Author Topic: home made ice flies  (Read 13360 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: home made ice flies
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:28 AM »
I have a few other secret weapons I've been working on for the Finger lakes. One in particular has me very excited :woot:

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:45 AM »
This is an awesome thread. Nice flies guys.
Never used them through the ice before. Should probably start by the looks.

Offline slednut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:52 AM »
I'm new to this type of fishing again, as I raised my 2 daughters and now have all kind of time on my hands to do whatever I want. I would like to tie my own flies but would appreciate any suggestions on what type or brand of equipment you recommend.

Thanks!

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:38 AM »
Some of my newer flies.  RG, you take some awesome pictures and tie some nice flies.  I don't have a good camera, so I have to use my camera phone and it sucks for good quality pictures.  I'm sure you can see my flies, but not as good as you can with the naked eye.  Hope you guys like.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:27 AM »
I make some ice flies that kill the fish when nobody else can catch them.  Ill post pics when I get time.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Very nice guys!  I do one thing for finicky trout up here and thats tying small beadheads on scud hook.  Seems a little easier to hook fish when they are neutral...  Getting that fly to lay lateral is tough at times, gotta have a strong knot! 
Enjoyed the pictures! :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I make some ice flies that kill the fish when nobody else can catch them.  Ill post pics when I get time.

I'm interested to see what you make.  I think we all feel that way about our ice flies.  I have been out many times and caught fish when nobody else was catching anything.  In fact just yesterday morning I went out and nobody was catching anything and I started catching them.  I didn't light them on fire, but I caught at least three times more than the next closest guy.  One guy came up to me and asked what I was using and I showed them to him and sold him a dozen of them.  He said he was there at daylight and it was 11:30 and he only had 3 fish on the ice.  He tied them on and within 20 minutes he caught 4 nice fish and yelled out to me "your jigs are awesome and really catch the fish".  I chuckled and told him of course they do or I wouldn't have them on the end of my line.  I guess what I'm getting at is we all swear by our ice flies and I'm sure they all are like dynamite on the ice.  By the way I am only about 5 minutes from you and if you want to hook up sometime to do some fishing or ice fly trading, let me know and I woul dbe glad to do either.   

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:41 PM »

Been doing these for centuries ( yeah I'm that old ) . have to use extra weight in water deeper than 10'.

plastic and small metal beads offer almost no resistance when the fish suck them in. Can get fish to hit them bare but I still tip with waxworm or maggot just to give some smell.

Two nice sites to visit for jig tyers and tackle makers. crappie.com and jigcraft.com

Jigcraft pretty new but that place reeks of talent.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I got about 50 flies set up for the camera then I get it and take some pics and you can barely see anything :'(  Looks horrible.  Its a decent 6mp camera but I can't take a pic that isn't super fussy and screwed up.  Can somebody get me some camera help because I got some good ideas I want to share.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Set it for close up and hit the auto focus. Generally a 1/2 depression of the button you push to take the picture. 

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #70 on: Dec 24, 2010, 11:32 AM »
my camera has a pic of a little flower on it. thats the micro setting. for up close and fine detail. mines a scooby doo version so i would guess yours would have it..lol!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Yeah, try it on MACRO setting which is usually found in your program set up.  Most cameras have a "flower" as the macro button or program...
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Thanks guys I got a decent pic! Heres a random assortment of flies I tie. They are flies for different species and different seasons.  PM me if you're interested in buying/ swapping.  I will tie any color or size I can find.  I also tie many more patterns if you're interested.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Dec 24, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Nice!

Good to see some other tying addicts!

RG

Offline pipeline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:22 PM »
are you using just the fly or you rigging them above a flashing spoon ? i almost  always tie a jig above thought flies would work somthing to try this year :o

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:28 PM »
are you using just the fly or you rigging them above a flashing spoon ? i almost  always tie a jig above thought flies would work somthing to try this year :o
Personally I tie all my flies with lead wire underneath so no need for a jig but before I started doing that I would use a fly as a dropper under a jig.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:30 PM »
its really neat to see all the ideas that are out there and the thoughts behind them.

i have made mine as streamline as possible and use the paint and colors to attract the fish. no "breathing" feathers or marabou. i came to this from years of sight fishing neutral to negative fish in gin clear water. watching the fish come in and nip a feather or crystalflash tail sucks. often as the spring bobber dips and i set the hook the short striking fish spooks! our lakes are loaded with caddis larva and shrimp so i keep 'em pretty streamlined. that also aids in the drop rate.
are you guys fishing the bead heads horizontal or just hanging??

