Author Topic: thats my flag  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: thats my flag
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Quote from: Smontague
never, ever, ever, would I touch another man's set up.

Neither would I, even if he did turn his head a coughed!!!  :o

;D :roflmao:
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Well, it doesn't matter whats on the line, it's mine, hands off! And if you have to be told twice, I'm not above giving you an old fashioned lesson in manors. As for lunch, you missed the point. Lunch was not important, giving the fish a couple minutes was. through countless hours of pike fishing over many years, I have learned that grabbing the line to quick results in pulling the hook out of the bait, more often than not (little tip for the rookie professionals). I don't know what your smok'in "silva", but where did you come up with 2 treble hooks? I have never used trebles for pike, I use gamakatsu circle. I do practice catch and release, but do like to eat pike if in the mood or it's necessary. And where I'm from, if you can see your tip up, you are attending it, nothing in the rule book about dashing to a flag. Bottom line, I'll fish my way, you fish yours.
For the record, I think you were both in the wrong. He shouldn't touch your flag and you should respect the fish. Grabbing the line too quick and sitting down for lunch are 2 different things. any hook in the stomach or gills will damage the fish, trebles are what I personally use, and have had great success with, thanks much.

If I saw you leaving a fish to ingest your hook for several minutes while you ate lunch i wouldnt mind giving you a lesson in manners yourself, sir. There is the law, and there is common sense and respect for this fine sport. I think you can cross one without necessarily crossing the other. I mean, it wasn't "illegal" for him to grab your tip up, still a pretty douche thing to do, right?

If it was a few seconds you were letting the fish take a quick run and I misunderstood the post, I apologise. If you honestly have let the fish run for several minutes before you can hook, maybe you should switch to treble hooks too, tough guy.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:54 PM »
 Dont touch my flag!!!!!
Catching Any?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I've been with DNR CO's before both fishing and watching for my law enforcement degree. I can honestly tell you, both officers I followed would have written you a ticket, or a written warning for unattended line. Once you acknowledge that you know a fish has taken your bait, you are to respond to it. You can walk over to it and wait there, but you can not return to your shanty.

That would be the same thing as setting your rod up 20-30 yards down the bank with a bobber, seeing the bobber go down, and ignoring it to let the fish take the bait. You can do that but only if you are reasonably close to the line and make a reasonable effort to catch the fish in a reasonable amount of time.

If I was watching I would have written you a ticket for unattended line, and asked if you wanted to press charges for mistermeaner theft in the case of him picking up your tip-up.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:14 PM »
ive seen it happen when people are too close together thats why all my flags have my name on them sharpies are wonderful things

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:41 PM »
ok how about this situation.  I would not grab anyone else's flag, even a partner, unless given permission.  But, I did last week.  here's the scenario.  we were walleye fishing and it came to the end of the day, I already had my flags picked up, so I offered to pick up a couple for my buddy.  He went one way, I went the other.  When I came up on one flag, I could see the "T" on his polar was turned, and then it started to twitch.  The "t" was caught on the flag and would not allow the flag to go up.  I walked up to it, released the flag, pulled out the tip up and brought the fish it.    the fish was in the slot limit, so we were not able to keep it anyway.  would you have done the same, or tell your buddy who is 100 yards away that there is a fish on the line to allow him to come over and take it.  If i were my buddy, i would not care in the least bit if my fishing partner pulled in a fish for me while he was helping me pick up my flags.  If i am on a hot perch bite, I will often tell other people to go grab a flag for me if I have them set out for pike at the same time.

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:48 PM »
For the record, I think you were both in the wrong. He shouldn't touch your flag and you should respect the fish. Grabbing the line too quick and sitting down for lunch are 2 different things. any hook in the stomach or gills will damage the fish, trebles are what I personally use, and have had great success with, thanks much.

If I saw you leaving a fish to ingest your hook for several minutes while you ate lunch i wouldnt mind giving you a lesson in manners yourself, sir. There is the law, and there is common sense and respect for this fine sport. I think you can cross one without necessarily crossing the other. I mean, it wasn't "illegal" for him to grab your tip up, still a pretty douche thing to do, right?

