Author Topic: Mini Nero auger first impressions  (Read 12303 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mini Nero auger first impressions
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I have a spare set for my 6" and I also have 2 spares for my 7". I guess I am a hoarder.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Thanks man, Cabelas doesn't have HT Mini in the name they just call them nero augers so maybe that is why it didn't show up when I was searching last night.
I just typed in Nero Auger Blades to find them.
<===Lefty===

Offline Bacardi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Well finally got out to try the new nero and Ridgid drill setup. Cut about 15 holes on lake Mille lacs 13 inches of ice. Would work better with center point. Have to start it a bit slow the auger flies thru the ice, to fast imo it's definitely not as smooth as my Nils but it definitely gets the job done.  Would have cut more holes but the walleyes where on fire so no need to.

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:45 PM »
I already have the auger, just can't seem to find a spare set of blades without the price jacked up to double what it is supposed to be.
$7.99 at Kittery Trading Post

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/ht-enterprises-mini-nero-telescopic-russian-7-hand-auger-replacement-blade-kit-100018117.html?cgid=0#start=1

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Do I have a defective unit? I used it "manually" the other day... I think its TERRIBLE.

Initial bite in to the ice takes forever... it seems "wobbly" and wont catch the ice.
Once it does catch the ice - it goes through decently - but when its through I cant just PUSH DOWN AND PULL OUT (lol) as it leaves big chunky sharp edges?

**censored** am I doing wrong? Ive been using my lazer for 20 years!

I have not tried it on the drill yet

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:27 AM »
That does not sound like how my Nero works.

I need very little down-force and it cuts like a knife through butter.

Perhaps either dull or bent??
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:29 AM »
That does not sound like how my Nero works.

I need very little down-force and it cuts like a knife through butter.

Perhaps either dull or bent??

not dull... or bent that I can tell? Its brand new... hmmm

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:31 AM »
not dull... or bent that I can tell? Its brand new... hmmm

Maybe it is an issue of the down-force? Very little should be applied. I am not sure what happens is a lot is applied.
Veritas Odium Parit

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:32 AM »
I got my 7" w/adapter etc. yesterday.  Can't really imagine why one would want that side handle for drilling.  It won't do a thing for leverage against the torque of the drill.  Mine's off and am using the included handle with my Milwaukee M18.
Will be getting out soon to test it.

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Just found this video... seems just like he describes...

"a little awkward getting it started"

also look how wobbly the unit looks and how it doesnt grab the ice right off the bat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY-BTADABt8

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:39 AM »

also look how wobbly the unit looks and how it doesnt grab the ice right off the bat...

IMO the starting is not as instant as my Nils, but the cutting of the ice itself is similar but not quite as smooth. Honestly, I have not done many holes with it yet, waithing for Lake Trout season to open up. I bought it because it is easy, small and light and plan to use it to cut smaller holes than my 8 inch to drop the Livescope down for scouting fish.  Once we find them, out comes the Nils.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Used one Sunday.  Loved the handle design.  Would not replace my fin bore with one.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:07 AM »

It looks awkward in his video because he isn't using the offset handle the way it is intended. He is keeping his top hand in one place instead of spinning the auger with it. Off set handles are made so both hands are moving in a circle not just one.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:12 AM »
It looks awkward in his video because he isn't using the offset handle the way it is intended. He is keeping his top hand in one place instead of spinning the auger with it. Off set handles are made so both hands are moving in a circle not just one.

I agree, he is trying to use it like the old Mora I had with the hockey puck handle on top.

It wanted to walk because the actual shaft was being "stirred" at an angle around the hole instead of being held perpendicular as designed.

