Author Topic: Buying high octane gas for power auger...  (Read 9182 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Buying high octane gas for power auger...
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:30 PM »
 I just bought Ultra 93 from local Sunoco station. Mixed with Amsoil and ethanol treatment for my power auger. I only buy 1 gal a season due to limited time on thick ice. Never use full gallon for season. As I was standing there looking at the long gas hose from pump. Got me to thinking " how much high octane did I really get"?? Modern pumps shut down and you can't drain hoses like the past. The next guy will probably be getting the rest of my gallon I bought. Win some lose some. Your thoughts..............
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Buying high octane gas for power auger...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:36 PM »
That's a problem with pumps with only one hose.

Better to put the first 2 tenths (or more) into your vehicle, thus insuring no food (corn-Ethanol) in the small engine.     ;)2

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:47 PM »
IMO, it doesn't take that much pump gas to make the mixture right. Last season I "borrowed" my dads auger, a tecumsuh/jiffy combo that's probably 35 years old and runs on 24:1, and mixed 40:1 and 87 octane. Since I have a diesel truck, I got a dollar of 87 octane and put that right in the auger, and filled the rest with 40:1. It ran like a champ.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 02:52 PM »
Bought at same place last year with no problems. Just wondered if anyone had any hiccups with theirs.
      Kim
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:10 PM »
I have a old model 30 jiffy I've bumped up the compression and I run VP C12 108.
I run it in my bracket car during the summer.
If you have any performance shops near you look into what they have for fuels.
The VP MS 109 can be used with anything that can be operated on pump fuel I think it's 100 octane.
There's other brands to.
Or small airports carry aviation fuel that's good stuff.
And it's all non ethanol.
I always wanted to try something like that in my auger, I just don't know where to buy it in small quantities. I have no use for like a 55 gal drum, which seems to be all I can find around me

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I just bought Ultra 93 from local Sunoco station. Mixed with Amsoil and ethanol treatment for my power auger. I only buy 1 gal a season due to limited time on thick ice. Never use full gallon for season. As I was standing there looking at the long gas hose from pump. Got me to thinking " how much high octane did I really get"?? Modern pumps shut down and you can't drain hoses like the past. The next guy will probably be getting the rest of my gallon I bought. Win some lose some. Your thoughts..............
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :tipup:
Still cheaper than a 12 pack!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:44 PM »
IMO, it doesn't take that much pump gas to make the mixture right. Last season I "borrowed" my dads auger, a tecumsuh/jiffy combo that's probably 35 years old and runs on 24:1, and mixed 40:1 and 87 octane. Since I have a diesel truck, I got a dollar of 87 octane and put that right in the auger, and filled the rest with 40:1. It ran like a champ.

I would guess there is a problem with the education system in NJ, specifically science and engineering.      ::)

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:52 PM »

???

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:56 PM »
They have oil now that you mix with 1 gallon gas , and its good for all mixtures.  Use in my weedeater, chainsaw, and anything that takes mixed gas.  Friend of mine has a small engine shop and he and I have used this stuff for about 5 yrs with no problems!!  Also put a dash of seafoam in can just before winter!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:56 PM »
X2 putting some 93 gas in vehicle first,then fill your container.
X2 using VP108 makes for easy starting after sitting a while and no ethanol.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:57 PM »

I would guess there is a problem with the education system in NJ, specifically science and engineering.      ::)
Yea I know its not particularly a great idea, but if you know somewhere where I can actually buy 24:1 or mix my own, I'm all ears buddy. I've looked in every home depot/ lowes type store and every small engine shop I can find and can't find any. I've done this for atleast 10 years and the auger runs like a boss every year. I'd challenge anyone to a speed drilling competition any day of the week.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Nobody has answered the question execpt a guess of 2 tenths. If the previous buyer has pumped regular and you want high test
how much is left in the system before the high test comes out ?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:13 PM »
My local station for no-ethanol has a different hose for each octane. But even with it being so, I always pump at least 2 gallons in the truck before I fill the 1 gal, better safe than sorry. Don't wan't the gas that's been sitting in the hose running through my auger. I go past that station every day and have been paying attention to the people filling up lately, haven't seen anyone buying the 91 non-eth.. who knows how many days the gas stays in that hose without being pumped. 

But you are right, if your pump has 1 hose and you pay for a gallon you are getting whatever the guy ahead of you got. There's at least a gallon in that 20' hose. Then the guy behind you is getting your 93 for the 87 he price when he fills up.

I guess you'll have to pay for 93, pump 2 gallons in your truck and 1 gallon in your can, then cash out and pay for 87 and fill your truck.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Yea I know its not particularly a great idea, but if you know somewhere where I can actually buy 24:1 or mix my own, I'm all ears buddy. I've looked in every home depot/ lowes type store and every small engine shop I can find and can't find any. I've done this for atleast 10 years and the auger runs like a boss every year. I'd challenge anyone to a speed drilling competition any day of the week.

OK Chris, you're not guilty.     :bow:

There was not much modern science used way back when 24:1 oils were recommended.

That was not what the engine required but, was based on the poor oil formulation.

Much better lubricants have been available since the mid '80's with the perfection of synthetics, all synthetics.

Going back to way last century to the 40's and 50's,  some 2 cycles needed a pint of 30W oil mixed with  each gasoline.

Today, synthetics far exceed the engine manufacturers  "MINIMUM"  requirements, do not void ANY warranty, prevent wear and prevent smoke.

The best synthetics do not burn off, but stay within the engine to lubricate and prevent metal to metal contact, also known as wear.

The best protection of all engines is easily obtainable, no matter the age !

It's not rocket science and really adds life to our toys.      ;)2

On the other hand, there is only one lubricant I have trusted and used since 1983.

