Author Topic: Carhartt  (Read 19730 times)

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
Carhartt
« on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:24 AM »
I own a coverall suit and I love it.  It keeps me nice and warm.  When I drill my holes and want to look down the hole I have to lay on the ice.  The suit dosen't even get wet.  It is made of very strong material also.  It probably has been the best purchase I have ever made! ;D  

RSQCAL

Re: Carhartt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:33 AM »
I've got the pants and jacket. Can't beat them !!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2003, 02:27 PM »
I use the Helly-Hansen waterproof bibs with fleece lining under a Columbia two layer parka over a polar fleece shirt.  I have yet to get cold with this combination.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2003, 06:12 PM »
I wear my Carhartt jackets and bibs proudly everyday for ice fishing and everyday the weather is sour when I work. Would not trade them for anything.

insane4eyes

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2003, 04:24 PM »
My carhartt bibs and jacket have never failed me I love them keep me warm and dry no matter what i'm doin.  They are really tought too can take a real beating

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2003, 04:42 PM »
It is probably the strongest material for clothes on the market.  My dad bought a upland coat for hunting that they used to make and it has lasted for many years.  I wish they still made them.  I really would like to get one for myself.  

T_and_D_Pike

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:08 PM »
The best you can buy.

GatorSlayer

Re:Carhartt
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2003, 10:35 AM »
Ahhh, Carhartts! They have yet to fail me! I love my black bibs and jacket, the color works even better on the sunny days, absorbing the sun's heat. They work so good I even convinced my misus to buy a set!

Carhartt. (unofficially)  The Official Clothing Brand of the Ice Fisherman Around the World.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2003, 10:45 PM »
Can't beat Carhartts for Ironman icefishing (no shelter, just a 5 gallon bucket.)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2003, 10:46 AM »
Ok I know I'll here it for this but Carharts arent what they used to be. I live in them for work but they don't hold up as well as they did 10 yrs ago But if you want to make them better, spray them with Scotch Guard they will be a little more waterproof. A friend of mine uses Thompson Water seal on his bibs now thats waterproof. But they get a little stiff.  For fishing I use a snowmobile suit its waterproof and real warm.
Cold Feet

SafeIce

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2003, 04:01 AM »
Carhartts and them Bata Boots!

Match made in heven!

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:26 PM »
How much does a Carhartt coverall suit cost? I may be looking to get one this year. Thanks - fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

flaggggg

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:52 PM »
Got my bibs and jacket with the hood at the army and navy 85 bucks each 2 years ago probably last the rest of my life if l don't get too fat with age ;).... :'(

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:50 PM »
Can't beat em!!!  I wear carhartt proudly almost daily.
Saftey First!!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:37 PM »
Carhartt by far the best clothing I have ever worn as my fellow fishermen are attesting to. They are waterproof and very warm even in a biting northeast wind. If you wanna stay warm wear carhartt and you will enjoy the day a lot more :)

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Kimball

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2005, 09:10 AM »
I'll sing the praises too but with a word of warning: You have to fully dry them out if they ever do get wet and they need to be washed now and again.  I worked in the woods this summer as pre-commercial thinner and wore a pair of double-knee carharts every day.  The problem is the dew in the morning and the sweat of the afternoon kept them perpetually damp.  My girlfriend wouldn't let me wash them in the machine 'cause they were always covered with pitch and tar with the pockets full of spruce and fir needles.

The eventually DISINTEGRATED due to rot.  Still they lasted 3 months, 6 days a week, 9 hours a day tearing throught raspberry bushes and briars until they finally gave up the ghost.. pretty good in my mind!