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:03 PM »
its really neat to see all the ideas that are out there and the thoughts behind them.

i have made mine as streamline as possible and use the paint and colors to attract the fish. no "breathing" feathers or marabou. i came to this from years of sight fishing neutral to negative fish in gin clear water. watching the fish come in and nip a feather or crystalflash tail sucks. often as the spring bobber dips and i set the hook the short striking fish spooks! our lakes are loaded with caddis larva and shrimp so i keep 'em pretty streamlined. that also aids in the drop rate.
are you guys fishing the bead heads horizontal or just hanging??

I try to remember to pull the knot down on the hook eye every time I catch a fish, but I don't always remember as I want to get back down to the fish ASAP.  I hear that tying a palomar knot helps, but I'm nost sure.  I also heard that tying on scud hooks helps a lot too, but I'm still wet behind the ears about most of this stuff.  I learnd a few tricks from an old timer tonight out on the ice and it helped me to catch quite a few more fish.  The more I can learn the better I'll be, so I'm like a sponge and keep soaking up as much information as I can.  A Bomb, I would be interested in trying out a few of your jigs.  They are pretty "streamlined" as you say, but sometimes less can be better.  Let me know if there is any way that I could get a few of them.  Merry X-Mas to all!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #78 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:41 AM »
I started out using flies as a dropper under a small swedish pimple or kastmaster. Then I tried tying them above a jig, then alone with added weight when tied.

They all work under different conditions.

RG

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:16 AM »
I am so jealous of you guys ,they look aw some ,mine look like they ,lets just they have character ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #80 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:46 AM »
You ARE a character ;D

Have Trapper give you some lessons. He's the master fly guru....no kidding....he's a very good fly tier.

RG

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:29 AM »
around N indiana there is traditional ice fly that is simply a killer. i wouldn't post his pics but here is a link to a post that wax worm made. these things are simply awesome and will flat out put fish on the ice when nothing else will. tied with floss or thread they are devastating on the crappie and gills in the hands of a good fly fisher. exspecially those fish in a negative mood!!
so here is a link to one of his posts and the ONLY time i have seen him post a pic of them!

this style is what alot of us indiana guys grew up fishing and the quality tyers are few and far between!! waxworm is one of the best ice fly guys around!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154815.msg1514556#msg1514556

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #82 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:45 PM »
WOW...can't believe i passed over this thread so many times.kickin' myself now! alot of great work. i never tied or fish flies,but i just started.LOL!  they look like a good alternative when the fish get tight lipped.     hey RG, nice shop by the way! really like your jig boxes too! makes my tackle box look like it was hit by a train! i'm going to redo it right now!!good luck & thanks for sharin'

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:05 PM »
I do some weave patterns for summer gills. Never thought sbout tying them over lead for weight. HHHmmmmmmmm!

Endless possibilities ;D

RG

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:43 PM »
can't wait to get out and try these flies. the 2nd column hace glow in the dark bead.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:19 AM »
Very nice patterns. I'm hoping for an "experimental" day this week to try my new fly patterns.

RG

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:54 AM »
I've been working on an Oak Leaf Bug (aka Crane Fly Larvae) for ice fishing o the Finger Lakes.
Whatcha' think?

RG

Offline qoperator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 27, 2010, 04:06 AM »
Man thats one B.A. lookin fly. I would cry there on the ice if I lost that one. WOW! Nice.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #88 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:28 AM »
nice Bob! that looks real!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Nice rg,  i pulled out a perch with a 3 inch grub in its throat,looked like a crane fly but it was extremely fat.  I bet that one you got there will work nice bounching in the muck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.