Author Topic: My 2nd dakota lithium problem!  (Read 12863 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
My 2nd dakota lithium problem!
« on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:59 AM »
So last year i had to send my dakota lithium back due to a little blue corrosion,well i went to charge my vexilar after last Saturdays outing and i find this.looks like the same corrosion and looks to me like dangerous gas came out of it by the pattern..im done and not paying to ship it back again.either replace or my money back.keep in mind this was a brand new replacement that sat idle and was used 3 times this season.nobody else have this happen?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: My 2nd dakota lithium problem!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Mine is under a cover on my ultra pack can’t see it but have had no problems running it

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:31 PM »
No problems here either as far as voltage and charging but its out of here.was good the first 2 times then this mess in my propack.contacting ukko again..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:58 PM »
you sure have some kind of luck!

some major gas fuming for sure. looks like the bms is not taking care of things correctly at all. weird seeing the dried puddles on top. it would have to do that while charging. did you notice any smell while charging it? using their charger?
let them pay return shipping if they want it back.

i remember yours doing this last season so i went with energized outdoors and theirs is cheaper priced. mine sat all summer and fall and part of winter before i got it out to get it ready for this season on ice and it was bad and they took care of everything and offered to upgrade the size for free for the inconvenience. you might want to switch brands unless you think three times a charm.
seems to be only be these two companies to shop.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Man that is not good at all, I'm on the 2nd season on the dakota and purchased an energized this season. So far both have been fantastic. Being the 2nd time having issues I would hope they would pay the return shipping and make it right for you. Cant hurt to send them a harsh email to see what they'll do. Good luck
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:13 PM »
you sure have some kind of luck!

some major gas fuming for sure. looks like the bms is not taking care of things correctly at all. weird seeing the dried puddles on top. it would have to do that while charging. did you notice any smell while charging it? using their charger?
let them pay return shipping if they want it back.

i remember yours doing this last season so i went with energized outdoors and theirs is cheaper priced. mine sat all summer and fall and part of winter before i got it out to get it ready for this season on ice and it was bad and they took care of everything and offered to upgrade the size for free for the inconvenience. you might want to switch brands unless you think three times a charm.
seems to be only be these two companies to shop.
I charged it when I got the replacement back in march after ice season was  over. I put it on the Dakota lithium charger and it sat on a shelf until I installed it in my vex then went fishing a few weeks ago.still read 13.4 volts so I didn't charge it and went fishing again.when I went to charge it today it looked like that.definetly had gasses leaking out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Man that is not good at all, I'm on the 2nd season on the dakota and purchased an energized this season. So far both have been fantastic. Being the 2nd time having issues I would hope they would pay the return shipping and make it right for you. Cant hurt to send them a harsh email to see what they'll do. Good luck
email sent.i only got to use this a few times recently just like the other battery.i fish in a heated shack and its in a propack with soft bag.brought in every trip to warm up.im pretty much done with the lithiums.i can save a few pounds in my gear by making my lunch smaller.haha

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:21 PM »
I would not trust that mfg in my house, car or shanty. Have you guys seen those things off-gas when theres an issue? Would not want to be around when that thing starts spitting- especially with these being so large
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:24 PM »
it was not like that when I went fishing in the morning.unsure if it was doing it while fishing or overnight when I went to charge it.this battery has been charged one time last march when I got it for a replacement Dakota that had the same stuff on it but this one is much worse.taking it out and putting it outside right now.with gloves on!lithium yummy!!wth

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:30 PM »
I would not trust that mfg in my house, car or shanty. Have you guys seen those things off-gas when theres an issue? Would not want to be around when that thing starts spitting- especially with these being so large
i have not. do you think a plastic ammo box would contain it or should it be in a steel ammo box?
i use a tiny plastic harbor freight ammo box for a light box with the eo battery.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:38 PM »
When those batteries "light up" it can be pretty catastrophic and a wimpy plastic box will only increase the fuel source and burn hotter.   At the very least I would use a metal ammo can and probably store them outside of living quarters. 

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:38 PM »
i have not. do you think a plastic ammo box would contain it or should it be in a steel ammo box?
i use a tiny plastic harbor freight ammo box for a light box with the eo battery.

Examples-

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Nice videos.

Do a bit of reading on them and you'll find that piss poor quality control of how they are built without adhering to basic safety standards,  poor insulation, poor wiring and placing of wiring with pinch points.   Take a look where a lot of them are made, I don't buy their garbage.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Nice videos.

