Author Topic: School me on Boots  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
School me on Boots
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Hey folks,

I was wondering what many of you experienced fellas would recommend for a pair of winter boots that are good for ice fishing? I know what to look for with hunting boots, but these winter boot insulation and boot types seem more confusing.

I've looked at the Muck Boot Arctics and some Cabelas brand stuff. I fish south(ish) central WI, so it can get cold, but not Sasketchewan or Northwest Territories cold usually. Looking forward to your recommendations.

(I tried the search feature and got overwhelmed with results, mostly of boots not made or that I couldn't find anymore)

Thanks,

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: School me on Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:51 PM »
I've had Baffin for years
I'm 6'4 my feet get cold after 2 hours in cold weather with muck..oh yeah my feet cold!
Got muck arctic for hunting, lighter and less bulky

Baffin hands down win for warmth even the wife wears Baffin ..no complaints! I believe there is better, but i would but another pair if they wore out, going on 6 years. I like them!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:54 PM »
I'm in the "no rubber" camp. My feet sweat and that moisture needs to go somewhere and rubber doesn't do that. So no mickeys, mucks or any other full rubber deal.

My feet have always gotten cold at some point on the ice until last year. I bit on Cabelas Trans Alaska II. For the first time in my life I've toasty toes all day. Had 'em on for a full day in the teens, no shack. Toasty. They look and feel bulky at first, if you're 5'10" like me you stand @ 6'+ with 'em on. They walk surprisingly easy compared to the first impression look/feel. They keep your feet off the ice enough (thick soles) to help keep your toes toasty.

I'm going into my second season so I can't speak to durability but I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies Gents. I will take a look at Baffin's and the Cabelas Trans Alaskans.

I am running a pair of Mickey's right now that I'm quite positive are older than I am. I've never gotten cold in them, but they have no tread left at all and are like a pair of lead ingots are taped to both of my feet. The rubber is also starting to split in several places. Considering I bought a full set of Striker Lake Effect's last year I figured it won't do me much good this year if my feet are frozen.  ;)

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:15 PM »
MICKEYS ALL THE WAY BABY

Offline Beagleboy32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Arctic sport muck boots are what i go with.light weight good tread and always keep my feet warm.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Cabelas trans alasksa or cabelas predator extreme.  Whichever you prefer.  Baffin also makes a quality boot, but I have not worn them.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline drewcifer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Mickey nothing better just not the acton brand
Get the gaff

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I have both the cabelas transalaskens 8yrs and predators 5yrs, and no complaints.  Feet stay warm and dry, no sweaty feet. Go one size larger.
Bob P.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Kamik goliaths or ice breakers , rated for -50 .
any boot you can pull the felt liner out and dry both the liner and the inside of the boot will work great .
I'm leary of the neoprene boots even though they are lite , they just take to long to dry .

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Expensive, but the best all around unless you’re in the NWT or Alaska.  No need for separate cleats.  Work that in to the final cost of your boot setup.  You can find them discounted if you look around.   

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/winter/polar-vortex-1200.html

I own the Tundra Jacks, this boots predecessor.  It’s an awesome boot.  The Tundra Jack can still be had for around $150 depending on your size.  It’s 1200 grams of insulation, so definitely not the warmest available, but I can drive my car with them on my feet.  That’s worth something.  The Cabela’s boots and Baffin's are humungous.  I also own a pair of Baffin Shackletons and they are very nice boots as well, very, very warm and rated to -148F, but they are quite large.  Buy two sizes bigger than your day shoes if you buy Baffin.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Cabela's trans Alaskan here 7 years and counting . No cold or wet feet yet

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Cabelas Predetor Extreme get my vote .

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Another vote for Cabela's Trans Alaskan. Warmest boot that I've ever worn.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Third season on Baffin Expedition boots. Lightweight, waterproof, warm, and comfortable. They are also not full rubber so they breathe and I can stay in them all day at -30

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:26 AM »
X2 on the Korkers.  I also have Muck and Baffin but like the Korkers best.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:43 AM »
For ice fishing I use a different strategy in boots. Several seasons ago I got some Neos Stablicer overboots & continue to use them today. I just wear comfortable shoes & good socks that feel great when driving then slip the overboots on at the lake- no need for adding chains/spikes for traction as their built in, waterproof & insulated. Then just kick ‘em off when leaving and back to lightweight driving shoes for the drive home. I wear size 15’s and the 3XL work great for me, warm & plenty of grip + the cost was right.
https://www.overshoesneos.com
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline MikeFLN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I tend to be frugal with money and I bought these.  They worked very well made in the USA.  No complaints at all

https://chinookfootwear.com/product-detail/badaxe-st.html

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:14 AM »
I have went through the ice and had the predetors had water in them and fish for the rest of day .mickeys are heavy but most ice fishing boots are.mickeys don't breath and have crap for traction but can be had cheap.i don't care for the mucks didn't keep my feet warm.i have heard allot f good about the trans Alaskan but not own one

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Expensive, but the best all around unless you’re in the NWT or Alaska.  No need for separate cleats.  Work that in to the final cost of your boot setup.  You can find them discounted if you look around.   

