the ice. She was revived for a couple secs and took off on her own power. 

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:25 PM »
i got a pic of this fish from a buddy on the cell at lunch today and it said "54 inch outta conesus" hahahahahaha!! thats a great fish man. how many of you people talkin smack can say they even had an oppurtunity to put a fish like that back, let alone hook into one THROUGH THE ICE, Ive seen you musky fisherman in the warm sun doing your figure 8's, whats it to cold for ya?! great fish to who ever caught that, im sure that monster survived.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:03 AM »
wow monster fish that would forsure go on the wall ive got a few in open water bout that size but that thru the ice is awsome
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:04 AM »
nice one. they get much bigger though come up to the old st. laurent

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:06 AM »
the top muskie is a tiger, the bottom is a true muskie. there is a big difference in the colors and markings.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
\

well its hard to say because the top fish is still small and still has its juvenile markings

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:10 AM »
My buddy just cought a 31.8 # Muskie sat. up here on the St.Lawrence river I will try to get the pic and post it later ... same thing true musky not a tiger.... Great catch Guys...

lol he's my cousin.

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:29 AM »
well its hard to say because the top fish is still small and still has its juvenile markings

That top fish is def a tiger .those aren't juvenile markings...and it came from conesus. They don't have pures  ;)

Not so much the color as was mentioned earlier. that can vary by body of water etc but the distinctly alternating rows of dots and bars is a giveaway.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:04 AM »

bull crap you wouldn't have taken a pic.  anyone that says they would not take an extra 10 seconds for a pic is full of bologna.  "regs are the regs" my ass.  catch a fish like that then tell me you didn't take it out of the water for a quick pic, whatever!!!!  oh wait, i'm sure you have caught one like that but you didn't take a pic so all you have is your BS story that you did catch one :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.