Author Topic: Mini Nero auger first impressions  (Read 12302 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mini Nero auger first impressions
« Reply #90 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I bit the bullet and ordered the 7 inch. Hope it works well. Going on my milwuakee drill. Should cut thru like butter
I am sure it will.
<===Lefty===

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:34 PM »
For those of you running a Ridgid Octane with this what do you have your settings at? I’ve read different things, I know you want the slower speed but I’m wondering about the others

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:37 PM »
For those of you running a Ridgid Octane with this what do you have your settings at? I’ve read different things, I know you want the slower speed but I’m wondering about the others
Can only run them on setting one.
<===Lefty===

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Dec 27, 2018, 03:38 PM »

I don't have a ridgid but you want the Drill setting (not hammer), and the slowest speed.  I believe the clutch doesn't factor in with the drill setting.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Call me crazy but I think I have an idea for a safety in case the auger gets loose from the chuck....opinions? I’m pretty sure the stringer could hold it long enough, plus it’s loose and has the washer to help support

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #95 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:53 PM »
mistertwister, That's OK; if it dosen't bind, somehoe, when drilling.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:09 PM »
mistertwister, That's OK; if it dosen't bind, somehoe, when drilling.

It’s kind of a “rough draft” it’s a silicone washer on there that I had laying around I’d replace that with a metal one and probably epoxy it to the top

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I have been having rust issues on my 7" blades, other than that I love the auger. These are from the thread in the gear section.

I had PMed lefty about the rust, pictured are my blades from a 7". New this season, Ive only used it ~8 times. The rust appeared after the first or second time using it, basically overnight.. I love the auger but this rust has me worried, I oil it with WD40 every night now (prob switch to something else soon) and the rust doesnt seem to be growing. Im sure if I skipped a day it would get worse. I have two additional sets purchased for when these eventually crap out. Like I said, love the auger, but felt like this should be out there. I know its just surface rust, but surface rust on a blade edge is trouble. I dont abuse my gear so this bummed me out.

Note the corner on this one, has me worried.

Left it in my car for about 16 hours before I could oil and the blades developed a good amount of additional surface rust.... the snow wasnt even thawed off the auger yet. damn..

Ran out to the car to show the small additional rust that "grew" in under 16hours, in freezing temps. This is after a rub down with WD40 so its not as bad as it was before

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I would like to add that no one else in the other thread has shared this experience. I wonder if my blades came from a bad batch or they were made by a different mfg. I find it impossible to believe that I did something wrong or abused my auger. I may contact HT and see if they can make sense of it. If everyone had this experience I would not be recommending this auger to anyone. However that is not the case. Anyone else having this experience?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #99 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:42 PM »
no rust yet but I did notice a  small chip in one my blades.doesnt effect cutting and it cuts so good just hand cranking im not putting it on my octane.it cuts so easy by hand!

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:46 PM »
no rust yet but I did notice a  small chip in one my blades.doesnt effect cutting and it cuts so good just hand cranking im not putting it on my octane.it cuts so easy by hand!

Do you do anything preventative? rag dry? oil?

I agree, my auger will cut through 10 inches in 15 seconds by hand, its crazy impressive.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #101 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I dry off blades and cover then a little veg oil.they look brand new after about 60 holes except a small chip in a blade..veg oil is better for the environment then gun or any other oil.jmo

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:56 PM »

I noticed with mine how good it cuts by hand, 7” blade was way easier than my 6” mora, the drill just takes it to a whole different level

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Haven't seen any rust on mine and it still cuts like new. Bear in mind that these blades are made of high carbon steel and as such will rust, unlike the softer stainless steels. As with high carbon Japanese knife steel and German tool steel, rust is not to be considered as a defect, but merely a characteristic of those specific alloys. I have high confidence that the Russian metallurgists who developed this steel were looking for hardness and abrasion resistance and were willing to accept cosmetic rust in the trade-off. WD40 or other rust inhibiting coating should keep them shiny.

PS-- take a little 00 steel wool or some emery cloth to clean them up and then oil to protect.

PPS-- I use a 7" Nero hooked to a Ridgid Octane through a Kovac adaptor and my decades long auger quest is over. Blew through over a grand worth of augers to learn the lesson.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #104 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Well these are after 8 trips this year. AS you can see one little spot of slight surface rust. Not oiling them and not drying them off.

<===Lefty===

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:25 PM »

PS-- take a little 00 steel wool or some emery cloth to clean them up and then oil to protect.

Wont micro abrasions of the surface actual encourage surface rust? It would have to be polished again to maintain?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Wont micro abrasions of the surface actual encourage surface rust? It would have to be polished again to maintain?
Polishing just gives you micro micro abrasions. That's just for the cosmetic effect if you find the rust unsightly. In any case, polished or not, you need to keep away moisture and air to prevent oxidation (rust) from forming. Oils or light grease can do that job.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I'll have to check my blades out for rust. I've just been throwing it in the back of the 4Runner. I might have to give it a shot of "Water Displacement, 40th formula" (WD-40) after I use it. The replacement blades are so cheap it doesn't really matter though.
Sucker still cuts nice!

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:11 PM »
 This is my second season with the Nero and it has seen the ice at least 75 times or more. I ice fish almost every day of the week. The blades have some surface rust and a few nicks from drilling in bad ice. I never wipe the blades dry and I spray them once a week with some WD40. Performance has never degraded.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.