Author Topic: Ice-Well Floating Livewell  (Read 7721 times)

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Ice-Well Floating Livewell
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:30 PM »
So this is what we do depending on thickness

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

we drill with usually the hand auger unless the ice is really thick then we use the gas one.... usually do 4 by 4 and then take a hatchet and chip away any remaining ice then poke a small hole and let her fill up we make sure we mark the spot when we leave

This livewell creates a hazard on the ice and may be illegal because of its size.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:19 PM »
This livewell creates a hazard on the ice and may be illegal because of its size.

not to start an argument but I haven't found anywhere in the NYS DEC regulations that says if we can or cannot make a livewell in the ice or not so I guess it would depend on your states regulations.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:05 PM »
While they might not be illegal, I feel that someone especially ice fishing at night may not see the live well (or a marker signaling it) which may cause the fisherman to hurt him/herself. I personally prefer just to keep about two inches of water in a bucket inside my shanty with the fish in it. The fish eventually (especially if you are kind enough to knock em on the head) die, yet they never freeze. 
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:51 PM »
This maybe an easy way to keep bait fresh in the permy overnight!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:39 AM »
What is the advantage of the bag over a plain old rope or metal stringer?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:21 AM »
What is the advantage of the bag over a plain old rope or metal stringer?

It costs more, so it must be better.  I guess you could cull from the live well if you wanted.  But I doubt the fish would survive very well if you decided to release one after it had been held in a mesh bag just under the ice for very long.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:25 AM »
In Mn these have been used for years to keep your minnows alive in your permant shack...

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2012, 09:52 AM »
While they might not be illegal, I feel that someone especially ice fishing at night may not see the live well (or a marker signaling it) which may cause the fisherman to hurt him/herself. I personally prefer just to keep about two inches of water in a bucket inside my shanty with the fish in it. The fish eventually (especially if you are kind enough to knock em on the head) die, yet they never freeze.

Illinois regs. state that holes cut in the ice can be no motre than 12" in diameter. I'm sure other states have similar regulations.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:36 PM »
not to start an argument but I haven't found anywhere in the NYS DEC regulations that says if we can or cannot make a livewell in the ice or not so I guess it would depend on your states regulations.

I have seen one of those eat the front wheel and A arm off a 4 wheeler before luckily it was his livewell and new wheeler ::)
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2012, 03:21 PM »
For some years now I've been using a clip stringer hooked to the middle of an aluminum measuring stick.    A guy at the local bait shop said he thought fish on a stringer would give off some kind of distress signal that others would pick up on and scoot. My B/S detectors went off though.Don't think it works that way. At any rate you couldn't fit a big Northern in such a floating livewell. Maybe you could though. I ordered an 8" model from Thorne Bros mostly because I have to have some new little gizmo every winter and I don't need anything else. But I don't care for frozen fish when it's so easy to keep them fresh.
Be safe out there and try to have some fun.
Stinkyfingers
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 07, 2012, 06:45 AM »
For some years now I've been using a clip stringer hooked to the middle of an aluminum measuring stick.    A guy at the local bait shop said he thought fish on a stringer would give off some kind of distress signal that others would pick up on and scoot. My B/S detectors went off though.Don't think it works that way. At any rate you couldn't fit a big Northern in such a floating livewell. Maybe you could though. I ordered an 8" model from Thorne Bros mostly because I have to have some new little gizmo every winter and I don't need anything else. But I don't care for frozen fish when it's so easy to keep them fresh.
Be safe out there and try to have some fun.
Stinkyfingers

If you use a clip stringer don't use the metal ones; clips open. Buy the locking nylon/plastic clip style.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #41 on: Nov 07, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Anyone ever had a problem with a pike or a muskie trying to make a meal out of your panfish while they are down your hole? I had this happen to some crappie I had hanging off of a dock once.

I have tried a laundry bag, and a similar device I purchased and holes were chewed into both of them the first time I used them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.