Do a bit of reading on them and you'll find that piss poor quality control of how they are built without adhering to basic safety standards,  poor insulation, poor wiring and placing of wiring with pinch points.   Take a look where a lot of them are made, I don't buy their garbage.

I get worried about keeping a loose 18650 in my bibs.... and thats a firecracker compared to this stick o dynamite  :whistle:
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:59 PM »
so you guys saying this thing was puffing out gasses?i run it in a vexilar flx28.barely any amp draw.i don't get it..im asking for my money back.im not thinking 3rd times a charm and I have sla batteries laying around.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:06 PM »
that's why i think it happened when you charge it. the charger is forcing amps down it's throat and the bms is supposed to take care of the rest. the only discharge is at the connection points which means internal pressure had to push it out from those areas. the positive connector should have vents on the cells.

thanks for the vids!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:14 PM »
chatting with Dakota now..they are asking how I stored it.its been in their shipping box since last march.at room temp about 67 degrees summer and winter.it was not looking like that in march when I charged it.it only has 1 charge cycle on it and when I put it in my vex it was still new looking.im not going to hook the charger to it now.it still reads 13.2 volts on my vexilar gauge.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:39 PM »
so far Dakota  lithium is  talking humidity as the problem..hmmmm

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:53 PM »

Wonder how much humidity that battery would find in the bottom of an outdoor privy?????? >:(
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:31 PM »
weaseling out i see.
last i knew it was a sealed unit.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:43 PM »
weaseling out i see.
last i knew it was a sealed unit.
still talking with dakota.kind of feels like pointing the finger at me and the way i took care of it.wth its a brand new battery with 1 charge cycle.lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:57 PM »
also, it is dead of winter and the humidity is 75%, but it should not matter being a sealed unit.
two in a row is some kind of luck tho.
they should know it goes indoors to charge and then outdoors to use. i don't see anyone else having a humidity issue and it should be near the same humidity for our area anyways no matter the season.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Hey Dr.Speckler what year did you get your battery? I own 2, both bought 2 years apart (2016 and 2018) and it looks like they changed their battery spades. Mine look different from yours.

I'm wondering if they went to a cheaper supplier. both my batteries were bought from clean republic https://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:59 AM »
im getting aggravated now.speaking with another guy from Dakota and says if its holding charge its exceptable.no its not!im demanding my money back or another battery and im not shipping this pos back on my dime again 27$ to ship x2 plus original shipping isn't chump change!!im getting insulted by the way they are treating me like im dumb..

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:57 AM »
So tell them it’s not holding a charge anymore.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:10 PM »
well I got the shaft.first battery was purchased December 20 2017,failed and I got a replacement march 17 2018.a new warranty doesn't transfer or start over with the second battery.so I was told there was nothing they could do because it was not under warranty anymore.i told them that's a pretty chicken shat loophole move and have fun scamming people like that..hope you guys have good luck with Dakota lithiums..their cs sucks!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:21 PM »
well I got the shaft.first battery was purchased December 20 2017,failed and I got a replacement march 17 2018.a new warranty doesn't transfer or start over with the second battery.so I was told there was nothing they could do because it was not under warranty anymore.i told them that's a pretty chicken shat loophole move and have fun scamming people like that..hope you guys have good luck with Dakota lithiums..their cs sucks!

Sad customer service to say the least, I had thoughts of buying one of them, not happening now. Somehow they remind me of another company that starts with M and makes fish finders.  Have to keep sending them back for fix its and updates.   I guess I'll stick to the old method of SLA gell cells. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:24 PM »
im running sla batteries again now too.unacceptable the way I was  treated as dumb and neglected that battery..

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Sorry about your bad luck with your batteries and that company. Hope they realize what poor customer service now can do to a company down the road later.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Hey Dr.Speckler what year did you get your battery? I own 2, both bought 2 years apart (2016 and 2018) and it looks like they changed their battery spades. Mine look different from yours.

I'm wondering if they went to a cheaper supplier. both my batteries were bought from clean republic https://www.electric-bike-kit.com/12v-lithium-lifepo4-replacement.aspx.
i got my first one in 2017 from the same place.and those spade connectors are different than mine.but I guess it doesn't matter now because they said the warranty stays with the first battery not renewed with the 2nd one that I got almost 3 months later and would still be  under the 1 year warranty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.