So, you need not search for 24:1, now that you know the truth.     ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:33 PM »
My local station for no-ethanol has a different hose for each octane. But even with it being so, I always pump at least 2 gallons in the truck before I fill the 1 gal, better safe than sorry. Don't wan't the gas that's been sitting in the hose running through my auger. I go past that station every day and have been paying attention to the people filling up lately, haven't seen anyone buying the 91 non-eth.. who knows how many days the gas stays in that hose without being pumped. 

But you are right, if your pump has 1 hose and you pay for a gallon you are getting whatever the guy ahead of you got. There's at least a gallon in that 20' hose. Then the guy behind you is getting your 93 for the 87 he price when he fills up.

I guess you'll have to pay for 93, pump 2 gallons in your truck and 1 gallon in your can, then cash out and pay for 87 and fill your truck.

Jeez !         I'm guessing you measured with lab beakers, I mean,  You would never post speculation and mislead the impressionable folks with drivel. You're better than that.      ;)2

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Nobody has answered the question execpt a guess of 2 tenths. If the previous buyer has pumped regular and you want high test
how much is left in the system before the high test comes out ?

That's a problem with pumps with only one hose.

Better to put the first 2 tenths (or more) into your vehicle, thus insuring no food (corn-Ethanol) in the small engine.     ;)2

That 2 tenths works out very well, but, that's in my area.       YMMV

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:47 PM »

OK Chris, you're not guilty.     :bow:

There was not much modern science used way back when 24:1 oils were recommended.

That was not what the engine required but, was based on the poor oil formulation.

Much better lubricants have been available since the mid '80's with the perfection of synthetics, all synthetics.

Going back to way last century to the 40's and 50's,  some 2 cycles needed a pint of 30W oil mixed with  each gasoline.

Today, synthetics far exceed the engine manufacturers  "MINIMUM"  requirements, do not void ANY warranty, prevent wear and prevent smoke.

The best synthetics do not burn off, but stay within the engine to lubricate and prevent metal to metal contact, also known as wear.

The best protection of all engines is easily obtainable, no matter the age !

It's not rocket science and really adds life to our toys.      ;)2

On the other hand, there is only one lubricant I have trusted and used since 1983.

So, you need not search for 24:1, now that you know the truth.     ;)
Just curious, if your such an expert what should I be running in my auger?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Just curious, if your such an expert what should I be running in my auger?

Thanks for the compliment Chris, I've been working on becoming that for a while, just haven't made it yet and probably never will.

I try to stay up with the current technology, just not gaining much ground, ha.   

I've always been mechanically inclined, retired from my own shop, worked in the aerospace industry (back in the early 70's) and have been a 'Lifetime' dealer of Amsoil for, hm, 25 or 30 years.

I try to get my nose away from study and go fishing too, ha.   ;)2

To answer your question,  Amsoil Sabre 100:1     2 cycle lubricant.    I put enough (1.3 oz) into a/the container and add  8 tenths of a gallon of non-Ethanol gasoline.   No need to add anything else, as fuel stabilizer is already in the mix.   You can find Amsoil Sabre locally, (I hope).

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Chris, I've been working on becoming that for a while, just haven't made it yet and probably never will.

I try to stay up with the current technology, just not gaining much ground, ha.   

I've always been mechanically inclined, retired from my own shop, worked in the aerospace industry (back in the early 70's) and have been a 'Lifetime' dealer of Amsoil for, hm, 25 or 30 years.

I try to get my nose away from study and go fishing too, ha.   ;)2
Cool. I run amsoil fuel additive, man trans fluid, and gear oil for years. It's quality stuff. You didn't answer my question though.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:05 PM »
They have oil now that you mix with 1 gallon gas , and its good for all mixtures.  Use in my weedeater, chainsaw, and anything that takes mixed gas.  Friend of mine has a small engine shop and he and I have used this stuff for about 5 yrs with no problems!!  Also put a dash of seafoam in can just before winter!
                       Has anyone else tried this???

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:06 PM »
 ???
Cool. I run amsoil fuel additive, man trans fluid, and gear oil for years. It's quality stuff. You didn't answer my question though.

I thought the last two lines in reply #18 (above)answered your question.  Am I missing something ?   

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:11 PM »
???
I thought the last two lines in reply #18 (above)answered your question.  Am I missing something ?   
Nope, I missed that before, for some reason. I'll try and track that down and see how that goes

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Quote from: Gills-only on Today at 01:56 PM

Has anyone else tried this???

I have not tried this, I do not recommend using it and will not put it in any of my equipment. 

If you've tried the rest,  it seems a no brainer to go with the best.    It not what you pay ~ it's what it costs you !      :woot:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Nope, I missed that before, for some reason. I'll try and track that down and see how that goes

Can you scroll back up to it ?    Oh, wait, You must be on a tiny screen/phone.   YIKES. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:14 PM »
5 Yrs and NO problems, he has sold it longer than that no complaints Yet!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:18 PM »
5 Yrs and NO problems, he has sold it longer than that no complaints Yet!!

Good for him.    Thanks for telling me/us that.   I refuse to leave known science for a simple experiment !   

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Can you scroll back up to it ?    Oh, wait, You must be on a tiny screen/phone.   YIKES.
I just said I was going to buy some Saber. Sorry I didn't visit my local Amsoil dealer sooner. Calm down buddy

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:28 PM »
        Calm down buddy

Ha, good one, Chris.   

It takes a lot to excite me, may be age related, ha.

Offline augerbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Get a spud, end of problem!!!

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Ha, good one, Chris.   

It takes a lot to excite me, may be age related, ha.
They make a pill for that.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.