If it was a few seconds you were letting the fish take a quick run and I misunderstood the post, I apologise. If you honestly have let the fish run for several minutes before you can hook, maybe you should switch to treble hooks too, tough guy.
Ok mister make up any scenario so you have something to whine about. Lets try to address some of your delusions, first off, I never sat down to finish my lunch. My lunch happened to be venison sandwich, half gone, your small mind seems to think lunch was a five course meal that I sat down and finished for an hour. I think two bites of a sandwich, the last swig of my coffee and throw my jacket on would take a whole minute. Well I didn't get that far, I opened the door, said I know it's mine, closed the door and looked out the window to see my tip up in his hand. Don't sit at your computer and make up crap about a situation you know very little about. And I don't use double or single trebles because I think it would kill a lot of fish(not that I care what you use), I have used a single hook for many years with great success, and very few unintended casualties. " foolish man should ask more questions before shooting off mouth, grasshopper"

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Ok mister make up any scenario so you have something to whine about. Lets try to address some of your delusions, first off, I never sat down to finish my lunch. My lunch happened to be venison sandwich, half gone, your small mind seems to think lunch was a five course meal that I sat down and finished for an hour. I think two bites of a sandwich, the last swig of my coffee and throw my jacket on would take a whole minute. Well I didn't get that far, I opened the door, said I know it's mine, closed the door and looked out the window to see my tip up in his hand. Don't sit at your computer and make up crap about a situation you know very little about. And I don't use double or single trebles because I think it would kill a lot of fish(not that I care what you use), I have used a single hook for many years with great success, and very few unintended casualties. " foolish man should ask more questions before shooting off mouth, grasshopper"
Personal attacks, good to see you are keeping it above the belt. An internet tough guy indeed. You must be very proud of yourself pal.

Listen, I said originally, in the post you quoted but didn't bother to read - I apologise if I was understanding the scenerio incorrectly. The way it happened and the way it comes across in text are often 2 different things.

I'm glad you have success in your fishing, I'm even more glad to hear you don't abuse fish as your first post seemed to ellude to. Since my comment wasn't the first that was critical of your technique, I think the problem was in the way the post was written rather than how I read it.

I take conserving our fish and waters very seriously and abuse of fish is a hot topic with me. It doesnt take much to draw criticism and if I think you are doing something wrong on the ice or water, you are going to hear about it. Had you been doing what it sounded like you were admitting to, I had every right to be critical of your technique and would hope that other fellow anglers would stand up and say something too.  I don't apologise for saying anything I have posted in this thread, only for understanding you improperly.

I have caught and seen tons of catches on a double treble quick strike and never seen a fish that was hooked or played properly die on the ice. It's nice that your technique works for you.

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Ya, whatever. life really is to short for you to sit on your computer endlessly reading posts and trying to find any nit picky detail that you can try to justify complaining about. Get a life, put the mouse down and go drill some holes. Good luck and tight lines.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:28 PM »
lmao
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I cant even imagine some idiot doing this to my flag. In Wisconsin we are allowed to tend 3 lines and I have watched wardens watch people for hours to see who has too many lines. This would have constituted too many lines for the guy which would have resulted in a fine. Now that would have been funny to see happen. :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Ya, whatever. life really is to short for you to sit on your computer endlessly reading posts and trying to find any nit picky detail that you can try to justify complaining about.

Seems to me both of you are nit picking, so who is calling the kettle black?

Get a life, put the mouse down and go drill some holes.

I agree, get a life, put the lunch down, and catch those fish on the tip ups before your neighboring anglers decide to pull them up for you.. Either that or find a lake that nobody else is on, takes care of all your problems, well at least where tipups with fish on and finishing your lunch are concerned. Good luck and tight lines.

Have a great day,
Matt

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I cant even imagine some idiot doing this to my flag. In Wisconsin we are allowed to tend 3 lines and I have watched wardens watch people for hours to see who has too many lines. This would have constituted too many lines for the guy which would have resulted in a fine. Now that would have been funny to see happen. :tipup:

Not really, that wasn't his flag... nor his trap.

