Author Topic: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger  (Read 12145 times)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Re: whats the best inexpensive drill to buy for my auger
« Reply #90 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:30 PM »
The Nils auger with the Bosch 36v drill ... that's the ultimate setup. Next year I will have a Nils. My setup works great now, but it will work awesome next year.

I also noticed that my current setup (Bosch 36v, I.K.II, and 7" S.M.) is that it's almost maxed out on the depth, unless I bought an extention. A Nils is longer, plus I'd use a straight shaft adaptor with the 6" Nils, the 8" Nils would need the Ice Kicker II to run without stopping ... but either way I'd have all the depth I need. This ice is the deepest I've seen it in a long time.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I am the OP of this thread.
I didn't buy a craftsman or skil. I Ordered a Ridgid R86007N online from Home Depot last week, Used it and it works great. We had 12" of ice, drilled a dozen or more holes and it was still going.

The Drill was a Promotion deal for $99 thru Home Depot, offered only online. The same drill regular price was $199 in HD stores and online. So for $113 I got a 18v Ridgid drill, charger, and 2 Lith batteries.

And its LIFETIME warranty on drill and batteries, can't get that with those HIGH priced drills.

Now some say there is no more Lifetime warranty with Ridgid. Yes there is, I personally talked to a Ridgid Rep before I ordered. 1st you have to buy a kit(minimum drill, charger, and battery), just buying the drill does not qualify for lifetime, just a drill is only 3 yrs. You also have to buy it at Home Depot, no lifetime if you don't have a HD reciept. And 3rd you have to register it all with Ridgid.

Anyone interested in the drill I got click link below. Can't beat the price, which includes 2 batteries and lifetime warranty. The link details say only one battery. The Ridgid Rep I talked to said there is suppose to be 2. They told me to call back if I only got one. I just got my 2nd today in the mail today.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202546811/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=promo+drill&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:35 PM »
The link details say only one battery. The Ridgid Rep I talked to said there is suppose to be 2. They told me to call back if I only got one. I just got my 2nd today in the mail today.
Did you have someone in particular that you talked to about the batteries?
I have talked to 2 different people and they both told me the same thing. One battery only on the $99.00 promo deal
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:57 PM »
that sounds like a good deal good luck tight lines

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Did you use it yet?

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Did you have someone in particular that you talked to about the batteries?
I have talked to 2 different people and they both told me the same thing. One battery only on the $99.00 promo deal

Did you talk to Home Depot or Ridgid? as I said in the post, I talked to Ridgid before I ordered it. Infact the Ridgid Rep is the one who told me about the HD promo deal. We both looked at the HD discription and seen it said 1 battery. The RIDGID(not HD) Rep said its supposed to come with 2. Ridgid is who I called to get the 2nd battery, not HD.

I PMed you the Ridgid call back number, not good idea to post tele#'s here.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Did you use it yet?

Yes, as I said in my post "Used it and it works great. We had 12" of ice, drilled a dozen or more holes and it was still going"

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Yes, as I said in my post "Used it and it works great. We had 12" of ice, drilled a dozen or more holes and it was still going"

What auger did you try use it on. Did you try both the mora and the lazer?

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:00 AM »
What auger did you try use it on. Did you try both the mora and the lazer?

I used the 6" mora. I don't plan on ever using the 7" Lazer. For one, your uncle said his Lazer is harder to control and when it cuts thru the bottom. If you don't drill exactly straight down, he said it can catch and make the drill twist bad. If not careful the drill can slap your arm or wrist if it catches.

The Mora drilled thru the 12" in about 10-15 secs so that is fast enough. Took a while to get used to it, didn't need allot of pressure to cut thru. Man its sure easier on me than any hand crank. Don't know how many holes it will cut on one charge. But since I got the 2nd battery I will have a backup. To bad the weather went warm, didn't have a chance to use the setup but once.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 AM »
anyboby know where i can get an adapter for the nils i cannot use the one i had for my mora need help please

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #100 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:46 AM »
You can buy one at http://www.icemasteradapter.com/ I recently purchased one for my Nils. $30 plus shipping.

Dave

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #101 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I use a cheap 18v ryobi ,I think it was like 39$$ wprks great get bout 20 holes when ice is 11 inches thick,I really like it!!
FISH:)mmm good

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:53 AM »
i have that one it doesnt adapt to the nils it also says in the listing what it fits

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #103 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:28 PM »
icemasteradapter makes one specifically for the Nils augers. I bought one and it fits my Nils. It is slightly more expensive than the ones that fit Mora's etc.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:54 PM »
thank you i just called them  they do have it

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I used the 6" mora. I don't plan on ever using the 7" Lazer. For one, your uncle said his Lazer is harder to control and when it cuts thru the bottom. If you don't drill exactly straight down, he said it can catch and make the drill twist bad. If not careful the drill can slap your arm or wrist if it catches.

The Mora drilled thru the 12" in about 10-15 secs so that is fast enough. Took a while to get used to it, didn't need allot of pressure to cut thru. Man its sure easier on me than any hand crank. Don't know how many holes it will cut on one charge. But since I got the 2nd battery I will have a backup. To bad the weather went warm, didn't have a chance to use the setup but once.

I didn't realize your lazer was a 7".  I think 6" is probably the max for an 18volt.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Definitely wouldn't go over 6" on any 18v drill, and some 24v drills - no matter if it was a Nils. 

I got to borrow one of those Bosche 36V SDS hammerdrills the other day at work - holy smokes that thing can make a hole!  Made a 5/8" hole through a 6" concrete slab in no time flat.  Heavy SOB, but wow that thing had power.  May need to chase one of those (36v Lith) down in the future!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:01 PM »
anyboby know where i can get an adapter for the nils i cannot use the one i had for my mora need help please

I bought mine off ebay, the guy actually mills them himself. I looked thru his others and didn't find one for a nils. But if you contact him he may be able to make just what you need. The one I got has a stop on the allen wrench so if the chuck lossens the auger will not fall down the hole. Ones without the washer stop are about $5 cheaper.

Heres the link of the one I bought, just click "ask a question" to contact him about making one for your nils. These are not slopy made adapters, mine is well made. Evidently the guy has a machine shop or a lathe to turn down aluminum stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ice-Auger-Adapter-Cordless-Drill-Motor-Ice-Fishing-/180581449577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0b7e3f69

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I didn't realize your lazer was a 7".  I think 6" is probably the max for an 18volt.

I never got around callinig your uncle, do you know if hes still getting on nyona?

Offline acnicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:02 AM »
I never got around callinig your uncle, do you know if hes still getting on nyona?

I don't think he got out last weekend at all.  I'm not sure how the ice is.  I put all my stuff up for the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.