Author Topic: School me on Boots  (Read 8766 times)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: School me on Boots
« Reply #60 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:03 AM »
MICKEYS ALL THE WAY BABY
Agreed, bought 1 size larger than shoe size and wear my normal socks and have yet to have cold feet. Best part is I got them on eBay for around $40 several years back....

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:34 AM »
you mean were is says waterproof?

Doh!!!! ;D  I had a pair of Kamiks and the uppers were definitely not waterproof.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Agreed, bought 1 size larger than shoe size and wear my normal socks and have yet to have cold feet. Best part is I got them on eBay for around $40 several years back....

My advice to any newby looking to purchase boots is to stay away from Mickeys, the black ones specifically. I've heard way more people, including me, getting cold feet in them when temps get down to 10 and below..

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:15 PM »
My advice to any newby looking to purchase boots is to stay away from Mickeys, the black ones specifically. I've heard way more people, including me, getting cold feet in them when temps get down to 10 and below..
I've never been able to understand the reviews from people getting cold feet with mickey's.  I'm not saying you're wrong or I don't believe you, I just think it's crazy how people have polar opposite opinions of the same boot.

I've been wearing mickey's for over half my life (first pair at age 12, I'm 28 now) and the only time I've gotten cold feet was when I wore a pair out.  The outside cracked, insulation absorbed water, and froze into an ice block on Lake Winnipeg.  Aside from that one trip, mickey's have kept my feet warm for 16 years.

Last year in Canada 3 full days of sunrise to sunset fishing with an hour long one way snowmobile commute.  The high temperature never got above zero the whole trip and we don't bring portables so you're outside all day.  Over half the group was wearing mickey's and not one person complained of cold feet.

First person experiences like these are why I can't understand it when people say they aren't good for less than 10 degrees.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:22 PM »
For me that's been the Sorel Glacier Extreme boots...huge thick rubber soles, 13mm felt reflective inner boot, etc. Feet never even feel like you're outdoors. People going to the arctic wear them for a reason.

I've always liked my two pairs of Sorels, one pair is close to 30 years old now..

Those new ones look pretty nice, and don't seem too expensive either..

<°)))>{

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Mickey for me. Black or White for ice fishing.

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2017, 01:20 PM »
These...

plus these....

And these

Super light and very warm.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2017, 01:45 PM »
I've never been able to understand the reviews from people getting cold feet with mickey's.  I'm not saying you're wrong or I don't believe you, I just think it's crazy how people have polar opposite opinions of the same boot.

I've been wearing mickey's for over half my life (first pair at age 12, I'm 28 now) and the only time I've gotten cold feet was when I wore a pair out.  The outside cracked, insulation absorbed water, and froze into an ice block on Lake Winnipeg.  Aside from that one trip, mickey's have kept my feet warm for 16 years.

Last year in Canada 3 full days of sunrise to sunset fishing with an hour long one way snowmobile commute.  The high temperature never got above zero the whole trip and we don't bring portables so you're outside all day.  Over half the group was wearing mickey's and not one person complained of cold feet.

First person experiences like these are why I can't understand it when people say they aren't good for less than 10 degrees.

Different strokes for different folks and we all have our opinions. I don't have the same experience you have with Mickeys. Once my feet sweat and socks get wet I freeze in Mickeys. I had a great pair of Sorels back when they were made here I think by Kaufman. They burned up in a fire so I bought a new pair of LaCross Ice Kings, also made here because the Sorels turned over to China manufacturing. As a kid I had a pair of those black rubber over the shoe boots with the funky buckles. They were insulated well and I bought them big enough to go over my best hunting boots. Out on the ice I have a piece of 1 inch fiber board I put in front of my shanty seat to keep my boots off the ice. Some guys feet just never get cold while others like me have to figure out what works best for them. All of the best options have been mentioned here in this thread and a guy new to the hard water gear should have learned a ton of great info on this subject. There is a lot of difference between warm hunting boots and warm ice fishing boots. I can't hunt in my Ice Kings and I can't fish in my hunting boots and stay warm. On the ice you are getting assaulted from above and below so you need good insulation between your feet and the ice.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Ratings of boots is so relative it's not even funny. A boot rated for -110 may work fine for an in-shape 20 year old, but for a 60 year old fat guy with bad circulation that -110 is more like 30.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Ratings of boots is so relative it's not even funny. A boot rated for -110 may work fine for an in-shape 20 year old, but for a 60 year old fat guy with bad circulation that -110 is more like 30.
.  X2

Offline Jmny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Gimlet,   Howvmuch bigger than your normal size do you order ? If any?