Sounds like your DNR has plenty of time and resources, if I see a CO more than once every 3 or 4 years I feel like I'm being spied upon.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Not really, that wasn't his flag... nor his trap.

Sounds like your DNR has plenty of time and resources, if I see a CO more than once every 3 or 4 years I feel like I'm being spied upon.
Our DNR is a joke.... They should be wiped out financially and start over from scratch......
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Our DNR is a joke.... They should be wiped out financially and start over from scratch......

That's not what eyesonice says...
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:40 PM »
That avatar with the two fighten squirrels comes to mind as I read this.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:44 PM »
That's not what eyesonice says...

It ends up costing our dnr 300 dor the day in man hours, gas, ect so the warden can hand out a $150 fine..... Our dnr is run by a bunch of goons...And the wardens that I have seen in action seem to be lacking in the common sense dept.....

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:54 PM »
I have had a guy do that during a fishing contest.  Another reason why I don' t enter contests any more.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the sharing on this topic. This season I had an aquaintance not necessarilly a friend taking my up flagged tip ups. After a couple times I was annoyed especially find out he did not even have his full amount of allowable tip ups out for himself.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I could care less who grabs my tip up.... We rarely tip up fish but when we get them all set up first one to see it gets it or is closest to it, ect what ever, doesnt matter....I have caught enough fish in my life so I really dont care as long as the guy is from our group. The way some of you are complaining I am starting to think that some of you dont catch many fish ???

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:12 PM »
whats up with all the bickering on IS now - a - days?? if you dont like what someone says in their post .. GO ON TO THE NEXT ::)
and i would have laughed at any warden who would give me a ticket for eating the last two bites of a sammy and throwing my coat on before going to a flag-i would see that douche in court and explain it to them so they could laugh at him too-maybe knock down his power trip.. and then i would already be at the courthouse for my trial for punching the flag napper in the jaw lol

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:13 PM »

Isn't that the truth!!! Start from scratch with new employees as well, most of them anyways. The one I met on a local 20 acre lake yesterday seemed to be nice and knowledgable when I asked him a few things about other local lakes. He also had a nice attitude when I couldn't find my fishing license right away...lol. It might have been towards the end of his shift too.

Matt

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:28 PM »
whats up with all the bickering on IS now - a - days?? if you dont like what someone says in their post .. GO ON TO THE NEXT ::)
and i would have laughed at any warden who would give me a ticket for eating the last two bites of a sammy and throwing my coat on before going to a flag-i would see that douche in court and explain it to them so they could laugh at him too-maybe knock down his power trip.. and then i would already be at the courthouse for my trial for punching the flag napper in the jaw lol
Ahaha, gotta love it, a man with a sense of reality and a good sense of humor ;D

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Isn't that the truth!!! Start from scratch with new employees as well, most of them anyways.

Go up the ladder a few more rungs all the way to DC, then purge at will!

But back on topic, The bickering here seems to stem from initial posts starting a thread but lacking sufficient detail.

Spaded, you'd be lucky to have all 3 hearings on the same day but it would be one heck of a Hat-Trick! AND worth every penny of the fine for the Shiner on his eye!!
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:32 PM »
NOREASTER- i dont like to get into the drama. i just never ,ever,saw any nasty comments or ol lady pestering posts like some of these on here and in many other threads BEFORE i became a member... and i admit i was a long time lurker of IS before i became a member and now that i am a member and getting more involved in the IS community i see so many of em that i like to stick to my main threads and reply to the regulars of that room and try to stay out of "chit chat".. but unfortunately there are alot of good reads in the general forum..

and pike44- i thought the original post was hilarious just the way it was,i dont see how some people read that and got angered by it

Offline smokeybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:12 AM »
Funniest thing about this thread so far is that none of you armetures have commented on the guy writing a  mistermeaner ticket.. ;D
Ya..I'm from the back woods, but back here even the amateurs write misdemeanors

