Author Topic: Handheld Sonar  (Read 3301 times)

Mizayikaa

Handheld Sonar
« on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:40 AM »
A few years back I went fishing with a guy who had A Marcum handheld depth finder. I liked it so I purchased A Vexilar. Mine worked great for about two seasons then it would no longer read through the ice and only through water. After another season it wouldn't read at all. I called the guy with the Marcum to see how his was holding up and he said it never failed him for two or three years until he dropped it in the lake. I am wanting to replace it but not sure which route to go. Any first hand knowledge of these would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Handheld Sonar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I think I know the device you're talking about, my buddy had one at some point. Pour a little water on the ice and it would read the depth.

What model vexilar do/did you have? Was it a flasher or a device similar to your buddy's marcum?

If it's a flasher, that application isn't really where those devices shine. They're better suited for seeing bottom structure and marking fish.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Wet helps. Also gotta have pretty flat ice. Transducer must be in full contact to both send and receive. Another thing that can be a factor is power. I've got a similar unit and had trouble. Called the company and they recommended lithium batteries. AAs don't carry a lot of power and cold can affect them pretty quickly. I bit the bullet and bought an 8 pack of Energizer lithium AA. Made a world of difference! Better readings, seem to last longer, better in the cold, don't leak down in the off season. All plusses. So much so I've powered all my field handhelds with them: GPS, camera, trail cams, headlamps... All perform better with lithium.

If you decide to go shop take a deep breath and prepare to say, "They cost how much?!" It's an investment in performance but it's still a stretch for what is an expendable item.

Long ago I previously used a regular flasher to shoot through the ice, and they will. Follow the same wet, flat advice and don't expect through the water detail. Bottom readings are very accurate though.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline GenaVorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:32 AM »
A few years back I went fishing with a guy who had A Marcum handheld depth finder. I liked it so I purchased A Vexilar. Mine worked great for about two seasons then it would no longer read through the ice and only through water. After another season it wouldn't read at all. I called the guy with the Marcum to see how his was holding up and he said it never failed him for two or three years until he dropped it in the lake. I am wanting to replace it but not sure which route to go. Any first hand knowledge of these would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I had a similar problem with same sequence :) I bought from the friend Marcum handheld use it few times and sold it . Marcum was working flawlessly . Then I decided that I made a mistake . Read more review and Bought Vexilar .That thing work 3 outing and stoped reading .... Good thing that I still had time to return it ...

Mizayikaa

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:36 AM »
  I had a similar problem with same sequence :) I bought from the friend Marcum handheld use it few times and sold it . Marcum was working flawlessly . Then I decided that I made a mistake . Read more review and Bought Vexilar .That thing work 3 outing and stoped reading .... Good thing that I still had time to return it ...

Looks like there may be a pattern developing. That is why I ask on here. Trust you guys more than Amazon reviews.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I had either the Marcum or a Polar many years ago..took some wacky expensive battery..stoped working after a couple outings retailer took it back and exchanged for the Vexilar.  Still works but don't use it much as I have the Vexilar DD-100 installed on my unit now.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:08 PM »
That's interesting. My cheapie Hawkeye still works and I'm at least 10 seasons into it. Really all these are good for is depth checking. Mine says it will "mark" fish but I've not found that ti be the case. If you keep your expectations really low they're not too bad. At least mine has not been.

Additionally I'd never buy anything that had a proprietary battery that wasn't rechargeable. Even then you can get AA/AAAs anywhere if you get stuck. To those that still have units give the Li batteries a chance. made a huge difference for me.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Looks like there may be a pattern developing. That is why I ask on here. Trust you guys more than Amazon reviews.
Absolutely correct on “trust guys on IS” more than amazon. Most over at the rainforest site have a collective IQ barely above room temperature....
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:04 PM »
I take the little Marcum LX-i handheld unit out every time, even when I leave the Vex or the LX-7 at home. I actually sort of dislike electronics as a fishing tool since I'm almost exclusively a deadstick guy and don't need to be watching a screen. But the little Marcum helps me find my depths and a rough feel for the bottom contours before I unstrap the auger and go to work. You'll need a little water to ensure good contact, though I did read that some guys use a propane torch to create a tiny puddle to stick the unit on. Wretched excess in my view. The battery is no big deal. I get new one for $8-9 bucks and it lasts all season and longer. Thus endeth today's sermon.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Mizayikaa

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I also took mine every time. It become one of my favorite tools. It has saved me from drilling countless unnecessary holes. I am bummed it quit working and plan to replace it. I just want to do research to see if I should get the same one or go another route. Thanks everybody for your input.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:31 PM »
I also took mine every time. It become one of my favorite tools. It has saved me from drilling countless unnecessary holes. I am bummed it quit working and plan to replace it. I just want to do research to see if I should get the same one or go another route. Thanks everybody for your input.

What kind of flasher do you have ..that DD-100 is an awesome add on for Vexilars.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:37 PM »
I bought a strike master polar-vision many years ago I was too cheap to buy a flasher. :P   Total waste of money for me even using AA Lithiums it wouldn't last but 4 hrs in the cold.

I now use my LX-5 to read depth thru the ice it works great don't even need to bend over just pour some water and let the transducer hang down about 3.5 ft and read thru the ice. It sees perch schools right thru the ice.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Mizayikaa

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:47 PM »
What kind of flasher do you have ..that DD-100 is an awesome add on for Vexilars.
I have a Hummingbird 55. I actually don't know if it will read through the ice. Never tried because I always had my little handheld with me. I will find out soon though. Either way I would still prefer something pocket sized for walking/4wheeling around searching for spots to try.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I have a Hummingbird 55. I actually don't know if it will read through the ice. Never tried because I always had my little handheld with me. I will find out soon though. Either way I would still prefer something pocket sized for walking/4wheeling around searching for spots to try.

It will read through black ice just fine ..some folks add a lil water to the not so black ice ..and place the transducer atop that..may have to adjust the gain higher but should read .

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I use the Marcum LXi all the time before drilling holes and I haven't had any problems with it. Lithium battery seems to last a couple of seasons.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:08 PM »
I use the Marcum LXi all the time before drilling holes and I haven't had any problems with it. Lithium battery seems to last a couple of seasons.
How many seasons have you had the Marcum?

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:17 PM »
How many seasons have you had the Marcum?
I've probably been using one for 8 years. However, I did drop my first one pretty hard on the ice and it cracked so I had to buy a new one. Maybe my third year on this one.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:58 AM »
I have a Marcum LXi and love it. I've had it for at least 10 years and it has been great for my purpose. It does use a battery which is a little more money, I suppose that's a negative.

I use it when spearing shooting through the ice, It has always been accurate. After the ice gets thicker I bore a hole and stick it in the water.

I have no experience with any new ones, not sure if they changed anything.

WS

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Love the Lxi!

Mizayikaa

« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Thanks everyone. It's looking Like Marcum will be getting my business this round. I am a little nervous of the Hawkeye but if anyone on here has first hand knowledge I would appreciate hearing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.