Author Topic: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who introduced you to Ice fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:54 PM »
My dad started taking me when I was knee high to a jackrabbit.  Always had extra socks and a warm heater for when I'd step in a 10" hole.  It happened plenty.  We could set out 15 tipups each.  We went a lot too!!  I miss those days.  Always had egg sandwiches and a hot lunch.  Good memories.  Now I'm more addicted to it then he probably ever was.  I fish year round.  There's rarely a time when I wouldn't rather be fishing!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Myself, as a young teenager, with a fascination of being able to walk on a frozen lake. ;D  I loved to fish in the summer, so ice fishing was the next thing to master.

haha do we ever master a sport like fishing? no matter if its hard water or soft........
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Dad took me fishing but I acquired ice fishing on my own...there is a big pond down the road from our country property and I got the ingenious idea to fish a spot I couldn't reach in summer by walking out on the ice..it worked out and pounded the gills...its still a great pond and to this day I'm the only one who fishes it but I don't over do it  :)

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:24 PM »
my old man introduced me when i was about 5 and now im 19 and fish a lot more than he does (and better too) THANKS DAD!

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:27 PM »
My Dad took me on our first ice fishing trip when I was 12 years old.  It was -20F and a there was a 20 knot wind.  We had to chisel through two feet of ice.  We caught nothing, got frost bite and both swore we would never try that again.   ::)

Twenty five years later my open water fishing buddy invited me to go.  I caught a few fish and for the next few years, I went once a year with him until I bought my own auger (an 8" spoon).  I've got five augers now and go every weekend.  I'm hooked.   ;D
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:39 PM »
When i was a little kid my mom used to take me to the local childrens ice fishing derby every year and when i was old enough me and a couple friends started going more often now i fish as much as possible

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:53 PM »
my grandfather and my dad but was to young to remeber just have a few pics of me in my bright red snowsuit
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:35 PM »
My grandpa about 30 years ago.  He didn't have a boat, so all we ever did was icefish for perch back when the limit was 50.  We used the old-school wooden rods with two pegs for the line and a spud bar to open up old holes (he didn't have an auger, either).  We would limit pretty well every day we went.  I still prefer ice fishing over summer fishing by a wide margin.

pannyjigger.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #38 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Flaggs  ;D ;D ;D ;D thanks flaggs!
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:08 PM »
One of my best friends... it was last ice in feb of 05' it was 45 degrees out and we caught 200 fish that day. My first and personal best day ever....Only if i new i was ganna turn into a hardwater junky ;D   its all bcause of my 1st time out

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:35 PM »
it was my father when i was a child...we use to target white perch, and we use to slam em'. with a split shot,hook and a piece of nightcrawler....i remember our first shanty made of tin, and sitting on a bucket jiggin' away.....cant remember how we heated it though.....it might have been a coleman-two burner..(the pump kind)

got away from it for a looong time, and got back into it about 7 yrs. ago....grabbed my "yard-chisle"....put some line on a stick and went to a pond nearby, and caught nothing, but i was back in the game....today i got my own shanty, and am hooked to todays technology, and building things to enhance my "game"..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:40 PM »
One of my buddies in high school. I went a lot at first, then not for 10 years or so. Got back into it wit my brother at a stocked trout lake.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:30 PM »
My Dad,Iremember going my first time and we tried a bunch of holes catching nothing.The second time years later it was a slow day and I went exploring caught one nice gill and I come back all excited and he had several on the ice.Can't wait til we get out again.Thanks Dad.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:31 PM »
My fiance. Now I am hooked.... :tipup:
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:33 PM »
My fiance. Now I am hooked.... :tipup:
Wow  :o that's a twist!!! She is a keeper.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:43 PM »
My dad and grandpa at Perch Vill great memories.

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:49 PM »
On my own trial and error mostly while i was in my teens back in the 1960's. Like they say i learned how to do it by first finding all the wrong ways of doing it.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:02 PM »
My dad and his curmudgeon buddies back when I was about ten years old.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:03 PM »
A good friend - about 45 years ago.  We set some tipups out off the point of an island and when I pulled in an 8 lb. walleye by hand - I was hooked forever ;D  That guy got me into a ton of trouble over the years.  :P ::)

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:07 PM »
A god friend - about 45 years ago.  We set some tipups out off the point of an island and when I pulled in an 8 lb. walleye by hand - I was hooked forever ;D  That guy got me into a ton of trouble over the years.  :P ::)

Wouldn't a "god friend" keep you out of trouble?  ;)2

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Wouldn't a "god friend" keep you out of trouble?  ;)2

Yep - but I don't have any of those -  ;)

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Yep - but I don't have any of those -  ;)

lol me neither

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:15 PM »
When I was very young in the 50's, my Dad took me often. When they were biting he would go everyday. A handful of jigs in a fly box,a simple glass rod with two pegs for a winder and a bucket to sit on and haul away the fish. A spoon hand auger and a spud. I didn't go much in high school and gave it up completely when he passed away. I've picked it up again in the last 5 years and add new toys every year. Humminbird, GPS, Tent, Heater, Eskimo Auger and more jigs than he ever owned. And a sled to drag it all. Same fish though: Bluegills, Crappies and an occasional pike. He goes with me still, every time!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:27 PM »
A good friend - about 45 years ago.  We set some tipups out off the point of an island and when I pulled in an 8 lb. walleye by hand - I was hooked forever ;D  That guy got me into a ton of trouble over the years.  :P ::)
I have a God friend.  ;D I talk to him sometimes but mostly its a one sided conversation!

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:47 AM »
grandpa and his stories the rest i worked out on my own

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 AM »
An old guy I knew real well took me when I was just 4. That was in 1956 and I haven't missed a year yet.Even after that old guy died. And I plan on going till I die. I can fish alone and I can fish in a crowd ,and I allways love it.   Jerry

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:55 AM »
was 16 at the time my foster father took me to bawbeese lake  michigan. was fishing a hole on my knees with a minnow and bobber. caught a 14 inch perch and i been bangin' away since. i'm 58 and fishin' has sure changed. prob got $3000. worth of gear today! life does change but fish on is still, FISH ON! ;)
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:02 PM »
my father in law, last season...I've got a lot of learning to do and this is a great place to do it!
Tight lines

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:14 PM »
My grandpa and Dad.
Grandpa is 88 and he is still going out fishing 2 or 3 times a week and can't wait to use my new 67c this year.
He keeps saying that thing will show you a jig that small and you can see the fish come to it before they bite.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #59 on: Nov 28, 2011, 12:50 PM »
My dad and grandpa when I was about 4.  They took me spearing and tied me to the spear house.  That was 39 years ago.  Still going like the energize bunny ;D  My 9 year now is in her 4 year of going and she already has asked when we going.  Soon as we GET ICE!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.