Author Topic: What's the worst ice fishing item you ever bought and the best and why?  (Read 11392 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
The worst:
I will be brutally honest I never fished in my life until I was 26 years old saw some people ice fishing and thought I should try that. I knew nothing ::) I bought a clam house the type you threw the tarp over the plastic base and connected it to the bottom what a pain it blew away several times and finally ripped to shreds boy those pop ups are sure nice now. ;D  The second item would be a Honda lazer auger that thing never ran good and a lot of money. Worked overtime for a month to get it what a let down. it was in the shop more than I used it finally got rid of it.

The best:
The first time I bought a Vexilar Fl8, type and brand does not matter. I dropped my lure down saw it, saw a line come up and wham had a crappie changed my ice fishing life for ever.

Anyway thought it would be fun to see what others have had bad/good luck with while we wait for ice :)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best vexlar 8  hands down allowed me to put more fish top side of the ice.

Worst thing I ever got was the aquaview that piece of junk hardly worked n when it did couldn't tell what direction and couldn't see much on the screen

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Once again, a Vexilar FL8 was my best purchase.  Can't imagine fishing without one now.

Worst has to be the Frabill 371.  Spent more time with tangles than I fished.  No thank you.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The worst. I had my cousin build me a spud out of a piece of a truck leaf spring, and a weight lifting bar. The best. I had my cousin build me a spud out of a piece of a truck leaf spring, and a weight lifting bar.  ;)
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

<°)))>{

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was funny Ice Scratcher, Engagement ring :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: there is a reason they call it a suffer ring. ;D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Best...for a 4th time...Vexilar 8 SLT. Had the extended "arm" to hold the transducer and the unit came on a round base that fit perfectly into a 5 gal. bucket.

Worst...it's a tie...the Side Finder Fishing Buddy and the amount of money I spent on jigs that I never used or use.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Worst item......when I started I bought a huge shack

It was an old green Eskimo lodge suit case tent. It sucked balls putting up. I sold it for $100 and went to my clam flip over voyager.

Best Item was my vexilar flasher.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best: Marcum Showdown 5.6, I used to be out all day to catch 1 or 2 fish before the Showdown now I know if it's even worth spending time in an area. And Im constantly catching.

Worst: Clam fan light combo, Used it once, I forgot to take it down and it fell when putting my fx200 down and shattered. Barely worked before it broke anyways

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best was my old vex fl8 mounted to a blue genz

Worst would have to be buying a 10" Eskimo for my first auger, thinking I needed to be able to pull a Buick through the hole even if I was pan fishing.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst: Eskimo gas auger, it worked fine but I wish I had gone with a clam plate drill setup instead of a gas auger.

Best is my fl8 Genz. I recently got an flx 28 and swapped it over to the genz because I missed using it so much.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Worst item, I’d prob have to the underwater camera. Though I got a great deal on it, it hardly ever comes out of the bag. IF the water was clear enough, it takes time and and a lot of effort to set up to use for fishing, then you have to use it inside or somehow shade all the glare from it.
Best item... tough one. It’s a toss up between my dril/plate/auger combo and my lowrance ice kit (upgraded to panoptix this year  ;D). Without either I wouldn’t be able to fish the way I like, run and gun jigging.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Worst for me was strikemaster gas auger, man that thing would take for ever to start then corkscrew down the hole

Best I'm going to say vex fl20

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst was an FLX28. Maybe I got a lemon but that thing caused nothing but headaches. Froze up regularly, wouldn’t work on soft bottoms regardless of what was recommended and tried. Just a royal pain. Happy, happy day when I dumped that thing.

Best was a few years ago when Shopko was having a Black Friday sale on kitty litter. I snagged 15 pails of it. Square buckets allow you to more efficiently use space in your sled.

Offline Doug SD

• IceShanty Rookie
Worst - showdown troller.  Turns out I am more willing to put up with the bulkiness of the lx9 from hole to hole for the bigger screen and multiple options. 

Best - 8" k drill.  Although my pawn shop Eskimo 9" mako runs and starts like new, the speed and weight difference is unreal.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
The worst was all the cheap hand augers when I first started fishing.
The best has to be my early 1990's strikemaster cobra auger with Tecumseh engine. Still going strong with many thousands of holes drilled and only a recoil,couple plugs and blades to keep it running all the years.
A close second best is my LX 7.
Splaker

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst-that that battery powered jigging rod where you pressed a button and it was supposed to jig for you, what a piece of junk!!!

Best-my first flasher

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best- buying an Arctic Armour suit when it was introduced. Knowing the last personal line of defense breaking through with a float suit has put me a little more at ease on the ice. Still without caution.
Worst is the same suit would not breath and felt clammy cold after a walk dragging gear. Thankful Striker came along with a comfortable suit that replaced it.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
32 I think you just got a bad one. The best is my FLX28 it's also the worst at times. One of the places I fish it shows the fish laying down in the mud bottom. Knowing they are there I spent a lot of time getting them to follow my jig to watch them follow it up and slowly go back down into the mud. I bought a extra one this year.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Worst would be the underwater camera.

Best by far is the Ridgid with the Nero auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Best, was my first flasher ice 45. Changed everything.
Worst, was years ago I bought a cabelas shanty that you needed to add the floor to.
It worked well but I over built it and it was heavy. I dragged that thing around for probably 5 years.
Then The flip overs came out.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Worst was my Clam Classic. Kind of hard to drag through deep snow, and if the wind was blowing 15-25 mph an Octopus on speed would have a tough time getting it set up. Best was my three microlite rods I bought. Even without a spring bobber you can see the action from a wiggler.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best would have to be my first flasher. It was an Ice-35 but any first flasher will do.

Worst would be that stupid clam light/fan combo piece of junk.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best - Clam plate. Makes the morning go so much easier

Worst - the 10 or so cheap skimmers that i have broken over the years trying to widen a 6" hole to get a big pike through. Or, maybe it was buying the 6" auger, which has been benched for an 8"...

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Those hollow ice screws.. The cheap brand. They went into trash after first use.

Best would be my deeper pro+
Sonar/flasher.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Best-  Tied between my LX-7 and milwaukee/nils auger set-up

Worst-  The advanced anglers camera cabelas sold a while back, POS! good thing I bought the warranty on it as they couldnt fix it the 3rd time I took it in so I got my money back
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Worst - Aqua-vu micro was complete garbage

Best - Nils convertible auger

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best:
-Frabill Ice Scoop
-Strikemaster Lazer Mag with old Tecumseh power head
-Snowmobile
-Underwater camera

Worst:
-Mora hand auger.  Don't get me wrong it was so much better than nothing, but I'm not going back.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348255.msg3709121#msg3709121
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Best : nils convertible auger. so fast and light

worst : clam ice anchor install tool, thing snapped second time I used it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Best: Electronics-Navionics and LX-7, makes finding structure and fish easy. Transportation- Wilcraft, extends the season two weeks or more in my area. Unless it snows.  ::) Gear-Tipup lights for night fishing, a flashy light really gets the heart pumping!

Worst: Electronics-underwater camera, actually a best buy for a couple of weeks to study how the fish behave, then it's a closet queen. Gear- Jigs, jigs and more jigs. Thousands, of which I only ever use 4-5. But I do get exercise carrying a 30 pound bag of jigs around "just in case".  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.