Author Topic: First Ice Suit  (Read 2846 times)

Offline tgus59

• IceShanty Rookie
First Ice Suit
« on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I've fished for years in Carharts and a winter coat and I'm sick of wet frozen knee's.  What kind of ice suit do you have and what would you reccomend?

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: First Ice Suit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:21 PM »
There are MANY good ones out there.  I have the Vexilar suit, top notch in my mind, and priced right too.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Love my frabill IceSuit

Offline ShortStix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I have the Ice Armor blue suit, love it. very comfortable lots more flexible then the carhardts. never had any problems with it, I also found that wearing sweatpants under them instead of jeans is more comfortable.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011, 02:47 PM »
I have the Ice Armor blue suit, love it. very comfortable lots more flexible then the carhardts. never had any problems with it, I also found that wearing sweatpants under them instead of jeans is more comfortable.

I also have the smurf suit and I really like it. I always used to wear my Drake waterfowl bibs and waterfowl parka, The blue suit keeps me WAY warmer. The wind does not get to you and it is waterproof, a huge improvement on my waterfowler gear  ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Arctic Armor green and black suit.  Floats ya if you fall thru and not bulky whatsoever.  Love mine.

They have duck and deer patterns also I believe that are "quieter" than the regular plus sets.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Check out the dressing for ice thread on the community page, lots of info and reviews in there !

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:07 PM »
+1 for Artic Armor suit.  Was a Carhart guy, glad I got a suit.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I wear my summer rain gear or my snowmobile bibs....

Offline murf311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:23 PM »
I also have the blue ice armor suit and aside from the coat being to a little large for my liking, I love it. debated getting rid of it this season as I just got a ice shack and turned away from doing so. Anything is better than nothing but well worth the investment.

Shack- Viking LX300
Rod - HT Ice Blue
Line - Berkley Nanofil
Lure - Hexifly
Sonar - Showdown 5.6
Auger - Jiffy model 30

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I love my blue suit... When it gets  wicked cold you just have to layer a little more no big deal... Iam pretty active moving around alot  hole hoping...so i dont really have a cold issues... i second the sweatpants idea too!.... :tipup:

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:47 AM »

Next to my flip over, my blue Ice Armor suit has proved to be one of my best purchases. I rarely wear the coat, but I will never be wear wet Carharts again. Excellent point about the sweatpants over jeans.
Matt

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:59 AM »
I got the Arctic Armor green and black suit during an end of season sale last Spring. I've only used my during early open water fishing and I liked it a lot. The padding in the knees is going to save my knees on those long days on the ice.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I've got the black Arctic Armor suit. The Clam suits are awesome I just want to come back through the hole if I fall in.

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I REALLY wish I could find just the xtreme grey bibs! I may just settle for the insulated clam bibs since I'm in my flip over a lot. Although my carhartts have yet to leave me miserable.

Rouser, did you see that ice armor has max 4? I really thought about that to kill two birds with one stone.

Offline FISHAHOLIC-19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I REALLY wish I could find just the xtreme grey bibs! I may just settle for the insulated clam bibs since I'm in my flip over a lot. Although my carhartts have yet to leave me miserable.

Rouser, did you see that ice armor has max 4? I really thought about that to kill two birds with one stone.
I read somewhere that the insulated clam bibs are the same specs as the xtreme grey bibs. I think the only difference in the to is that there isn't any padding in the seat area of the clam bibs.
I have the grey xtreme Ice Armor suit and love it.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I have the sportsmans guide suite,  it may not float but it's very warm, lots of pockets, heavy duty and 1/4 the price others mentioned. Not one bit disappointed in it

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I have the sportsmans guide suite,  it may not float but it's very warm, lots of pockets, heavy duty and 1/4 the price others mentioned. Not one bit disappointed in it

Which one do you have? do you have a link to it?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2011, 09:34 AM »

Came home from work last night to find my beautiful wife picked me up a pair of the black insulated ice armor bibs from Scheels!

Beings that I've taken such good care of myself since highschool... They gave me motivation to watch what I eat and start taking the dog for a few more walks before the ice gets here!

Offline JCrawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Just buy a Sno Suite and call it done... Best ver made.
Oh, and grab a pair of muck lucks from Ely MN... They know what the F they are doing up there.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:33 PM »
I don't have a suit but I love my Ice Armour gloves I have squeezed water out of them before and my hands were still dry.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2011, 04:48 PM »
frabil ice suit is like a shack on yer back, beefy yet comfortable

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:01 PM »
 I own the Pre Frabil Artic series Snosuit. It has held up very well up over two seasons of abuse.  Super warm!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:38 PM »
I checked them all out over the weekend. The Sno Suit rules. It costs the most money and does not float. The Arctic Armor floats but not close to design and quality of the snowsuit. Nothing wrong with Vexilar, or Clam suits either. Since I am broke and unemployed I get to wear my decades old "custom" suit.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline hardH2Onut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchville
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:55 PM »
sno suit.  I think they are associated with frabil now.  BEST investment I have purchased for ice fishing next to my fl-20.  WARM WARM WARM and made with extreme quality.
"HAVE ICE?? WILL TRAVEL!!"

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:11 PM »
I just got a striker lite floating suit, the length is adjustable on the bibs it has the under arm vents lots of pockets, can't wait to try it out.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Check out the Striker ICE suits. They are the only ones with vented jackets, adjustable inseam length, magnetic storm cuff closures and tons of features the other brands don't have. And they float. They're getting lots of attention in the forums and online but they aren't sold in any big box stores.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.