Great observation! I will keep it in mind for my own Nero.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:19 AM »
hmm.. possibly what im doing

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 18, 2018, 07:21 AM »
At one point in the video he does use both hands and the auger rips. But most of the time no.
<===Lefty===

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:23 AM »

Yup, I remember you making a post about this before. Its not the easiest transition to make (from one inline hand to two offset) The first few holes I have drilled have wobbled and skated, but as I get the motion down it is working better and better. 
Team Comfy Skunks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #77 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:34 AM »
For sure, that is the guy's problem.  Like said, it's not the easiest transition to make for some folks.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Finally got to try out my 7-inch mini auger. 3 days on the ice last weekend I use a Milwaukee M18 I also have a six inch nils. The Nero mini auger is a little violent till you learn how to run it not much of a learning curve cuts really fast. I cut off their handle and made a disc out of quarter inch plywood, and made a PVC blade cover. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Dec 19, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Finally got to try out my 7-inch mini auger. 3 days on the ice last weekend I use a Milwaukee M18 I also have a six inch nils. The Nero mini auger is a little violent till you learn how to run it not much of a learning curve cuts really fast. I cut off their handle and made a disc out of quarter inch plywood, and made a PVC blade cover. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.

You didn't really cut off the handle did you? It unbolts real easy.
<===Lefty===

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2018, 03:34 PM »
You didn't really cut off the handle did you? It unbolts real easy.

Mine was already taken apart when I got it, so he'd have to bolt it on then chop the handle off lol.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:14 PM »
It only takes about 10 seconds to cut it off with a cut off wheel on angle grinder not a big deal guys..

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:59 AM »
It only takes about 10 seconds to cut it off with a cut off wheel on angle grinder not a big deal guys..

But why cut it off when you can just not put it on in the first place?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:18 AM »
the Nero works incredibly well for me! It rips through the ice at a blazing speed. I don't notice any violent finish or catching with mine, but I have a big stature. The trick is getting the auger out. I run it full boar until it breaks through, then it requires a push down and a pull up. It pays to keep the auger straight as possible as well.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:36 AM »
I just bought the 7" after using the 6" for last season and this year early ice. If all goes well I'll be selling my 8" Eskimo propane. I really like the portability of the Nero compared to the Eskimo. Probably the best auger on the market for the price although I haven't tried the Strikemaster lazer. I use the handle adapter provided and haven't any problems.... yet ;)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:57 AM »
So, as just a hand auger, is the 7" do-able in say 12" of ice drilling 20 holes in a day? I don't have or want to buy a hammer drill.

I have a gas auger but use a 5" blue mora auger for early/late ice, and those times when I'm walking a long way out and want to travel light. I'm looking at upgrading that mora, and was thinking about a 6" Lazer, but if the Nero rips through the ice like everyone says, I'd rather have a 7" nero.

Cost is about the same but I like the price on the Nero replacement blades a lot more.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:22 AM »
So, as just a hand auger, is the 7" do-able in say 12" of ice drilling 20 holes in a day? I don't have or want to buy a hammer drill.

I have a gas auger but use a 5" blue mora auger for early/late ice, and those times when I'm walking a long way out and want to travel light. I'm looking at upgrading that mora, and was thinking about a 6" Lazer, but if the Nero rips through the ice like everyone says, I'd rather have a 7" nero.

Cost is about the same but I like the price on the Nero replacement blades a lot more.
If you go to here and scroll down until you see the video on the left of the blades you will see my video I sent them. I hadn't used a hand auger for over 20 years and as you will see I was going threw 12" of ice my first time out with my 7" Nero. Make sure you keep both handle's moving and it goes real easy. I could have drilled 20 holes that way and I'm 66 next month. http://htice.com/mini-nero-telescopic-russian-hand-auger-replacement-blades/#
<===Lefty===

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:42 AM »
If you go to here and scroll down until you see the video on the left of the blades you will see my video I sent them. I hadn't used a hand auger for over 20 years and as you will see I was going threw 12" of ice my first time out with my 7" Nero. Make sure you keep both handle's moving and it goes real easy. I could have drilled 20 holes that way and I'm 66 next month. http://htice.com/mini-nero-telescopic-russian-hand-auger-replacement-blades/#

Wow, thanks. I hadn't seen that video posted anywhere. That looks like it would work.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I bit the bullet and ordered the 7 inch. Hope it works well. Going on my milwuakee drill. Should cut thru like butter
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.