Author Topic: which heater to use??????  (Read 830 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
which heater to use??????
« on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:04 PM »
who uses which heater and why? I would like some idea on heaters and wonder how long a one lb. cylinder last on the small buddy heater
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
Re: which heater to use??????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:09 PM »
mine lasts about six hours on low, a lot less on high
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline NWIicerookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:11 PM »
i have the small buddy heater i use in my clam basecamp on low it lasts about 5.5 hrs and does more than fine for me

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:15 PM »
i go old school.  got a coleman catalytic heater that i've never ran a full tank of fuel out of when fishing.

Offline ryguy201386

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:17 PM »
i use a coleman single burner cooker top on a 1lb tank in my frabill commando on low nice and warm for 7 hours on 1 tank  

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I use a small buddy heater in my clam and just run on pilot to keep hands warm, works good.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I use a Mr Buddy heater/cooker.

I heat my coffee water on it, and it keeps my 4x8 pretty toasty on low. I have to shut it off after 10 minutes.

I get 3-4 days fishing out of a 1lb tank usually. (my shack is painted black for solar heat and is insulated very well though)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:49 PM »
About 22,000 BTUs in a pound of propane.
Jut divide by the number of BTUs per hour your heater uses
Regular buddy heater is 22,000/4000 so about 5.5 hours but might last longer since pressure decreaes at lower temp

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:00 PM »
my buddy heater lasts about 3 hrs on high and 6 on low

Offline da.mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO PACK GO!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Me and my fishin' buddy have a Mr. Heater run off of a 20# cyclinder. Heats a 3 man Frabill Outpost all too well! Usually lasts the whole season too! I don't use it that often but when I do it works great.
BIG BAIT, BIG FISH!!
"I'm just a jerk on one end of the line...waitin' for a jerk on the other."

Offline cold h2o

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:09 PM »
i use the .buddy heater. and refill my propane myself. about 5hrs on low.  great to cook on.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I use a small Mr. Heater that screws onto the top of a 1lb cylinder.  It will drive me out of my 2-man trap (Guide) on anything higher than low.  It has a thin wire metal frame/stand that allows me to use it to heat up soup too.  I got mine at Farm & Fleet for around $45.  My GF has a little buddy heater, but it does not heat the shanty quite as quickly as the sunflower heater does.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Well i wouldn't use just a lantern unless you have great outdoor gear.   ;)   Trust me...  *cough cough*  :-\

When i broached the subject of heaters with one of the guys at Dick's (who also used to work at Sportmans) what the failure rates lie he told me this:  Coleman had less a return rate across the board, but  I think Mr Heaters just don't like being tossed around.  If i were to pick a heater knowing this?  I would still pick the Mr Heater, throw one of my 10 coupons at it, and a expired 20% off coupon (cuz they are crazy like that) and add the 5 year warranty.  The angled Coleman's look like an accident waiting to happen in any shanty me and my 15" boots are in.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Maybe I'm the only guy here who likes free? I use a small homemade portable wood stove. Maybe a little more trouble to haul around with a milk crate full of cut up wood. But free is free and you can't beat the dry heat with no condensation problems.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:41 PM »
It all depends on shack size. The smaller your shack, the smaller your heater can be to stay warm. Also depends where you live and how cold it gets.

I have a Clam Command post 4-6 person at 8x12. The first night we had a "Little buddy" and it just never did anything for us. Not even close to enough heat. Just way too much space.

Now we run a Mr. Heater double Sunflower on a 20# tank. We live in MN and it can get real cold, but most of the time we just light 1 of the sunflowers and we ALWAYS run on low. That still is plenty of heat and we usually open doors here and there to cool it down and vent it out. We drive our cars out, so i dont worry about weight/bulk of the tank.

All that said, the Big Buddy would probably be a better choice for our shack. Less space than my 20# tank, probably plenty of heat, and we wouldnt have to turn on and off alot. However on real cold days and nights, not sure how it would hold up, but I suspect it would be fine.

So, match your heater to your shack size and weather conditions.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.