Author Topic: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
Re: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?
« Reply #90 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:42 AM »
My father-in-law many years ago. Fin

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:55 AM »
My dad. I was 3 years old the first time he took me out on the ice. We lived in Wisconsin at the time, and my first trip was on Pewaukee Lake. I honestly don't have alot of great memories with my dad (I am doing my best to make sure that my son never says that when he gets older...he is 7 years old now), but I do have some fond memories of he and I on the ice together. I even got "the talk" while we were ice fishing when I was about 13 years old.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:54 PM »
My Dad, 34 years ago. He is 67 now and still fishing with my brother and 2 boys, long live grandpa.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #93 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:25 PM »
My father.  He can't go anymore but expects detailed reports when I get back.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #94 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:52 AM »
My first memory of ice fishing was with both my father and grandfather. My grandfather would be on the ice at least 3 or 4 times a week.

He didn't own an auger, and I remember him cutting his holes with his chainsaw. He'd cut them square ( obviously ) and would use giant tongs to pull out his cubes. He would then stack the cubes in some weird way and tie a hand line around them, one of the more unique ways of fishing I've ever seen.

Occasionally, when my father and I would be down on our lake fishing, Grandpa would come putting along on his '79 Moto Ski Mirage with his home made dual function wood hauler/ ice fishing equipment sled, and dad would pop a few holes for him with his 6 inch swede bore auger. We'd almost always be fishing exclusively for pike, and I can remember quite a few days where the only time our traps moved was when we packed them up. Looking back on it now, it didn't matter to me, I got to spend quality time with 2 of my best fishing buddies ever.

We own quite a bit of property here in west Quebec, and have a few small lakes back in the bush. My father and grandfather tried to stock  one of the lakes with pike, which may seem weird to some of you, but like I said, we had more fun fishing pike than any other fish.

Years came and went with no one ever wetting a line ( hardwater or softwater ) in said lake, but always saying " yeah, next year's the year we'll do it! "

That year never came for my grandfather. We lost grandpa in January 2009, at the ripe old age of 97. About a month after the funeral, I was sitting on my duff at home. I said, " you know what, no more waiting. Now is the time ". I packed all of my gear on the bike, and motored back to what we call " Mary's Lake " ( Named after my grandfathers aunt ). The ice was honeycombed but still had a good 15 inches of it. I popped 2 holes, put a windlass tipup in one, and started jigging out of the other. It was a really windy day, and the windlass was bobbing up and down all afternoon. After not scoring for a while on the jig, and expecting visitors at the house, I decided it was time to pack up and head home. When I walked over to my windlass, I noticed the line was pulled over to the side of the hole, I put my hand on it, felt a sharp tug, set the hook, and hauled up a 7 and a half pound pike.

It was the first fish anyone had ever pulled out of that lake. I couldn't help but wonder if grandpa had helped me catch that fish that day. Deep down, I know he did. I just wish I could have told him about it. He would have been 99 years old yesterday. There isn't a day that I set foot on ice, and don't think about him.

So, in the end, it was both my grandfather and father who introduced me to ice fishing.

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I dont know why but i started to take an interest in it when in my 40s . Always enjoyed open water since i was about 4 or 5 . Finally went with an old buddy who just recently passed . He taught me the ropes and i will be doing it as long as god allows me here on this beautiful earth . Most fun you can have wearing 3 layers of cloths .   

Offline Royster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:05 AM »
My dad Marcum Man
I love ice fishing

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:54 AM »
I saw some fishing show on tv and they were Ice fishing. Thought that might be fun, the wife got me a hand auger and two poles for x mass that year, Went out and sat on a bucket and did not have fun! 10 years later found all the stuff in the shed and thought what the heck, I called up a buddy that just started fishing that summer and we went and got him two poles and hit the lake. Had a ball, didn't get a lot of fish but did get some big ones. Been doing it for 6 years now, spent more money then I care to think about, but ice fishing is all I think about! Shoot, boat ain't left the yard in 3 years. I live for ice fishing!

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:59 PM »
There was/is a Men's club in Woonsocket,R.I. called Circle Laurier and back in 1976 or '77 I don't remember, they put an ad in the local paper's outdoor column advertising a  ice fishing trips/seminars for $3 bucks a day, all inclusive... gear,lunch,bait and a ride.Being without a father and a mother that didn't drive I convinced mom to let me sign up.Poor as dirt I shoveled enough driveways that week to save the money to go. A crew of old timers picked me up one morning and showed me the ropes everything from chopping holes with a spud to setting up the tilts and cutting cards for the batting order for chasing flags.I think I went out 3 times that year with those guys and it was the best time of my life. I wish I could "pay it forward" and do something like that today for some kid,but the world is so screwed up today most people wouldn't let their kids go with a total stranger fishing and I wouldn't put myself in that position anyways. I do wish I could meet up with hose guys today( if they're still alive?) buy 'em a shot and tell them how much of a lasting effect they had on me. Still out there today...36 years later...guess I  got hooked!!!   

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 04, 2011, 12:17 AM »
My mother about 66 years ago. 
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #100 on: Dec 04, 2011, 12:33 AM »
My buddy in 2009. I had been a few times before with little knowledge or success. I took him to Canada for some monster Pike and walleye and he never went back to Wisconsin again. In return he taught me to ice fish. That's when I fell in love with it. I can't wait to go this season. It was devastating when the ice broke this march. I then will commence with the cycle of insanity. Canada spring, Canada fall, Illinois Ice winter. Maybe The cabin In Canada ??? I'm still undecided. Long drive and harsh weather. Bring out the tire chains I guess?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:15 AM »
My Dad did over 30 years ago, pulling me while I was sitting on the shanty, wish I could take him out once.

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #102 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:07 AM »
great grandpa and my pops! Still fishin with my dad and great gramps found a better fishing hole with the master angler upstairs! :tipup:

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:41 AM »
My dad went ice fishing but never took my brother and I. I became friends in my early teens with a man named Charlie Deaton, who also owned an an archery shop. As he mentored me on the archery business, he also took me ice fishing and 34 years later I'm still on ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.