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2005, 04:51 PM »
i got a carhart vest for my cristmas last year, wore it all throug deer seson with a sweat crap under neath worked great and i got a jacket for christmas this year best jaket i ve ever had worn almost evry day science

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Basshuntah

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Carhartt are the straight deal, nothin beat em' I wear em' ever day, and talk about durable. Dang  ;D

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:22 PM »
I too shout praises about my carharts, I managed to get a new set of insulated bibs from the galyaans clearane sale 100 bucks for the set,,THE ONLY problem I have EVER had outa them is..The new set is Black even afterwashing them 5 or 6 times trying to loosen`em up a bitI still get the dye on my hands after getting them wet in the ice holes and wiping them on my pant leg.. As well as tryin to loosen`em up some more,anyone think the commerical washer and dryers at laundry mats might help this? I dont wear these any other time than fishing so I`m not into haveing black hands and a hood that knocks my hat off every time I bend down to get a fish.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I love my Carhartt's too, but I wouldn't wear them on the ice, they would be like wearing a suit of Ice. Great work cloths but not for my outdoor pursuits

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:33 PM »
I wear my Carhaarts on a daily basis at work and have transitioned them over to ice fishing as well... they're remarkably waterproof I find but as stated will stay damp all day if they get real wet... I recently bought a Mustang floater suit for ice fishing but I'll continue to drag this one out for Saturday night beer fest on ice :)

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2005, 07:52 PM »
I wear my Carhaarts on a daily basis at work and have transitioned them over to ice fishing as well... they're remarkably waterproof I find but as stated will stay damp all day if they get real wet... I recently bought a Mustang floater suit for ice fishing but I'll continue to drag this one out for Saturday night beer fest on ice :)

Your going to love the Mustang.  I use a Stearns I570 Anti Exposure / Floatation suit and love it!
Which model did you go with?

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2005, 09:17 PM »
Tarbot, I bought the Classic MS185.  One of the more inexpensive they sell but was happy to shell over the $300 CAD.  I have a few friends who have the Buoy-O-Bouy suits and more than one complains they aren't as warm as they would have expected.  Another buddy of mine has a Mustang and you can't shut him up about it!  So it was an easy decision. :)

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2005, 04:40 PM »
HI BUCKETMOUTH ;D

NICE picture,,, ;D

thats a nice one you baught body,,,

you sher will be confy in that suit at petrie this winter,,,,, ;),,,

i have to get one off those ,,,,,i have a carhart to,,,the hole suit,,,but it those get heavy,,, :-\

take care and see you soon,,,,,,, :)

joco

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2005, 12:52 PM »
I am a Carhartt poster Child.  Well, my kid is anyway, I am more of a poster adult.  Between the wife, kid, and I, there are 6 Carhartt artics, 2 pairs of bibs and probably 10 or more hats.  The jeans are indestructable too. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2005, 01:57 PM »
I bought a set of the brown coveralls in 1989 and used them icin till 2003.Basically the knees wore out. Now got the new black coveralls and theyre even better. About 150 bucks.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2005, 02:32 PM »
didnt know there was anything else everone in my neck of the northwoods owns carhartts some guys buy $300 arctic cat jackets for snowmobiling $300 blaze orange parkas for hunting and $200 columbia winter jackets for winter. I bought 1 carhartt jacket and 1 pair of carhartt bibs i dont own another jacket for cold weather.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Hey guys,

Hoping you Carhartt guys can help me out here.  I am looking to buy a pair of Carhartt bib overalls for ice fishing, snowblowing the driveway, and just playing with the kids in the snow.  I live in Western New York, where temps are usually 15 -30 degrees.  Here are my questions:

1.  Would you recommend the regular lined or Arctic lined overalls?

2.  Do you usually wear somehting under them (jeans or long underwear)?

3.  If I have a 36 inch waist, should I get 36 inch waist overalls, or go up one size to 38 inches.

Thanks!  Can't wait to get them! ;)

Offline tomevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:11 PM »
i would try them on if i was you as i wear 32 inch waist in pants but prefer almost 40 in carhat bibs.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:05 AM »
first off, bucketmouth, that is an awsome pic, love the background. you should make that your avatar.

i usually wear my old ski pant out in the warmer times but you cannot beat carhart, thick, warm, wicks water for the most part, and best of all easy on, easy off. i wear them working and fishing, like duct tape you wear, there all purpose. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.