Author Topic: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:13 PM »
My dad and his crew started me on Gull Lake in Brainerd when we lived there. Got out of it after moving back to SD then my father-in-law got be back into it, haven't looked back since.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:33 PM »
My father in law, upstate NY about 16 years ago.  Went with him last February for the first time here in RI.  Sadly that will be the last time since he passed in August.  Will always do the shot tribute from here on out :)

Brentster7189

« Reply #62 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:43 PM »
My dad introduced me to ice fishing.  He did it a lot when he lived in Wisconsin, then we did it a few times each winter when we moved to Idaho.  Fun stuff, minimal equipment.  Just gotta be able to handle the cold.  Have already been taking my kids ice fishing now too.  Hopefully a legacy that will live on through the generations.

Offline tgus59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I kind of got myself started 3 years ago.  I golf and open water fish in the spring, hunt in the fall, and was bored from the middle of Dec until the end of March.  So I figured instead of pouting and watching TV all winter I'd learn to catch slabs through the ice.  It's been a fun journey and I get better every year.  I've gotten some friends addicted as well.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #64 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:22 PM »
A buddy and I were unemployed one winter during the mid 60's and we bought an early portable that was like a tent with a plywood floor. It came with an old kerosene heater that stunk our clothes up so bad that my mother made me go straight to the basement and get out of my fishing clothes. Had a spoon type auger and carried the whole shebang around in the trunk of an old Comet. And we caught fish!! So I guess I learned as I went!! Still learning!! Heck, I'm only 67. I've got a lot to learn yet!! That's why I'm here!!!!  :whistle:  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Nov 28, 2011, 04:32 PM »
My dad, i started when i was about 7 or 8. He would drill the holes and i would set the tip ups.  Of course when the fishing was slow i would be building snow houses and playing.  Always remember never wanting to leave (all fishing trips were like that for me).  Boy i miss those days.  Was out of it for years and just last year got back into it and can't wait for the lakes to freeze.

Thanks dad

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Had to figger it out myself.  Dad couldn't catch a suicide fish in a barrel.  My bro and I read all the available mags and tried and failed a lot but we eventually learned.  The summertime  idiots on jet skis are replaced by idiots on sleds in the winter, but I prefer ice to soft water.  Windy may be cold but at least there's no roller coaster ride involved like in summer.

Offline Coldkitty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:49 PM »
The best boyfriend ever got me started a couple years ago.  Now I can't wait to get out there again!

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:50 PM »
My dad. He's awesome.

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I grew up on the Iowa Great Lakes, as a kid I didn't have much supervision and wandered a alot.  I was 8 when I got my first ice rod, I would just walk across the street onto the lake and use an open hole.  I remember my first fish I caught I was by myself and landed a big bluegill on a gold teardrop!  Charlie Shuck owned Shucks bait & tackle and would always give us a deal as kids on gear-very smart on his part I still go there a lot even tho he doesn't own it anymore.  He told me to use gold teardrops and wigglers.  I was hooked on icefishing!

Offline little bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:01 PM »
My Great granfather , grand father and my dad. And now its my dad and myself with my 2 boys.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:07 PM »
 it was back in the early 90's when we first got our drivers license. a buddy and myself were bored to death one day. i asked him if has ever gone ice fishing he said nope and said the same thing. we both chipped in for an auger, got own rods hooks and sinkers, shared the cost of bait and went out. i have not looked back since.

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:19 PM »
my grandfather,still use his traps sometimes :tipup:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #73 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:21 PM »
My father and I fished the summer hard, but he had (and still doesn't have)  any interest in ice fishing. The first winter that I lived on a lake (I was about 7) I started walking out and pestering the guys ice fishing. I met some great anglers that were patient with me and showed me some of the ropes... So in the end it was a bunch of guys that were kind to a kid asking to many questions... Thanks to all of you!!!

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I can happily thank my father for this addiction.

