Author Topic: My 2nd dakota lithium problem!  (Read 12864 times)

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • CEO Energized Outdoors LLC
Re: My 2nd dakota lithium problem!
« Reply #90 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:54 PM »
For the posts above. The charger does not shut off when it thinks it is charged, the charger they use will continue to put a charge on the battery till the BMS says it is charged. I am guessing the BMS had more of an issue to this problem than the charger.
Thank you all for your support! - Energized Outdoors

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #91 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:01 PM »
For the posts above. The charger does not shut off when it thinks it is charged, the charger they use will continue to put a charge on the battery till the BMS says it is charged. I am guessing the BMS had more of an issue to this problem than the charger.
thats what i dont get tho.i got this battery 10 months ago,put 1 initial charge on it then.it sat on a shelf that long and had no signs of failure or blue crap.a few fishing trips with no charging involved because it was still at 13.2.then i was going to top it off and seen that.think the initial charge did it and it showed up after using it?

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #92 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Sure glad to read Dakota stepped up and taking care of this Doc (as in my opinion they certainly should’ve)

After reading Matthew from Energizeds post, and didn’t you mentioned Doc theze Lithiums are Radioactive, not sure but man that’s nothing to fool with. If manufacturer Certifications possibly help ensure a safe and stable product, myself I in no way would take a chance for savings of a few bucks
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline mattymn80

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • CEO Energized Outdoors LLC
« Reply #93 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:38 AM »
They are considered dangerous goods due to lithium laws (Thanks Lipo =/). But LiFePO4 are some of the least dangerous batteries on the market, 100% recyclable and do not contain any rare earth metals.

Even though LiFePO4 cells can hold a charge for a very long period of time, it is always wise to put a charge onto a battery at least every 90 days or sooner. They are not like Lipo (used in  Marcum Shuttle, Norsk -Scam, drill batteries, etc) which require to be stored in cool temps, 79% charged and should be charged every 30 days min. LiFePO4 are some of the most forgiving battery technologies available today. This is why they come at a higher cost but overall, price per charge better than any battery technology available today.

Thank you all for your support! - Energized Outdoors

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #94 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:34 AM »
so im chatting  with Dakota to figure  out this problem and they came up with something that makes sense to me.ok when I bring it in from the cold into my warm house it gets condensation on top of the battery.even tho I wipe it off each time the transducer cup might drip water on the top running across the two terminals creating electroloysis creating that blue powder on the water.we will see they will be testing in the cold replicating the use  of a vex and other tests.all in all this is the good customer service like I got the first time with Dakota lithium.proves you can talk to a "wrong" guy at any company..but Mark at Dakota is top notch in communication/cs.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #95 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:01 PM »
would happen with any battery, not just theirs if that were the case. do you see the residue on your stock battery?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #96 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:04 PM »
would happen with any battery, not just theirs if that were the case. do you see the residue on your stock battery?
no lol.but i think the stock battery is sealed bettery at the terminals.maybe water got inside?i should know when they get my ild battery and put it through test and pull it apart.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #97 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:07 PM »
pretty sure theirs is gassing, but they are not sure why or won't say why. matt explained it to us that they are not certified, but they won't tell you that either. if your still chatting ask them about these things if you would.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #98 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:09 PM »
pretty sure theirs is gassing, but they are not sure why or won't say why. matt explained it to us that they are not certified, but they won't tell you that either. if your still chatting ask them about these things if you would.
they will let me know after testing and taking the battery apart.very cooperative now.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:13 PM »
that's cool.
maybe someone higher up decided it's not worth the risk to have a liability on the streets knowing that it is just that. they do need to figure it out so it doesn't happen again.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #100 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:17 PM »
that's cool.
maybe someone higher up decided it's not worth the risk to have a liability on the streets knowing that it is just that. they do need to figure it out so it doesn't happen again.
right,im working with the development manager now not just a cs guy.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #101 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:33 PM »
have they asked if you allow it to warm up before charging and does their charger allow it to charge if the battery is to cold?
i always wait a few hours or more before charging.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #102 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:36 PM »
have they asked if you allow it to warm up before charging and does their charger allow it to charge if the battery is to cold?
i always wait a few hours or more before charging.
I never charge a cold battery of any kind.room temp only..i already know that answer to that question.yeah they asked about humidity,temp,charging and if I ran anything else  with it..they  are just as eager to find out what happened as I am.hes putting it thru the cold and simulating amp draw like a vexilar would.putting it in condensation tests and will disassemble to look inside of it and  will get back to me with the results.ive been chatting a couple times a day for the last 2 days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.