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/winter/polar-vortex-1200.html

I own the Tundra Jacks, this boots predecessor.  It’s an awesome boot.  The Tundra Jack can still be had for around $150 depending on your size.  It’s 1200 grams of insulation, so definitely not the warmest available, but I can drive my car with them on my feet.  That’s worth something.  The Cabela’s boots and Baffin's are humungous.  I also own a pair of Baffin Shackletons and they are very nice boots as well, very, very warm and rated to -148F, but they are quite large.  Buy two sizes bigger than your day shoes if you buy Baffin.

DN

I have the Icejacks and am very happy with them. I have the carbide studded soles and I can walk on glass ice without an issue.

Their customer service is one of the best. I have a few of their wading boots as well and they are great. When my Icejacks kick it, I'm getting another pair of Korkers.

I used to run the Muck boots as well but no breathability is a big pain..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:22 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Only schooling I can give is for the most part get a size bigger then your regular hiking boot size ..a liner sock and a heavy wool sock add up to cramp/tight fitting boots ..which really defeats the purpose of a insulated boot. My fear for going a size larger was having a Bozo the Clown boots on ...but in reality less then an inch between sizes ...but that little difference is a big difference. Another thing if your choice has removable liners take them out wear the sock(s) that you plan on wearing on ice and walk around the house with the liners to stretch them out and form fit to your feet.

https://www.zappos.com/measure-your-shoe-size
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:35 AM »
When I saw the forecast for NE WI over Christmas break, I jumped on Cabela's website ad saw they had the Trans-Alaskans and the Saskatchewan on sale for 150 and 187.50. Bought the  Saskatchewan with Gore-Tex. Some of the warmest boots you can get. They seem to run small, I have a 9 foot and had to buy 11's.

Features & Benefits of the Saskatchewan
        Advanced SolarCore aerogel barriers underfoot and in the toes
        13mm Texel removable liners minimize heat loss
        Moisture-trap footbeds wick away moisture, keeping feet dry
        Waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX liners
        Heat-pack pockets allow you to insert toewarmer heat packs

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:30 AM »
I have Baffin Titans -- they're bulky, but my feet are never cold.  Not the best for any hiking, but for standing on the ice or even 6" of slush all day, they're amazing.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:13 AM »
I have 1600 gram 16" high Rocky's rubber boots,  wouldn't trade them for the world.  My feet have never been close to cold since I bought them 3 or 4 seasons ago and I generally only wear a pair of regular ankle socks with them.  I don't take care of them in any special way, I don't put anything in or on them, just kick them off when I get in my truck and they stay there until the next trip, and stay on a shelf in the garage all off season, and they still look and work like new.  I guess they are considered bulky which doesn't bother me given the protection and warmth they give me, I never have an issue walking long distances in them.  If you can afford two pairs you can always get something more like a trail boot for those days you know are going to be temperate and dry but if I had to only own one pair I'd want something water tight, not just waterproof, at least a foot up.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:20 AM »
I am on my 3rd or 4th year with the Clam rubber style pull on boots. I like the handle cutouts on the top, Never get wet and decent glare ice traction without spikes. Can be heavy but I don't walk long distances. I just wear a quality moisture wicking sock, then wool socks and make sure its not tight after that. Tight boots are cold boots. Havent had cold feet with them in 3 years where my "old style" boots had me cold every trip.

Personally I will stay with the rubber style in the future as well, too many slushy lakes to go back to the old style that I constantly had to apply waterproofer spray to keep dry long term.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies Gents. I will take a look at Baffin's and the Cabelas Trans Alaskans.

I am running a pair of Mickey's right now that I'm quite positive are older than I am. I've never gotten cold in them, but they have no tread left at all and are like a pair of lead ingots are taped to both of my feet. The rubber is also starting to split in several places. Considering I bought a full set of Striker Lake Effect's last year I figured it won't do me much good this year if my feet are frozen.  ;)

If the exterior rubber splits, you need to seal that up ASAP.  If water gets into the wool insulation, they will be absolutely worthless!  There is no way to dry the insulation out since they are vapor barriered on both inside and out.  Had this happen to a pair where the outside got a crack and soaked water up.  That boot literally turned into a block of ice when temps got below freezing.  I tried everything to dry out the insulation but as far as I'm concerned it's impossible without destroying the boot.

I replaced those boots with another pair of Mickey's.  They just simply work and there's nothing comparable to them on the market.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I have both a pair of Baffin Eigers and the black Mickeys.

I'll wear the Mickeys when it's mid to high 20 degrees. Anything colder than that I'm wearing the Baffins.

My feet get cold in Mickeys when it get down to zero or below.

Be aware however, Baffins are huge. I can't drive with them on so I just wear a cheap, old pair of snowmobile boots and then switch when I park.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:14 AM »
The white ones are warmer than the black ones if anyone is looking at the bunnies

Offline aaron.ticknor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:36 AM »
I have been using Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pro boots for a couple seasons now without complaints. The things I really like about these are 100% waterproof and that they have an actual sole similar to a traditional hunting boot. The downside to these boots is they don't hold up well if you drag your auger bit across them on accident. Easy repair with shoe goo but it is something to consider.

In general on "rubber" type boots, if your feet sweat - you get cold. The best solution I have found is two parts: wear good moisture wicking socks, these boots are warm and thin socks are really all you need. Suggest merino wool lightweight socks. Also, get some spray deodorant and give your feet a spray down before putting on your socks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.