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #75 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:27 PM »
my dad i miss him

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:40 PM »
My self. My father did not fish and thought is was cruel and barbaric. I have had a deep love of fishing since I can remmember. I would fish every creek, farm pond, lake, stream and river in my travels with the family. My mother was also in insurance sales and would drop me off at places to fish. One year for Christmas I asked for a ice rod. My mother would take me down to the local hard water fishing spot which you could watch from the heated car. All I had was a pole. I would use other open holes or open old ones up with a hatchet. A couple years went by and I was able to venture out on my own. My mom would pick me up some minnows the night before on the way home from work. The next day after school I would hop on the bike and make the trip to lake Mac. A two mile ride. I would fish till dark and my mom would pick me up on the way home from school. Some days the weather would turn bad and I would find an open perm. and fish inside. I was lucky and meet some older anglers who took the time from there fishing and taught me better ways to fish. Most of all I would have to say my mother got me into ice fishing with out ever stepping foot on the ice. Till this day 30 years later I love the sport and can't wait for some ice. You should of heard my dad when he found out I was hunting and found a bow and shotgun in the closet.

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:13 AM »
My great grand dad, he use to take me out every weekend when I was a little tike.  I think I started when I was about 3 and he was in his mid 80s.  He also taught me baseball.  He was a great man. still have some of the old poles we use to use and the old hand warmers that still work.  Only problem they make your cloths stink.  Miss that ole guy!!!

Offline Jermyhiney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:16 PM »
My brother got me started when I was about 12, now I'm 38 and have 3 kids 2 which are boys and they are pestering me about when we can go this year! They already love fishing the soft water especially since we got a boat this year, I do believe that they are hooked for life!
If it smells like fish, eat all you wish!

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:10 AM »
TheGreenHornet   was my first teacher.  I taught him how to pick up the ladies, he taught me how to fish.  now that we are both married not allowed to do either.  Talk about identity crisis...

Offline Frabill 44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St.Croix alls i need!! Chicago Fire Department
« Reply #80 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:25 AM »
Myself but only solidified by friends
i hear ya... cant go without my buddy.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #81 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:01 AM »
i came extremely late in life to the sport of fishing as i had never fished , or honestly even thought about it until i moved up here to Northern Wisconsin from Texas back in the summer '02 when i was 35....i worked at a landscape company and by September , the guys who worked for me were all talking about it so i finally joined the conversation and was just floored the first time they told me you can drive trucks and just about anything out there on the ice....i thought they were BSing me but told them , sure I'll try it out......finally the day came and these guys showed up at my house and took one look at me and laughed out loud hard at me because i was wearing 2 pairs of sweats , 2 shirts and a pull over , i did buy a nice Carhartt jacket , but all i had on my feet was sneakers....so they wouldn't take me until i went shopping for boots and bibs.......

i look back now and see how much ice fishing has changed my life
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:23 AM »
My gramps and dad. They hunt and fish and now i do. But icefishing ;D my freind got me into that one.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #83 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:24 AM »
my old babysitters husband took me a lot when i was a kid because my dad is a F******* idiot i thank him every time i see him for being more of a father to my than my dad was :thumbsup:
FISH ON

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:26 AM »
My dad did, fished alot with him until I moved south. Got back 20 years ago and have only coaxed him out twice since then. Kinda funny when you think about it.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline bobzitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Still Waiting on my ice!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:19 AM »
My Father, when i was 5, then i introduced my daughter to ice fishing at the age of 4 and i bring atleast 1 new ice virgin out with me every year, i have 3 buddies that never went and now thats all we talk about and do in the winter.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #86 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:25 AM »
My dad

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:48 PM »
A friend at work about 12 yrs ago. My favorite type of fishing ever scene.

smitty :tipup:

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:21 PM »
A good friend of mine. Growing up in the south and chasing bass, I told him that going out on the ice to fish seemed completely stupid. He asked that I give it just one try and if I don't like it then fair enough.
First hole in the first 10 minutes I pulled a nice size smallie through the ice. Been hooked ever since.

Thanks Tony

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:14 PM »
No one. was out on the ice at 13 w a spud and plastic jig rod. no ice fisherman or hunters in the immediate family. must be a genetic mutation. been thru the ice 3x. cant wait to get out there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.