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:42 AM »
NOREASTER- i dont like to get into the drama. i just never ,ever,saw any nasty comments or ol lady pestering posts like some of these on here and in many other threads BEFORE i became a member... and i admit i was a long time lurker of IS before i became a member and now that i am a member and getting more involved in the IS community i see so many of em that i like to stick to my main threads and reply to the regulars of that room and try to stay out of "chit chat".. but unfortunately there are alot of good reads in the general forum..

and pike44- i thought the original post was hilarious just the way it was,i dont see how some people read that and got angered by it
I hear ya brother,some people just always see the glass half empty. Sometimes I wonder if a few of these guys are from "peta" posing as sportsman. and then some guy admits to ripping double trebles out of pike mouths and throats, and he's going to lecture me on leaving a circle hook in the water to long, lol. ::)Originaly, just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this, had no idea I would have to defend every detail of the thread. Oh well, probably wont bother posting again. To much agravation for me.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #57 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:27 AM »
I hear ya brother,some people just always see the glass half empty. Sometimes I wonder if a few of these guys are from "peta" posing as sportsman. and then some guy admits to ripping double trebles out of pike mouths and throats, and he's going to lecture me on leaving a circle hook in the water to long, lol. ::)Originaly, just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this, had no idea I would have to defend every detail of the thread. Oh well, probably wont bother posting again. To much agravation for me.
Been running into the same crap all over IS, was attacked on the VT boards for posting there by VT members, looking to provoke responses, all over a lame post about someguy whining about the accesses being plowed, in this the worst of winters in  awhile. Last year I was attacked in PMs as well as posts because I pointed out a minnow trap was illegal for use in NH, as well as posting the daily limit for trapped bait(2 qts liquid). The year before I pointed out on the MA boards that they were only allowed one minnow trap unless they got a "Shiner Permit " from the state allowing them to use up to 10 traps, several of the posters bragged about big minnow hauls with multiple traps, couldn`t be bothered to check the regulations apparently. (i live in MA for a short time-don`t hold it against me JK) I immediately recieved PMs telling me noone cares about the rules, so mind my own business. Apparently John Q. Public is not only a moron, but a slob meat fisherman and a poacher, and let`s not forget internet tuff-guy.
I take pride in adhering to the rules and regulations, and am growing weary of defending myself to people who could care less about the future of the sport and the rules and regulations. I agree with the aggravation factor, but hope you remain a poster pike44. Don`t let the trouble mongers bother ya, they are mild amusement at best and quite frankly several of my dogs crap larger than the lot of em!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:43 AM »

Been running into the same crap all over IS, was attacked on the VT boards for posting there by VT members, looking to provoke responses, all over a lame post about someguy whining about the accesses being plowed, in this the worst of winters in  awhile. Last year I was attacked in PMs as well as posts because I pointed out a minnow trap was illegal for use in NH, as well as posting the daily limit for trapped bait(2 qts liquid). The year before I pointed out on the MA boards that they were only allowed one minnow trap unless they got a "Shiner Permit " from the state allowing them to use up to 10 traps, several of the posters bragged about big minnow hauls with multiple traps, couldn`t be bothered to check the regulations apparently. (i live in MA for a short time-don`t hold it against me JK) I immediately recieved PMs telling me noone cares about the rules, so mind my own business. Apparently John Q. Public is not only a moron, but a slob meat fisherman and a poacher, and let`s not forget internet tuff-guy.
I take pride in adhering to the rules and regulations, and am growing weary of defending myself to people who could care less about the future of the sport and the rules and regulations. I agree with the aggravation factor, but hope you remain a poster pike44. Don`t let the trouble mongers bother ya, they are mild amusement at best and quite frankly several of my dogs crap larger than the lot of em!

It's just words on the internet (and some of them are even spelled correctly) and shouldn't be taken that seriously.

The different POV's are what make message boards interesting.

I've been threatened with bodily harm on here... it made me laugh! ;D

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:59 AM »
 ::) would be upset if someone picked up my flag  if i didn't know them who does that
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.