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:26 PM »
I'm a kinda fat 40something guy with poor circulation.  :unsure:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:28 PM »

My understanding is that rating is for walking, not sitting still... So a -40 boot is only good for that temp if you're walking..

It would be nice if they had a sportsman rating, for ice fishing, duck hunting and such..

<°)))>{

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:32 PM »
My understanding is that rating is for walking, not sitting still... So a -40 boot is only good for that temp if you're walking..

It would be nice if they had a sportsman rating, for ice fishing, duck hunting and such..

<°)))>{

I get that, but at the least, everybody's pace is different as well. A stand still rating instead of a marketing rating is what's needed.

Offline Banoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:51 PM »
LaCross Ice Kings.   I have had mine for about 10 yrs. and have never been cold or wet once.   Just make sure you get them two sizes bigger that your normal shoe size.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:05 PM »
LaCross Ice Kings.   I have had mine for about 10 yrs. and have never been cold or wet once.   Just make sure you get them two sizes bigger that your normal shoe size.

Have the ice kings changed in the last 20 years? Because they were not waterproof when I started buying them.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:15 PM »
Have the ice kings changed in the last 20 years? Because they were not waterproof when I started buying them.

Excellent question! I don't know that they have changed over the years but where the lower rubber part meets the upper part is where any water can and will get in. The stitching is the culprit between the upper and lower parts. Every year I use Snow Seal and a hair dryer to seal the leather part to the rubber part so no leaks can get in. All the times when I fished if there was 5 inches of slush on top the snow seal made it through the day but the stitching is the weak part on all of these 2 part upper to lower boot styles if you are standing in cold water all day long. Mickeys rule those days if they work for you.

Gam

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Is that upper material waterproof?

Yep, you could stand in foot deep water in them if you wanted to.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I bought a pair of Sorel's today at Scheels, my old pair is 15+ years and the liner is shot. Thought about buying the thermosoles today bit opted to spend the money on new boots. If I do not lile them Scheels will take them back no questions asked. Bought size 11, going to try them tomorrow am.

Had a hard time finding any new liners so figured I would try these

nColor=010" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.sorel.com/mens-glacier-xt-boot-1573891.html?cgid=men-boots&dwvar_1573891_variatio nColor=010

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:18 PM »

Mine are pretty old and I have never gotten my feet wet while wearing them. Even while walking in some swampy terrain while deer hunting.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on Baffin Apex's - can anyone give me some sizing info? No place near me has any I can try on. I wear a 13 Nike sneaker, bounce between 12 and 13 in most other brands. 12 in LL Bean duck boots.

Should I order a size 14 Apex? Plan on wearing a thin sock and heavy smartwools. Only they only have 12's and 14's in-stock.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:43 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on Baffin Apex's - can anyone give me some sizing info? No place near me has any I can try on. I wear a 13 Nike sneaker, bounce between 12 and 13 in most other brands. 12 in LL Bean duck boots.

Should I order a size 14 Apex? Plan on wearing a thin sock and heavy smartwools. Only they only have 12's and 14's in-stock.
Don't know about the boots sizing but I can say your feet will be warmer if you just wear the Smart wool and not put another sock under them.
<===Lefty===

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Good to know - thanks Lefty

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:07 AM »

I would always go for the next size larger, 14 in your case. If too big you can always add an extra sock or a wool/felt insert to take up the extra room. Too tight and you are stuck.

Gam

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Thanks Gam! That's the kinda support my credit card wanted! haha

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Thanks Gam! That's the kinda support my credit card wanted! haha

Yes, absolutely 14s!  I wear a shoe size 9 and bought the Shackletons in 10 and I'm having to stretch them to get them to feel comfortable.  You will love the Apex though.  They feel like slippers inside and they are insanely warm.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I wear the Cabela's Trans Alaskans and they have worked well for me.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Good read on keeping your tootsies warm...wearing a vest can help a lot ...

https://gearjunkie.com/how-to-keep-feet-warm
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Baffin Impact I like them so much I have bought my sons and there sons same boot and we all agree they work just like they say. That's not to say other brands don't work as well, but when I find something that works I stick with it.

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Cabelas trans Alaska can’t beat them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.